Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert Glover

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2017
Omaha, Ne
Hey Guys, I have to do a short film and I can't think of anything in terms of the story. Can you please help me? Maybe throw some ideas out in to the atmoshpere. :D It can be about anything. Thanks!
[doublepost=1491403364][/doublepost]Don't stress about what short film to do. You do a short film that you like make sure you make sense when you do the short film.

ChrisMcNair

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
best short film idea ever

so you start out with a guy waking up, and its obvious this guy has sever OCD. everything in his house is squeaky clean, and he has a routine that he follows every morning. The key is, you never see this guy talk, he just goes about his normal routine that he does every morning.

The narration sets in and start talking about " I am samuel johnson, and I am the best assassin in the world. I study my targets meticulously (show him reading the paper), and take the best care of myself ( show him brushing his teeth or somethin) and I am always thinkin one step ahead.

Then this OCD guy walks out the front door of his house, on his way to his car for work, and gets his head blown off. Then the camera shifts to somewhere else in the bushes, and shows a guy all in black with a sniper riffle, and he says "and that is why I am the best"

I think it would be cool cause if you did it right, the whole time you would be thinking that the guy getting ready is the sniper, getting ready to go and and get his target, but then in the last scene, you realize he is the target.
Can I please use this idea for a student film. If so it would be good if I could have your name to credit you as the writer. Thanks

musicisawesome92

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2017

so you start out with a guy waking up, and its obvious this guy has sever OCD. everything in his house is squeaky clean, and he has a routine that he follows every morning. The key is, you never see this guy talk, he just goes about his normal routine that he does every morning.

The narration sets in and start talking about " I am samuel johnson, and I am the best assassin in the world. I study my targets meticulously (show him reading the paper), and take the best care of myself ( show him brushing his teeth or somethin) and I am always thinkin one step ahead.

Then this OCD guy walks out the front door of his house, on his way to his car for work, and gets his head blown off. Then the camera shifts to somewhere else in the bushes, and shows a guy all in black with a sniper riffle, and he says "and that is why I am the best"

I think it would be cool cause if you did it right, the whole time you would be thinking that the guy getting ready is the sniper, getting ready to go and and get his target, but then in the last scene, you realize he is the target.
[doublepost=1496450324][/doublepost]Hi. I just wanted to tell you my friend and I really like your idea and are making this film, but are making a few subtle changes. It should be up in a few hours/a day. We will post a link when it is done.

gabstar

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
A bit abstract, but I like it...

OK, here it goes...

Shots of a quiet town. Everyone is going about their boring, mudane daily schedules.

Shot of a man dressed in all black sneaking around an alley. He approaches a lever and pulls it down.

The entire town goes black and white. People are shocked, confused, and panicked. The town floods out of their homes, offices, etc. and fonto the streets in search of the cause of the B&W color change.

One man finally wanders down the alley and finds the lever. He turns it back on and everything goes back to normal. Everyone celebrates. The man raises his arms in triumph and walks away.

The "man in black" sneaks out into the alley again, turns the lever off, rips it off the wall, and takes it with him. The scene changes to black and white. Celebrating people look confused, look to the sky, fade out.

Hmmm... maybe it's a little cheesy, but with a sick music track in the background (starts out slow and minor, gets more and more intense, when the color comes back on it reaches a climax and modulates into a major key, and suddenly goes back to the mood in the beggining when the color is turned back off) it might turn out pretty cool. If you find or write a good song to fit the film, I don't think you'd need any other audio. I'm all about short films with hidden underlying messages, and I think this one would fit the bill.

Hope this helps!
[doublepost=1503275581][/doublepost]Great idea

weavemat

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
Hello all,

I am interested in creating a short film. I have a rough plan on what I want in it, but don't really have much filler. I know I want it to be based around tragedy, faith, and self-destruction. It's to focus on a teenager coping with his mother's passing, during which he turns to drugs and alcohol for comfort. During all of this, he rejects his friends. I want the film to have faith as a back burner, but still represent the theme of "finding a light at the end of the tunnel," the light being the character's faith. But it isn't suppose to be a straightforward thing. I want to show his struggles and his pain, and how it brings him to his faith, which wouldn't really happen until the end of the film.

