Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raksheeth01

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
so you start out with a guy waking up, and its obvious this guy has sever OCD. everything in his house is squeaky clean, and he has a routine that he follows every morning. The key is, you never see this guy talk, he just goes about his normal routine that he does every morning.

The narration sets in and start talking about " I am samuel johnson, and I am the best assassin in the world. I study my targets meticulously (show him reading the paper), and take the best care of myself ( show him brushing his teeth or somethin) and I am always thinkin one step ahead.

Then this OCD guy walks out the front door of his house, on his way to his car for work, and gets his head blown off. Then the camera shifts to somewhere else in the bushes, and shows a guy all in black with a sniper riffle, and he says "and that is why I am the best"

I think it would be cool cause if you did it right, the whole time you would be thinking that the guy getting ready is the sniper, getting ready to go and and get his target, but then in the last scene, you realize he is the target.

I am very interested in using this synopsis to build a script for an upcoming short-film I am going to shoot. Would it be okay to use this idea? If so, who do I credit?

mimi gold

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
edmonton
mimi

someone phones up the samaritans and the samaritan suggests its fine and acceptable to commit suicide. this is the training they received~not to interfere with the clients freewill. after doing this for a while they themselves become numb to the shock effect of suicide and try to do it themselves out of ennui.
they find themselves in hell as punishment for dying in their sins (self murder)
but somehow get to be revived and come back to earth/life. when they start life again their perspective has been radically changed and they can't any longer allow people to consider suicide over the phone to them. they now have to persuade people not to do it. they do this through a revelation of jesus love for the lonely and oppressed.

MiitchFMP

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Short Film Ideas (feedback)

Hey, Ive just started to create a short film and would appreciate it if i could get some feedback on the idea. Its very brief and still needs a lot of expanding but any comments will help a lot.

http://mitchellgfmp.blogspot.com/

(feel free to reply on here or blog)

thanks

GeorgieStargirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
OK, here it goes...

Shots of a quiet town. Everyone is going about their boring, mudane daily schedules.

Shot of a man dressed in all black sneaking around an alley. He approaches a lever and pulls it down.

The entire town goes black and white. People are shocked, confused, and panicked. The town floods out of their homes, offices, etc. and fonto the streets in search of the cause of the B&W color change.

One man finally wanders down the alley and finds the lever. He turns it back on and everything goes back to normal. Everyone celebrates. The man raises his arms in triumph and walks away.

The "man in black" sneaks out into the alley again, turns the lever off, rips it off the wall, and takes it with him. The scene changes to black and white. Celebrating people look confused, look to the sky, fade out.

Hmmm... maybe it's a little cheesy, but with a sick music track in the background (starts out slow and minor, gets more and more intense, when the color comes back on it reaches a climax and modulates into a major key, and suddenly goes back to the mood in the beggining when the color is turned back off) it might turn out pretty cool. If you find or write a good song to fit the film, I don't think you'd need any other audio. I'm all about short films with hidden underlying messages, and I think this one would fit the bill.

Hope this helps!

Hi, would it be possible for me to use this idea?? I think it could make a great little short!! :D

MrBlueGlance

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
Okay, so this guy has to do a short film for school and cant think about what to write. He:
1) falls asleep at the typewriter/MBP and dreams about wacky things such as saving a complete stranger from ninjas or something.
B) his annoying friend comes over and bothers him, they go party/etc. and he has a crazy wacky night fighting ninjas or something.
He wakes up/goes home and writes the script about it, turns it in and gets an A.
Good luck, I hate writing on a deadline (which is why I have a secret stash of previously written scripts for such a situation!)

