Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chipmac64

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
This happens on my ipad 3 running 8.1

My iPad 3 does this also. I always use mine in landscape mode and after opening a tab and closing it the original tab will be blank. Originally I was reloading the page but then I found that if I turned my iPad 90 degrees and back it reloaded on its own. Its definitely a glitch and one that never occurred on ios7. If the next ios update dosen't fix it I'm switching browsers.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
Safari has gotten really awful in iOS8. First all the reloading, 2nd the removal of airplay icon and ads on webpages really hurt the web browsing.

Tried Opera Coast, but it takes about 5x the amount of time to load a page.

Might try chrome again.

sik08amg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Tampa, FL
What I think is odd is that Safari doesn't actually refresh the page but just reloads it in the state that it was left, so for example the macrumors main page, you have to wait for two loads/refreshes till you can see new info. LAME

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I have the same problem both reload of site and freezing safari.
Have to Constant copy of ex. Writing in here because if you open a new tab to search forget about the post you are writing in other tab.. Good chance its gone.
The copy paste etc. Menu that pops up also often quickly disappears so no chance of pressing anything
Recently i take pictures with my phone if posts are longer because chances are my ipad also will freeze to point of me having to hardreset.
99% of my ipad use is safari and so many things right now is ruining my ipad experiance!
I often cant press any links and have to scroll up and down on page before pressing links is possible.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Suffered after upgrading from 7.1.2 which was fine to iOS 8.02/8.1 with Safari looping "a problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded" error message then finally giving up with "a problem repeatedly occurred" on some sites like The Verge. But I just updated to 8.1.1 beta and it seems to be ok so far.

This kind of stuff seems to happen with every major release that I'm starting to think it's an intentional scheme to cause the impatient to upgrade to the latest and greatest model then they eventually fix it to avoid losing customers and lawsuits.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's not just Safari. Apps (including stock apps) and other browsers reload too. This is a system-wide memory leak, or a lack of RAM.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Suffered after upgrading from 7.1.2 which was fine to iOS 8.02/8.1 with Safari looping "a problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded" error message then finally giving up with "a problem repeatedly occurred" on some sites like The Verge. But I just updated to 8.1.1 beta and it seems to be ok so far.

This kind of stuff seems to happen with every major release that I'm starting to think it's an intentional scheme to cause the impatient to upgrade to the latest and greatest model then they eventually fix it to avoid losing customers and lawsuits.

Its been determined that TheVerge just has bad programming, it seems some Galaxy Note users have issues with the site even having 3 GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 800+. TheVerge isn't the best site to test for mobile users but I've noticed less "a problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded" after iOS 8.1.1 but there are still issues with safari crashing when locking the screen. Never seen this problem before but can get quite annoying when accidentally locking the screen only to find safari crashed.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
My iPad 3 does this also. I always use mine in landscape mode and after opening a tab and closing it the original tab will be blank. Originally I was reloading the page but then I found that if I turned my iPad 90 degrees and back it reloaded on its own. Its definitely a glitch and one that never occurred on ios7. If the next ios update dosen't fix it I'm switching browsers.

THIS^^^

I am sure that pre iOS8, when you opened up a new tab, did what you needed to do and then went back to an existing tab, the webpage was still loaded on that tab? :confused: As you rightly say, now, when you open a new tab and then go back to an existing tab, Safari ALWAYS shows a blank page and then re-loads the existing tab.

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
Hmmmm. Not sure what to say then. I knew it was an issue with iOS 8 but I don't know about anything else. Maybe make an appointment with the Genius Bar at you're closest Apple Store and see what they say.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Hmmmm. Not sure what to say then. I knew it was an issue with iOS 8 but I don't know about anything else. Maybe make an appointment with the Genius Bar at you're closest Apple Store and see what they say.
Yeah I did last week. They did the wireless diagnosis and found no problem. It's strange.

memoryreload8

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
I get this too and this is not the only issue.

Not on my MAC as far as I can tell.
[doublepost=1522394343][/doublepost]i have been getting this message on my MAC for some weeks now and it is driving me crazy. not sure how to get rid of it. emptying the caches made no difference at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.