Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
For Smart Home triggers via Siri, I use the Yonomi App. Together with a Logitech Harmony Hub, I can say one word, & it’ll activate a Harmony Activity.

It’s a Siri Shortcut which doesn’t need to be created within the Shortcut App, as Yonomi can create it.

gle_

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2019
South Carolina
I have one to share and a question:
I hike frequently, so I have a pair of Shortcuts for:

Start Hike Mode:
  1. Enter Airplane Mode
  2. Enter Low Power Mode
  3. Open Hiking App
Stop Hike Mode:
  1. Exit Airplane Mode
  2. Exit Low Power Mode
  3. Open Google Maps (for drive home)

I would like to add disabling 'Tap to Wake' and 'Raise to Wake', since these lead to lots of false inputs when my pockets are wet. I can't find a way to do this via Shortcuts. Any suggestions?

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Here's a question.. I use Tripit for trip planning. It offers several Siri Shortcuts. One that I use is "travel plans". Works fine, brings up my trip agenda. Question is: Would it be possible to add this as a shortcut under widgets? At times, I want a quick agenda view, but don't want to invoke Siri

Last edited:

tonyc46

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
I need to disable all calls for a given interval then allow them. Using Custom DND shortcut does not work since I have a few people on my exempt list who can get through DND and I don't want to mess with that. Using Set Airplane Mode shortcut does not work since I need to have wifi and, possibly, bluetooth available. It would be nice to have a shortcut to disable phone for a specified interval.
Any ideas? Thanks.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I need to disable all calls for a given interval then allow them. Using Custom DND shortcut does not work since I have a few people on my exempt list who can get through DND and I don't want to mess with that. Using Set Airplane Mode shortcut does not work since I need to have wifi and, possibly, bluetooth available. It would be nice to have a shortcut to disable phone for a specified interval.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Toggling the phone is not one of the the system actions Shortcuts can take, most likely for security reasons. The closest you can get is to use it to set Airplane mode (as you noted).

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Using Set Airplane Mode shortcut does not work since I need to have wifi and, possibly, bluetooth available. It would be nice to have a shortcut to disable phone for a specified interval.
Any ideas? Thanks.

You can have your Shortcut turn on Airplane Mode, then reenable wifi and Bluetooth.

As to a specific amount of time, don't think so, as once you move to some other app, or screen locks, Shortcuts will go to sleep. There is a "sleep for x seconds" method, can maybe play around with that.

ADD: just did a test. Was able to put into airplane mode, sleep for 45 seconds, and turn off airplane mode, while using Safari. So, at least while device is being used, seems Shortcuts is still running in the background.

Last edited:

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
Anyone know how to remove the http:// text that the URL type automatically includes on Ask for Input?

I want to capture just the domain example.com and set as a variable using the URL type (because of the Keyboard type) but the final result is http://example.com

It works fine on Text type.
[doublepost=1556312651][/doublepost]
Anyone know how to remove the http:// text that the URL type automatically includes on Ask for Input?

I want to capture just the domain example.com and set as a variable using the URL type (because of the Keyboard type) but the final result is http://example.com

It works fine on Text type.

I think I got it. Using the Split Text and Custom http:// now the Set Variable is just the domain name without http://.

fullsizeoutput_a780.jpeg

Reactions: teamNOOB

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'm at a loss. How can I change a file's extension? I have a saved file "testfile.txt" in Files/Dropbox that I want to save as "testfile.somethingelse"

I've tried the "Save File" action with "/Shortcuts/myfilename.extension", but Shortcuts changes it.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Probably a limited audience, but here's a shortcut I've been working on. I have a triathlon training program TrainingPeaks that will export workouts to Garmin GPS watches, but not AppleWatch. I need to be able to track the different intervals using the Intervals Pro app on the watch.

I can export the workouts as JSON, which the shortcut parses and then adds the relevant info to the JSON needed for the Intervals App. The shortcut outputs a file with the correct extension (thanks, @Jessica Lares) and opens up in the Intervals App.

It should work for any run, bike or swim workouts. It's set up for swim distance, run pace and bike HR metrics, but that could probably be changed pretty easily.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/09d05fed0037440388c3a530d97f44f4

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Does anyone know if there is a shortcut to turn on my truck through uconnect app? Also, are there any appliances that can work with a shortcut or HomeKit?

