Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharkchu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2019
Hi all! Long Long time lurker, but first time posting, so please go easy.

I noticed pretty much this entire sub-forum is about Apple watch bands, curious what CASES you guys are rocking on your Apple Watch? (ps. if there's another thread that's disappeared into the abyss, my apologies)

Let's start this off:

Here's mine! Purchased full price at about 60USD at the beginning of the year (it's a lot cheaper now), and it still looks the same as day 1!

CarbonThat Carbon Fiber case for Apple Watch Series 4 (yes I also have their Kevlar Edition case for my iPhone 8 plus):
carbonthatip8watch4.jpg

Keen to see what everyone has! (roaming the watch band thread to fit the carbon case, up for any suggestions)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I think you’ll find that the majority of people out there at least those who frequent these forums don’t use cases and prefer to use their watches “naked”. I don’t use a case and feel it’s it’s something I don’t want to do with my watch. That’s probably why you’ve not had any responses to this thread.

Reactions: bbednarz

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I think you’ll find that the majority of people out there at least those who frequent these forums don’t use cases and prefer to use their watches “naked”. I don’t use a case and feel it’s it’s something I don’t want to do with my watch. That’s probably why you’ve not had any responses to this thread.
Very much this. My iPhones have always worn Apple silicone or leather cases, because I drop them occasionally - and thus equipped, I've never broken one. I wore my Series 0 Apple Watch every day for 4+ years, from the original release until my S5 arrived, and the screen is pristine, and the case looks quite good unless you get out a magnifying glass. I think there's a reason that Apple sells cases for the iPhones but not for the Watch - the watches really don't need a case, unless your job involves regularly slamming your wrist into hard surfaces. I've seen a lot of people wearing Apple Watches out and about, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone using a case on it. I only see the cases here, or on /r/AppleWatch.

Reactions: Mr.C

Sharkchu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2019
Lol... it isn’t plastic. It’s completely rigid, it’s not a soft silicone. Made of real carbon fiber, it’s lighter than the first generic plastic case I got.

I’ve had rugged cases before, but made it difficult to use the buttons.

I got the case first for my phone, and loved it. Then got the Apple Watch case after.

it’s slim enough to give Full access to the buttons, without taking away from the overall design of the watch.

Reactions: tkukoc

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Ringke bumper with stainless steel band off amazon that’s closet to apples official band which I refuse to pay top dollar for. I really like wearing larger watches and don’t want to pay crazy money for a different Apple Watch to get the weight up. So just some small add ons to the sport model does me just fine. This is my daily watch, series 5. Have a series 3 left for application testing, just got rid of my 4.

Last edited:

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
View attachment 877906
Ringke bumper with stainless steel band off amazon that’s closet to apples official band which I refuse to pay top dollar for. I really like wearing larger watches and don’t want to pay crazy money for a different Apple Watch to get the weight up. So just some small add ons to the sport model does me just fine. This is my daily watch, series 5. Have a series 3 left for application testing, just got rid of my 4.

Sorry but that looks horrendous.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
It's actually a fairly popular design that can be paired with a lot of others bands. I personally love the extra weight it gives. I've gotten quite a lot of compliments, people can't believe it's an apple watch when they see it. This goes with everything, formal & casual. Wouldn't wear it playing basketball or any sports though. Not sure why all the hate on here when it comes to people who use cases. Most look really nice!

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Not sure why all the hate on here when it comes to people who use cases. Most look really nice!
Not hate, and not directed as you say at "people who use cases", rather at the cases themselves. Many of us just have very different opinions of what "look really nice" means. Beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: Mr.C

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It's actually a fairly popular design that can be paired with a lot of others bands. I personally love the extra weight it gives. I've gotten quite a lot of compliments, people can't believe it's an apple watch when they see it. This goes with everything, formal & casual. Wouldn't wear it playing basketball or any sports though. Not sure why all the hate on here when it comes to people who use cases. Most look really nice!

It’s not hate or criticism. We all have different personal preferences. Personally I don’t like these watch cases and don’t think they look nice. In fact they look awful. I would never use them. That said I can appreciate others like them and that’s fine. It’s their preference.

Reactions: CarlJ

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
It’s not hate or criticism. We all have different personal preferences. Personally I don’t like these watch cases and don’t think they look nice. In fact they look awful. I would never use them. That said I can appreciate others like them and that’s fine. It’s their preference.
Not when you get posts constantly thrown at you on this site from the same group of people. It's not personal preference as it is attacks. Same accounts going on screen protector section hating on others who post about what they use. Somehow it's ok for them to hate on people when the topic at hand is simply about what people use. If you don't use something why on earth on you trashing others who do? It really makes no sense at all.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Not when you get posts constantly thrown at you on this site from the same group of people. It's not personal preference as it is attacks.
Personal attacks? People saying you're somehow a bad person for using a case or screen protector, or questioning your parentage? Or people saying, "watch cases are stupid"? If it's the former, you should report the posts to the mods for proper action. If the latter, that's personal opinion.

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
05F05103-DB66-452B-B1A5-483379F20DC7.jpeg
79731BA2-6BD6-4E89-8C75-B184B60CE495.jpeg
I
personally like the versatility. Here is my SS5S with a glossy black snap on frame.

It makes it a little larger presentation but with the Urovois black leather loop it’s very nice.
013568AA-D1B9-469C-9247-70CB2343554F.jpeg

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
As horrible as they look, I use one myself on my S5 because I’d destroy it in a day without one :/
9d452728eedaf4511d4e71a3da00f926.jpg

At least the clear ones don’t look AS bad

but are u losing touchscreen sensitivity? i had that problem previously, which is why i switched to screen skins only..

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
The touch is ok. I have to press a little harder sometimes. Like I said, I don’t like it at all but with the big black side covers, you can’t see the sides at all which is even uglier. I like them so much better without it but i know I’d regret it soon after Taking it off!
4cf4bed126f0822ab50f99e6e1b33354.jpg

One thing I do like is that it wraps around the bottom to keep it from getting gross underneath

Reactions: jaytee86

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Admittedly doesn't look bad. If you work in a machine shop or something I can see....maybe. But the surest way to begin damage to your watch's case is to put a "protective" case on it. Debris will be trapped immediately, and since most folks won't clean it out frequently, you'll actually get scratches you wouldn't get otherwise.

Reactions: nycgeo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.