I just stumbled on this forum cuz I myself am making a short film and am having a little bit of writers block or so to speak ;) but great ideas!

jtspeer

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
show a man sitting in a coffee shop

hes reading the paper and everything seems nice

the waitress comes and gives him a coffee which he gingerly sips on

flash back

its the kitchen... the person who is making the coffee cuts her finger off (i'll let u figure out how)

blood squirts everywhere as you cut slow motion to the severed finger falling into the coffee cup with a bunch of blood

you zoom into the cup and zoom out showing the cup just hitting the mans lips

you cut wide and in the background a girl is being rushed to the ER and the medic is screaming "wears the finger!"

people look around in frantic but the main guy doesn't seem to notice (he hasn't taken a sip yet cause something in the paper caught his attention..)

you then pan down to his pocket where an iPod is attached with the cord running up his shirt

the man takes a sip of his coffee and continues reading the paper

the camera pans out as an ambulance sits out side waiting and the lady is rushed out with the head medical man saying "we are not leaving without that finger!" and some jack johnson or something calm plays in the background

fade out....

chya...

Hey! So you posted this short film idea 6 years ago, and I actually used the idea for my film/video class back in high school. I've been trying to find this forum again so I could send you the video haha.

I made it 3 or 4 years ago as an assignment. My teacher entered it in a local film festival and it won first place, so i figured it would only be fair for me to show you the video since I got the idea from you in the first place lol. I even got a nice plastic trophy...

The actual assignment was to make a video using primarily closeups. Here's a link to the video (and remember it was only highschool, I did the best I could lol) enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/48307059

emcoemir

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Hello to all,

I have a blog thats covering short film ideas and other stuff related to movies..There are many ideas for short film i have just put a few on a website but im writting some more articles on that subject..you can read this article on ideas on this link and tell me what you think...Also you will find some more movie related articles.

http://www.thenecessarytheatre.org/find-inspiration-for-great-short-film-ideas/

Yes thenecessarytheatre.org is a nice website for movie ideas..maybe you should add some more articles about short movie ideas..

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
In the end of the day if one has any talent and want to make you own video material, one should have no problem. The problem is how to convert ones idea into a shooting format.
A person had a idea how to make a video about the D.Day invasion with 12 actors. He did it. But i cant find the clip on YouTube.:apple:

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Nice little video. One slight distraction. Close up of hand, no wedding ring?.
Not that it is important but it caught my attention.:apple:

andy1902b

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
so you start out with a guy waking up, and its obvious this guy has sever OCD. everything in his house is squeaky clean, and he has a routine that he follows every morning. The key is, you never see this guy talk, he just goes about his normal routine that he does every morning.

The narration sets in and start talking about " I am samuel johnson, and I am the best assassin in the world. I study my targets meticulously (show him reading the paper), and take the best care of myself ( show him brushing his teeth or somethin) and I am always thinkin one step ahead.

Then this OCD guy walks out the front door of his house, on his way to his car for work, and gets his head blown off. Then the camera shifts to somewhere else in the bushes, and shows a guy all in black with a sniper riffle, and he says "and that is why I am the best"

I think it would be cool cause if you did it right, the whole time you would be thinking that the guy getting ready is the sniper, getting ready to go and and get his target, but then in the last scene, you realize he is the target.

Hey Proto Media...loved the story. Am a wannabe filmmaker and am shooting a short-film. Can I use your story? I don't have money to pay you, but I would love to add your name in the credits.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Great Idea

Ok so my next short film is going to be this, but since i'm just making it as an excuse to mess around with my buddies on a film set. Anybody can feel free to make a variation of the idea. Its basically about the evolution of a mac user, the first scene is a kid (played by my little bro) walking in from school and yelling to his mother "look what I got" and its a imac g3 that his school was giving away to people. So as he starts playing around with os 9 he thinks to himself "wow this is amazing but I just wish it was running os x" . I know i'll go on craigslist and buy a copy of jaguar. So after he installs it and gets his shiny new to him imac g3. Then eventually he buys a imac g4, powermac g4 then powerbook g4 and powermac g5. Then a macbook and so and so all the way up till be gets a mac pro 12 core and macbook pro retina.
It shows how macs inspire people to do more and what starts out as just wanting to play around in os 9 eventually leads him to being a young adult running a graphic design company (played by me) theres tons of comedy along the way with shock jokes a plenty and some funny scenes we all can relate to being mac users.

