Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

Anyone else been having problems with Safari? For me, it would frequently reload a page, with the message: "A problem occurred with this web page so it was reloaded".

It gets kind of annoying when you're in the middle of browsing. At first, I thought it was down to the meagre 1GB RAM on the iPhone, but it seems that this might be something to do with iOS 8 itself.

Been having this problem since iOS 8.0 and now running 8.1. Apple have still not fixed this issue!

This, combined with Safari tabs frequently reloading when going back to a tab makes Safari on iOS 8 the worst browsing experience I have ever had on the iPhone.

Anyone else getting the same experience or is it just me?

image.jpg

Running iOS 8.1 on iPhone 6 Plus

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Welcome to desperate iPad Air owners club. Facing reloads from iOS 7 and talking about iOS 8.1 one more annoying issue appeared- Safari freeze...

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
It's a RAM error.

The 6 Plus has to constantly scale a 3x resolution to about 2.45x down.

1GB is just not enough.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
It's a RAM error.

1GB is just not enough.

Hmm, that's a possibility. Never thought about that. Since posting, I've had this incident occur again twice already.

I'm starting to despise using Safari the more I use it.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
It's a RAM error.

1GB is just not enough.

Nope.
I'm having this issue on certain sites constantly on my iPad Air 2. So apparently an extra core and gig of RAM doesn't help the issue. Never had this issue before iOS 8, and certainly didnt have constant browser crashes (which some claim this is replacing).

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
If it was a RAM issue, how is that chrome is still able to keep the websites when I switch between tabs. I usually work with 2-3 tabs only on my phone..but, somehow chrome seems to be more faster than safari.

dunno why and how, i think every browser is required to use the same webkit or similar tools (not sure whats it called) as safari.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
If it was a RAM issue, how is that chrome is still able to keep the websites when I switch between tabs. I usually work with 2-3 tabs only on my phone..but, somehow chrome seems to be more faster than safari.

dunno why and how, i think every browser is required to use the same webkit or similar tools (not sure whats it called) as safari.

It will keep all the websites loaded, but Chrome will purge all previously loaded apps from memory. Whatever programs you opened will reload when you open them..

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Hi guys,

Anyone else been having problems with Safari? For me, it would frequently reload a page, with the message: "A problem occurred with this web page so it was reloaded".

It gets kind of annoying when you're in the middle of browsing. At first, I thought it was down to the meagre 1GB RAM on the iPhone, but it seems that this might be something to do with iOS 8 itself.

Been having this problem since iOS 8.0 and now running 8.1. Apple have still not fixed this issue!

This, combined with Safari tabs frequently reloading when going back to a tab makes Safari on iOS 8 the worst browsing experience I have ever had on the iPhone.

image.jpg

Never had that problem on iOS 8 or 8.1... saw it a few times on Youtube for both desktop and mobile safari but those were resolved.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
This issue also happens on macs

So it's piss poor programming and not hardware related? Maybe apple needs to hire some programmers from Mozilla to get the job done. I don't think I've paid a cent to Mozilla but them and the folks at google can sure can make a fast browser. At this point id even settle with a internet explorer offering on ios if it worked.

Last edited:

rhino89

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Hi guys,

image.jpg

Are you saying this problem persists on an iPad air 2?? Or did you mean you also continue to see it on an iPhone 6 plus?

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
This happens on OSX as well. Its not a memory issue, it has to do with something being screwed up in Safari. It happens on certain sites with my iMac with 16GB of RAM as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This happens on OSX as well. Its not a memory issue, it has to do with something being screwed up in Safari. It happens on certain sites with my iMac with 16GB of RAM as well.

Never had this issue in any version of OS X and Safari is the only browser I use. I can't speak for betas because I never used them.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
For me as well. Any of the mobile nation websites like Imore or Windows Phone Central don't play well with Safari at all. That all websites don't have an issue, is this a Safari problem or bad website software? Another related issue on 8.1 is a blank page until I touch the screen in Safari.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
For me as well. Any of the mobile nation websites like Imore or Windows Phone Central don't play well with Safari at all. That all websites don't have an issue, is this a Safari problem or bad website software? Another related issue on 8.1 is a blank page until I touch the screen in Safari.

Have been pooking around at these suites you mentioned and could not se any web reloads on my MAC with just 8 GB. Maybe a bad install in your case ?

Another related issue on 8.1 is a blank page until I touch the screen in Safari.

Same on my iOS devices.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

Yes that is exactly where I see the issue in OSX. I guess its a website problem as I don't see it anywhere else.

----------

Have been pooking around at these suites you mentioned and could not se any web reloads on my MAC with just 8 GB. Maybe a bad install in your case ?

Same on my iOS devices.

Go to Crackberry.com and click on some of the stories on the main page and you will see it. Click on the one with the interview with John Chen and it will happen.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
iOS 8 has to be the worst release of iOS updates ever. So buggy. Iphone 6 lags at times. And ipad 3 on safari is near enough unusable in comparison to what I am use to with ios7.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Well issue compounded worse when using latest jailbreak. It will attempt to reload several times before finally erroring out. But I think it's a memory leak with Safari. I can surf fine provided I kill any processor intensive task in the background. Why Safari can't free up the memory by itself, who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.