I am well aware that this is a lot of detail for someone who can't write his own script. I have written some of it, such as the first few scenes, but I can't figure out how to get from Point A to Point B. That's where I need someone to come in and help me write the script. I would be more than happy to give credit to them for writing the script. I know it's a big task, especially with all of the heavy themes I want to incorporate into it, so I won't be offended or terribly upset if nobody can help me. I just figured it would be worth a shot.

Please reply, if you can,

Thanks

kroe

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
mabank tx
Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I have written a couple of stories, one of which is published and was under contract to become a movie. that fell through so trying again. the other is a short story. I am looking for a film crew in need of a project or even film students that think they can make this happen. if interested, please contact me for further discussion and story info.

BeratAhmetaj

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2017
Hello all,

I am interested in creating a short film. I have a rough plan on what I want in it, but don't really have much filler. I know I want it to be based around tragedy, faith, and self-destruction. It's to focus on a teenager coping with his mother's passing, during which he turns to drugs and alcohol for comfort. During all of this, he rejects his friends. I want the film to have faith as a back burner, but still represent the theme of "finding a light at the end of the tunnel," the light being the character's faith. But it isn't suppose to be a straightforward thing. I want to show his struggles and his pain, and how it brings him to his faith, which wouldn't really happen until the end of the film.

I am well aware that this is a lot of detail for someone who can't write his own script. I have written some of it, such as the first few scenes, but I can't figure out how to get from Point A to Point B. That's where I need someone to come in and help me write the script. I would be more than happy to give credit to them for writing the script. I know it's a big task, especially with all of the heavy themes I want to incorporate into it, so I won't be offended or terribly upset if nobody can help me. I just figured it would be worth a shot.

Please reply, if you can,

Thanks

Hi !
Im Also A Filmmaker like you. I Always try to come up with unique and original thrilling stories/scripts.
I Might Give You Some Ideas In Your Film. (also i love the idea for your film)
If You Want To Take This Short Film Seriously, and maybe even be nominated for film festivals.
You might want to incroporate some of these techniques.
For Your Film To Keep The Audience thrilled, and mysterious to the boy (the main character),You Might Want To Keep A some secrets of his backstory (We Know That His Mother Died) But We Wont Tell How He Felt That Day Until Later In The Film When He Totally self-destructs, loses his friends and than one day, totally wrecks everything in the house, than just sit down maybe even cry to add tension, and things of a flashback to how the older days were better, than how he felt the day he discovered his mother died....
This Film Can Be Very Unique If you make it slowly, dont rush it.
Bye :) Hopefully this gave you some ideas.

Reactions: weavemat

weavemat

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
Hi !
Im Also A Filmmaker like you. I Always try to come up with unique and original thrilling stories/scripts.
I Might Give You Some Ideas In Your Film. (also i love the idea for your film)
If You Want To Take This Short Film Seriously, and maybe even be nominated for film festivals.
You might want to incroporate some of these techniques.
For Your Film To Keep The Audience thrilled, and mysterious to the boy (the main character),You Might Want To Keep A some secrets of his backstory (We Know That His Mother Died) But We Wont Tell How He Felt That Day Until Later In The Film When He Totally self-destructs, loses his friends and than one day, totally wrecks everything in the house, than just sit down maybe even cry to add tension, and things of a flashback to how the older days were better, than how he felt the day he discovered his mother died....
This Film Can Be Very Unique If you make it slowly, dont rush it.
Bye :) Hopefully this gave you some ideas.
Thank you for the advice. I was planning on doing something along the lines of this, adding the tension throughout the film until the end. I'm just not sure where to go with it all as far as script writing goes.

soflowjohn

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Springfield, MA

OK, here it goes...

