Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Random hero

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Actually, much, but not all, of this may be possible. You can create a shortcut called, say, “Cycling”, use an action to set screen brightness to 100% (or whatever you want) and whatever you want to happen when you start your cycling workout. Then, go to the Automations tab on Shortcuts and create an automation to run that Cycling shortcut wherever you start a Cycling workout (which is one of the supported events in the Events section of Automations).

The one thing you may not be able to do is prevent your screen from locking. I don’t believe there’s any shortcut or action that will allow you to block that from occurring

thanks ?

dontknowjack

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
I was just thinking about creating this thread. Great job.

You can actually post your Shortcuts here using the icloud links. Doing that is probably more useful than just what you're doing.

don't have any shortcuts for you, but looking to find one that counts steps down. I want to get the health app data and have that info be subtracted from my goal.

lvar

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
NL
I start work at a different time just about every day. Sometimes later in the day, sometimes (very) early.
I usually set my alarm 1.5 hours on my iPhone before I have to start work. Enough time time to get a shower, grab a quick bite and commute.
to make sure I don’t snooze/stop my iPhone alarm I set the alarm on my iPad 5 minutes after the alarm on my iPhone.
Shortcuts allow me to do all that with the same/single shortcut :)
it gets my next shift from Calendar and sets the alarms accordingly.

8D1AF493-9736-4284-B694-49335BD41532.jpeg

41CE8F30-E3EA-4AB2-831A-AB29FA8D330C.jpeg

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
I start work at a different time just about every day. Sometimes later in the day, sometimes (very) early.
I usually set my alarm 1.5 hours on my iPhone before I have to start work. Enough time time to get a shower, grab a quick bite and commute.
to make sure I don’t snooze/stop my iPhone alarm I set the alarm on my iPad 5 minutes after the alarm on my iPhone.
Shortcuts allow me to do all that with the same/single shortcut :)
it gets my next shift from Calendar and sets the alarms accordingly.

View attachment 869008

View attachment 869007
That's brilliant. I should set something like this up. I'm a snooze button addict!

Twistr

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2019
My wife sees several clients daily. Each day on the day before, she likes to send text messages to each client to confirm their appointment. I would like to setup a shortcut that asks her for 1) Input (first name of your client) and 2) input (time of their appointment). Then take those two variables and place them into a pre-written text: Hi "Name that was input", just texting to confirm your appointment tomorrow at "text that was input on second input question".

Is this possible? I can't seem to get it to read two separate input variables. It always puts the same input in both ASK FOR INPUT's.

Twistr

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2019
My wife sees several clients daily. Each day on the day before, she likes to send text messages to each client to confirm their appointment. I would like to setup a shortcut that asks her for 1) Input (first name of your client) and 2) input (time of their appointment). Then take those two variables and place them into a pre-written text: Hi "Name that was input", just texting to confirm your appointment tomorrow at "text that was input on second input question".

Is this possible? I can't seem to get it to read two separate input variables. It always puts the same input in both ASK FOR INPUT's.
Well I just figured it out, I used magic variable. Works like a charm! It's been a while since I've done any kind of 'scripting'. Used to run a private BBS before the internet came about. Time to dust off the cobwebs!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Hello guy
I need your help.
I need shourcut that i can enable /disable " Wifi Calling" option (show in Phone setting)

Thanks very much

While you can’t toggle the setting directly from a shortcut, this will take you right to the phone settings page.

Actually, much, but not all, of this may be possible. You can create a shortcut called, say, “Cycling”, use an action to set screen brightness to 100% (or whatever you want) and whatever you want to happen when you start your cycling workout. Then, go to the Automations tab on Shortcuts and create an automation to run that Cycling shortcut wherever you start a Cycling workout (which is one of the supported events in the Events section of Automations).

The one thing you may not be able to do is prevent your screen from locking. I don’t believe there’s any shortcut or action that will allow you to block that from occurring

If you have a bluetooth speed sensor connected to your phone or something similar, you might even be able to set up the automation to run when the phone connects.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Well I just figured it out, I used magic variable. Works like a charm! It's been a while since I've done any kind of 'scripting'. Used to run a private BBS before the internet came about. Time to dust off the cobwebs!

Magic variables are the secret sauce of Shortcuts. They allow you to reuse the same data in different forms in different places, just as you’ve done. Glad this worked for you.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I wonder if I could get some guidance from you shortcuts gurus. I am using Show Alert at the beginning of my shortcut to confirm that the shortcut action should take place. I have the cancel button enabled. When I trigger this shortcut via the app or widget, both OK and Cancel work correctly. But if I activate the shortcut via Siri, when she ask OK or Cancel and I respond cancel, Siri gets hung up, saying just a moment, and eventually responds with a message about having trouble with the connection. Is this a bug? Should be I doing something differently?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I wonder if I could get some guidance from you shortcuts gurus. I am using Show Alert at the beginning of my shortcut to confirm that the shortcut action should take place. I have the cancel button enabled. When I trigger this shortcut via the app or widget, both OK and Cancel work correctly. But if I activate the shortcut via Siri, when she ask OK or Cancel and I respond cancel, Siri gets hung up, saying just a moment, and eventually responds with a message about having trouble with the connection. Is this a bug? Should be I doing something differently?

This sounds like a bug. Shortcuts is, sadly, still not quite at production grade. I have a shortcut that fetches weather radar images. It does just fine when running it from the Shortcuts app, but does nothing if I run it from the widget or from Siri. They’ll get this stuff fixed at some point but it’s still rough at times.