Oz4225

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2018
Hello guy
I need your help.
I need shourcut that i can enable /disable " Wifi Calling" option (show in Phone setting)

Thanks very much

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Any ideas? Thanks.
Wouldn't the simplest option be to flip the silence switch?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Any ideas? Thanks.
If you had wifi and bluetooth enabled the last time you used Airplane mode, they'll remain enabled the next time you use it.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Is there an app where you can setup shortcuts with custom questions and answers? Like let’s say you don’t want to forget where you hid a gift, you can setup a shortcut so when you ask “where did I hide the gift?”, it will respond with a custom answer.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Is there an app where you can setup shortcuts with custom questions and answers? Like let’s say you don’t want to forget where you hid a gift, you can setup a shortcut so when you ask “where did I hide the gift?”, it will respond with a custom answer.

I’ve never heard of anything like that, but I think it would be fairly easy to create yourself.

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Hi I need help....

iPhone XS Max on iOS 13 with new Siri app iPad Pro 12.9 ipados13 watch series 4 watch os 6 HomePod iOS 12.3

so I have shortcuts setup for hive uk to turn my lights and heating on and off these work flawlessly on the Iphone and iPad. They are not working on my watch or HomePod, it keeps saying there’s a problem with the app please try again.

I’m certain it’s not related to the app as if setup other shortcuts with phone and messaging app and agin both HomePod and watch refuse to carry these out.

iv reset everything deleted and remade the shortcuts to no avail.
Is this a known issue with the new shortcuts app?

Frank M

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2019
New Jersey
I thought it would be cool to get ideas from other users on how to leverage the power of shortcuts. Sometimes I have trouble thinking creatively and would love to hear ideas from others.

I’ll start with one I’m creating:

“Hey Siri - We’re all leaving now” (used when all the family is heading out for the day/night/weekend)
- turns off all living room and upstairs lights
- turns on couch lights (so it looks like someone is home)
- set all thermostats to “away mode”

I embellished the “Calculate a Tip” shortcut from the ShortCuts Gallery.
Test it out and see what you think.

New to ShortCuts and I was trying to understand how to develop a shortcut using various actions.

Frank M

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/66264a4bcc6041d8a820260f283e7844

Reactions: Fireproof!

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Would love to see shortcut to turn on and turn off location services. I hate going the long way, settings, privacy then turn on and off :(

Reactions: iEs

Random hero

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hi all,

I’m new to the shortcuts app and if I’m honest it’s all very technical for me (facepalm)
i had an idea for something that would help me but I’ve no idea of it is even possible,

I have got a phone case which attaches to my bike however the way the case is made mean it covers the sensors and the front facing camera on my iPhone X.
I wondered if there was a way of setting up a shortcut which would automatically turn off the ambient dimming (as my screen goes very dark because the sensor is covered) and also if it could turn off locking the screen (as Face ID wont work)
Even better if this can be instigated by me starting my cycling workout on my watch.
If anyone can assist or point me in the right direction then I’d be very greatful
Thanks

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hi all,

I’m new to the shortcuts app and if I’m honest it’s all very technical for me (facepalm)
i had an idea for something that would help me but I’ve no idea of it is even possible,

I have got a phone case which attaches to my bike however the way the case is made mean it covers the sensors and the front facing camera on my iPhone X.
I wondered if there was a way of setting up a shortcut which would automatically turn off the ambient dimming (as my screen goes very dark because the sensor is covered) and also if it could turn off locking the screen (as Face ID wont work)
Even better if this can be instigated by me starting my cycling workout on my watch.
If anyone can assist or point me in the right direction then I’d be very greatful
Thanks

Actually, much, but not all, of this may be possible. You can create a shortcut called, say, “Cycling”, use an action to set screen brightness to 100% (or whatever you want) and whatever you want to happen when you start your cycling workout. Then, go to the Automations tab on Shortcuts and create an automation to run that Cycling shortcut wherever you start a Cycling workout (which is one of the supported events in the Events section of Automations).

The one thing you may not be able to do is prevent your screen from locking. I don’t believe there’s any shortcut or action that will allow you to block that from occurring

Reactions: Random hero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.