Shots of a quiet town. Everyone is going about their boring, mudane daily schedules.

Shot of a man dressed in all black sneaking around an alley. He approaches a lever and pulls it down.

The entire town goes black and white. People are shocked, confused, and panicked. The town floods out of their homes, offices, etc. and fonto the streets in search of the cause of the B&W color change.

One man finally wanders down the alley and finds the lever. He turns it back on and everything goes back to normal. Everyone celebrates. The man raises his arms in triumph and walks away.

The "man in black" sneaks out into the alley again, turns the lever off, rips it off the wall, and takes it with him. The scene changes to black and white. Celebrating people look confused, look to the sky, fade out.

Hmmm... maybe it's a little cheesy, but with a sick music track in the background (starts out slow and minor, gets more and more intense, when the color comes back on it reaches a climax and modulates into a major key, and suddenly goes back to the mood in the beggining when the color is turned back off) it might turn out pretty cool. If you find or write a good song to fit the film, I don't think you'd need any other audio. I'm all about short films with hidden underlying messages, and I think this one would fit the bill.

Hope this helps!

Sourabh1997

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017

[doublepost=1507372058][/doublepost]It is a very fantastic idea. It can be a good short film. I would like to take this story for my short if you don't mind.
Thank you.

kyle_sloper

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2017
Wiltshire
I love your storyline so much I would like to use it on a project I'm working on. Will that be okay with your creative self?
[doublepost=1514543470][/doublepost]
OK, this might sound stupid, but done right it would be amazing.

Have a family. The mother exemplifies every 'yo mama' joke you've ever heard.
The sister exemplifies every 'blonde' joke you've ever heard. Etc with the dad. The movie is shot from the perspective of the son/brother, who has to encounter/put up with the public telling him these jokes (but they are actually true) 'Yo mama so fat she goes to a resturant, looks at the menu and says "okay!"' and that actually happens. So not only is he hearing these jokes (pick the funniest you can find) he is also actually living with these characters.

The dad can be 'yo daddy so dumb' or whatever you can find that would fit.

It doesn't have to be done in a mean way either, maybe have a moral in there that the son still loves them just as they are, I don't know, but it seriously would be pretty amazing.

You heard it here first
I get royalties. And a trip to the sundance film festival...:cool:[I love your storyline so much I would like to base a short film on it. If that is alright with your creative self]

leovaldezislife

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018

OK, here it goes...

Hope this helps!

Evanwilliams

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2018
Hey Guys, I have to do a short film and I can't think of anything in terms of the story. Can you please help me? Maybe throw some ideas out in to the atmoshpere. :D It can be about anything. Thanks!
[doublepost=1517676015][/doublepost]Have you found a satisfying idea yet?
[doublepost=1517676211][/doublepost]
Hey I am actually looking to do something serious this time.;)
[doublepost=1517676276][/doublepost]
Hey I am actually looking to do something serious this time.;)

shinorex

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2018
[doublepost=1460228815][/doublepost]Well, the short film takes off from a place where two cars are in accident, a man 'x' trying to get out of the car and asking for help. He is dizzy and his mind is blank and can't remember what has happened. Moving to next shot, he 'x' is in court (court kind of setup as for short film) and judge asking whether he is guilty or not. Meanwhile, he 'x' tries to reconstruct the accident. Also, there a man 'y' standing in front of 'x' who is the sole witness of the accident. A man 'z' friend of 'x' comes running into the court with some papers in hand gasping for air and tells the judge to stop the judgement for a moment as he wants to show some important information.

The story then takes off on what is the information about? will the man 'x' be pleaded guilty or what happens to the witness 'y'

This is a action,thriller story for 30 min length short film. I have got few more stories if interested let me know.