Reactions: Paco II

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks. I do think you're correct. As I've discovered, Siri needs some action to take. Anything. So I switched from Show Alert to Ask. If my response is anything other than Yes, Siri tells me the time. Show Alert approach is widget 'friendly,' this one is Siri 'friendly.'

This sounds like a bug. Shortcuts is, sadly, still not quite at production grade. I have a shortcut that fetches weather radar images. It does just fine when running it from the Shortcuts app, but does nothing if I run it from the widget or from Siri. They’ll get this stuff fixed at some point but it’s still rough at times.

Reactions: gwhizkids

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Anyone knows how to make "Start Guided Access" function to work? I keep getting unkown error.

tnuis

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
I'm so baffeled that Apple does not allow such a simple function of sorting your files on the iphone on size. I find NO apps that can do this and NO info ehwn googling the issue. So, my question is, does anyone know how to make a shortcut in ios Shortcuts that would scan the "Pictures" library (inclusive videos) and show, let's say, the 10 largest files and also their actual size? I mean come on, this is such a basic function one could even do in DOS in the 90's....... We are now in iOS 13 in 2020! It is obvious that they do this on purpose so you are almost forced to buy more storage instead. Anyway of finding largest files on iphone so they can be reviewed and deleted would be most welcome. Manually browsing through 40 000 files with no other info than the length of the video is Mission Impossible.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I got high hopes for Shortcuts and automations in iOS14... Some super simple things don't work now or aren't included. Got me a cheap Aqara motion sensor. Made it that one of the lights goes on when someone moves past it and it's dark. Then I thought: would be cool if the automation doesn't run when something is playing on the Apple TV. Can't use the Apple TV's status, even though you can see the status in the Home app. Ridiculous.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
The “Make GIF” action isn’t working for me in iOS 14 Beta 1. It returns a 1-frame GIF. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

Great thread! ? 2018 Started and 17 pages so far.... ?
I did a SEARCH for my question - no answer, so I hope its ok to pop here ?

How do I create a shortcut to clear my safari history?!?!

Reason why I’m getting so many pages I need to clear down:

1. I bought iphone se 2020 - Too big to use 1 handed with safari

2. I want the latest weather report for my area, do loads of cycling - I use to hit refresh on same page each time, all one handed. However, I can’t reach REFRESH on safari though one handed on the new SE - the button is at the top of the screen.

3. I created a shortcut to open a new safari page, with effectively the latest weather report.

4. However, by end of week/days I have loads of the same page in safari to clear down.

5. I’ve had a few goes creating a shortcut to clear he safari history - no luck.

It’s a pain to manually delete the tabs, or having to go into settings > safari > clear history etc. > must be a way to automate it!

Hope you can advise

Thanks
Martin ?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Safari has an option to automatically close tabs after a period of time.

Settings / Safari / Close Tabs / After One Day

You could also try using "Show Web Page" instead of "Open URL" in your shortcut. I think one of them doesn't create a new Safari tab.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Safari has an option to automatically close tabs after a period of time.

Settings / Safari / Close Tabs / After One Day

You could also try using "Show Web Page" instead of "Open URL" in your shortcut. I think one of them doesn't create a new Safari tab.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks, you are a star! ✌?

I’ve just taken a look, its working under the “Show web page” - no new duplicate tab

Also - RE:Close down after a week - Great idea with using native safari settings, doh! I should have checked there 1st when I hit issues with my 1st attempt at shortcuts ?

I’ll tidy up my shortcuts properly later when I get a chance ?

Reactions: adrianlondon

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Does anyone have a definitive list of shortcuts that work with the Magic Keyboard?
(Or a web page with a good tabulated list etc.)

I’ve looked at apple help pages, and the ones refering to the MK are pretty basic and do not cover basic shortcuts one would use every day.

The mac shortcut help page is in-depth, and I hope correct for mac users!
I’ve been using this Web page and playing around to get the version of keys that would work for the MK!

Mac Shortcuts:

Hope you can help.

Regards
Martin
[automerge]1595162263[/automerge]
Magic Keyboard shortcut on Safari:

I’ve just found a new useful one:

What trying to do:
1. Duplicate a website tab, so you can keep original, while going off on a tangent with the copy,
2. So you don‘t loose your place and train of thought on the original tab etc.

How do it:
1. Press And hold on tab name
2. Choose “COPY’
3. Open new tab “+”
4. THEN - 2 finger tap on the address bar. The option comes up to paste! (Took me a while to figure this.)

Is there an easier way to do this?!?!?

Dead easy on Windows - right click > Duplicate tab > done!

Cheers
Martin

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Does anyone know if it’s possible to have multiple When conditions in a personal automation? It doesn’t look like it, but just checking I haven’t missed some quirky UI.

For what it’s worth, I have an automation so that WHEN I connect to my home WiFi, turn on airplane mode (so that I use WiFi calling; I have poor, battery draining signal at home.)

As it turns out, the automation doesn’t run without manual confirmation, but it acts as a good reminder. The problem is that I get the notification multiple times through the day when home, when switching between access points etc. Basically I wanted to add a condition so it would only run when not already in airplane mode. I tried adding this condition to the DO section but of course that doesn’t stop the automation event itself and therefore doesn’t stop the notification.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
We're trying to work out if the following is possible (I think not). If (nobody is home OR it is between 22:00 and 04:30) AND motion is detected on a motion sensor (part of an indoor camera) then send a iMessage to contacts & flash a light (that part is done).

From what I can see there isn't a way to see if folks have left home and to 'OR' that state with a time period. Or for that matter to send an iMessage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.