More Power to you is coming out on DvD and Video Download The Spring of 2014

organic arts

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
My short film idea

Ok so I'm still developing it but what do you guys/gals thing about this. I was reading on that website http://www.shortfilmidea.com an idea about bullying and i think that if I can get an actual boxer (like Klitchko or Tyson) to sign on it'd be cool:

A girl who is constantly bullied before, during and after school is taken under the wing of a retired prize fighter. He teaches her how to defend herself but not in boxing tactics sort of way but he teaches her the importance of using her mind and smarts. Boxing in a lot of ways is about who is smarter so he does that. In the end, she figures out a way to stop the bullying without anyone getting hurt....

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Dont ask. Just go and make it. You learn all the art of video making. Good or bad.
Good Luck.;)

purpleflicks

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Do some research. Even if you know your topic well, still do research for it. You can use the Internet and the library to find information. You may also, talk to people who know about or are interested in your subject.

Once you have a general topic in which you are interested, try to narrow it down. If you are interested in cars, try to figure out what specifically interests you. Make ideas and take lots of notes.

For example, narrow down a documentary about cars to one about a group of people who work on classic cars and gather to show them off and talk about cars. A number of things that you might include in your documentary would be:

Interview lots of people

Recordings of events as they happen

Pictures, drawings and/or documents (If you decide to use other people's work in your work, such as videos, pictures or sound recordings, you must get permission to use them before you add them to your documentary)

Interview people. Get interviews from people who have knowledge of or are interested in your topic. If you get as many as interviews you will have a more diverse and interesting piece.Make sure to take notes and film the interview.

BaronVonBrian

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014

I would like to do this as my first attempt in film making. Who do I credit? What do I credit you with?

depressedcake

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Australia
ideas for a JOURNEY short movie?

on this subject, i just want to know if you guys could help me with a 3-5 minute short movie for a school submission. it has to be about a JOURNEY of some type. so if you guys could help me it would be much appreciated. :) thanks

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
on this subject, i just want to know if you guys could help me with a 3-5 minute short movie for a school submission. it has to be about a JOURNEY of some type. so if you guys could help me it would be much appreciated. :) thanks

What do you aim to do in relation to filmmaking. If you want to be in any of the creative roles you will at some point have to come up with ideas of your own.

Instead of asking for an idea on from someone else do some research into idea generation.

Maybe it’s something as simple as searching ‘journey’ on Google images and using some of the images as a mood board for your narrative.

Or you could go and find 10 different people and ask them about a journey they have been on and see if you could recreate an element of it fictionally.

webfilms

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Short Film Ideas

Confess to something you did and then show the video to the person you are confessing to and film the results. You could have two good 5 min. short films. You said no people but it would just be you and another person maybe you record the voice and show images which tell the story with out using images of people. The goal is to learn to tell a story. Pick an idea that gets you excited enough to pick up the camera and then go for it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey Guys, I have to do a short film and I can't think of anything in terms of the story. Can you please help me? Maybe throw some ideas out in to the atmoshpere. :D It can be about anything. Thanks!

I'm never at a loss for ideas, it's time I'm short of.

1) Girl or guy your age finds a bag of money, more than $100K inside and goes nuts thinking about what to spend it all of, or maybe to tuen it in. In the end s/he sees all the serial numbers are identical, it's counterfeit.

2) girls walks, takes metro, walks and so on. But keeps seeing sone following her, to at least she thinks she does. Panic starts then she thinks something must be wrong because to is afraid. In the end it's the fear that gets here no the follower.

3) Some old song or fairly take is really true. Mary really does tale a lamb to school. But this is modern suburban USA and lamb does things but they find n rule in the book against lambs. Pick some other old story and pull in toto "today" and see where it goes.

There are a billion things you can do and it really does not matter. the more "off the wall" and dumb sounding the better. Any idea can work Either of the above if done well could be good.

4) the guy meets girl film is always good. Make one or booth of them really quirky and put it in a totally unexpected setting like they are doing community service as a sentence of some minor crime (DUI?)

PLAYwordER

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
So I'm thinking of doing a short (5, 10, 15 - 20 mins max) Afro/Caribbean dance movie. Thing, is I have the idea, the equipment, maybe not all the budget but nothing I can't make stretch. I just need a bloody script. Any takers? I'll write more about it if so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.