HI I need a thread for 10 to 15 mins shortfilm, low budget, can you help

The Birdman

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
Not sure I wanna say my idea someone may use it. But it's related to the last pie of pizza ever
Good idea! Ik work something out around this, last piece in house and struggle & fighting family to get it...with big surprise act the end.

shravanjay

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2018

OK, here it goes...

Hope this helps!
[doublepost=1524198180][/doublepost]The concept is bit unique.. can you elaborate a little r have any hidden ideas like tis.. And I like to use tis one please

exterminating angel

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2018

Here's one. Actually it is a personal experience. It is called "sea is closed due to Mourning".
When Ayatolah Khomaini, Iran's late so called spiritual leader died. The government declared one week of national mourning. Foe me this was a cause for celebration. So me and a bunch my friends headed for north of Iran to enjoy a well deserved holiday and swim in pristine beaches of northern. Iran. We arrived with the whole lot of illegal booze and drugs including weed and opium. when we arrived at the beach. There was nobody there. It looked like a post apocalyptic world. there was a sign which read sea is closed due to national mourning. But who cares. We ran to the sea. All of sudden two plain cloth moral police popped up out of no where and told us that we cannot swim. they were polite but their facess were emotionless, stone cold. strangely enough they were polite. They left without saying any other word. later on we found out that mountain climbing was also prohibited due to mourning ceremonies.
I have a script in Farsi, however my English is not that good to translate it to English. So there you go.

Amy Rix

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2019

Hi, I know you posted this years ago but I was wondering if I could use this idea for a short film I'm writing at university? It might not actually be made, I just need to write a script. Thanks

Monil_fmp

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2019
show a man sitting in a coffee shop

hes reading the paper and everything seems nice

the waitress comes and gives him a coffee which he gingerly sips on

flash back

its the kitchen... the person who is making the coffee cuts her finger off (i'll let u figure out how)

blood squirts everywhere as you cut slow motion to the severed finger falling into the coffee cup with a bunch of blood

you zoom into the cup and zoom out showing the cup just hitting the mans lips

you cut wide and in the background a girl is being rushed to the ER and the medic is screaming "wears the finger!"

people look around in frantic but the main guy doesn't seem to notice (he hasn't taken a sip yet cause something in the paper caught his attention..)

you then pan down to his pocket where an iPod is attached with the cord running up his shirt

the man takes a sip of his coffee and continues reading the paper

the camera pans out as an ambulance sits out side waiting and the lady is rushed out with the head medical man saying "we are not leaving without that finger!" and some jack johnson or something calm plays in the background

fade out....

chya...

Yo Phat pat

Was wondering if I could use this idea for a short film, and it would be really helpful if you could send me your contact details to my email (monilbhatt6@gmail.com) so i can credit you.

Awesome idea,
Monil

Prooit

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2019
Two hot chicks in an office with broken air-con while they're waiting for the repair guy to show up they strip off their clothes to keep cool in front of a big office fan. The office fan accidentaly blows their clothes out of the window, at this point the pizza delivery dude shows up but of course their cash was in their pockets so how do the naked girls pay the dude for the pizza?

OK I'm out of ideas could someone else finish this story for me.:D
[doublepost=1561165358][/doublepost]This is the best thing ever

mwangiboli

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
i write scrips , i can sell you one, ill send you a small act before you commit to paying me $1! in all seriousness, if you want any help with scripting, or what not , send me a message!

i also make short films,
how can I contact you for short films?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I produced (script, OST) 2 TV serials and now on verge of releasing a first full scale movie. I will produce then some more. I am not a Hollywood scale, but already have something to show, so if there is something I could advise you (for free), feel free to ask. This thread is very interesting, reminds me of all things I had to learn. IMHO, a short movie is actually hardest to make, so don't be fixed on that idea.

lassegk

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2020
Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I have written a couple of stories, one of which is published and was under contract to become a movie. that fell through so trying again. the other is a short story. I am looking for a film crew in need of a project or even film students that think they can make this happen. if interested, please contact me for further discussion and story info.
You still looking? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.