Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
There are extremely severe security implications with using Snow Leopard, even Mavericks on a modern system. You may not know it or you may turn a blind eye to it, but there are. The way Apple's security model works is that if you aren't on the latest release of the OS, 10.13.0 as of this post, your system is insecure. Even a fully patched 10.12.6 system is missing some critical security updates that 10.13.0 has in it. It's the sad truth of how Apple works now.

when you say "insecure" what do you exactly mean? I have a computer that I still use with Mavericks on. I used it happily because since I quit windows in 2002 I didn't have to worry about bugs, viruses, spyware, or being hacked by .exe files. You are making me worry.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Mavericks or Mac OS X 10.9, hasn't been updated or patched in a few years. There exists many vulnerabilities and exploits for it that are rather powerful and easy to for an attack to use. Things such as the rootpipe or the WPA2 encryption flaw. Those are just some examples, if you would like more examples look at the security release notes Apple has put out since 10.10 was released. You'll see that some of them do not cover 10.9. And since 10.12 was released last year, all of the exploited in the security notes are not patched on 10.9.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I loved Mavericks and was very hesitant to upgrade as I had no problems with it. When my son got his iPhone X a few weeks ago Mavericks didn't allow us to restore his iPhone 6 back up so was forced to upgrade to High Sierra I was a little apprehensive but I have to say after upgrading I can't complain it has worked very well apart from a sleep issue which is well documented and hopefully should be fixed in an update soon. If you are worried don't be it's worth upgrading.

Reactions: Miat

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
Well this cleared nothing for me...looks like ill have to stick to the slower El Capitan

Pretty poor of Apple to only offer security updates for a operating system that was released just 3 years ago! (oct 22/2013)
You should be fine on Mavericks. Mavericks is my daily OS. I notice no slowdowns or anything, the Safari might be getting outdated, however Chrome and FireFox still fully support the OS. On top of that if you're worried about a potential virus, install an anti-virus, many (if not all) support 10.9! Just make sure all of your programs support 10.9 before downgrading! Incase you're wondering, all official Apple Support has ended, so you will no longer recieve official Apply updates. Have a blessed day, cya later!

Reactions: pb69

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
Xprotect updates are still released.
Updates to the core system and apps are not.

I don't like the way, Apple is doing software development. My favorite is 10.9.5
Y tried them all until today. But I don't need all the new things to play with.
For me its sad, that Apple has no core system development and a modular system for additional features.
Every few years, a system is out of race and new apps are not compatible anymore. Example Safari.
And worse, we cannot download older systems or software that run on older systems, if we didn't buy them
at any time before. Example, how to get the outdated Final Cut Pro for Mavericks.
Same on iOS.

(Edit: news apps > new apps)

Last edited:

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Totally agree with Xde! I'm on Mavericks on 2014 MBP 15" and not planning to move anytime soon... would be nice to have newer Safari, but with all or nothing approach I'd stick with Aqua than inconsistent and fugly UI of 10.10 and higher.
Chrome works for whatever Safari doesn't, iCloud can be accessed through browser and my main apps either don't work or are not supported (Aperture, Capture NX 2 and Office 11).

oh yeah, forgot to mention how fugly iTunes 12 looks...still on 11 because iWow plugin won't load anymore after they changed audio routing to accommodate Airpods and other crap I don't have/intend to buy

Steve must be spinning in his grave seeing what Cook has done to the attention to detail and intuitive, superior OS

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I loved Mavericks and was very hesitant to upgrade as I had no problems with it. When my son got his iPhone X a few weeks ago Mavericks didn't allow us to restore his iPhone 6 back up so was forced to upgrade to High Sierra I was a little apprehensive but I have to say after upgrading I can't complain it has worked very well apart from a sleep issue which is well documented and hopefully should be fixed in an update soon. If you are worried don't be it's worth upgrading.
That doesn't exactly make sense since the latest version of iTunes supports Mavericks. Version 12.7.2 as of this post.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
That doesn't exactly make sense since the latest version of iTunes supports Mavericks. Version 12.7.2 as of this post.
I had problems setting up iPhone X with Mavericks spoke to AppleCare and they advised to upgrade to High Sierra, which I did, and I have to say it's been worth it for me also I have all the latest security updates now.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I had problems setting up iPhone X with Mavericks spoke to AppleCare and they advised to upgrade to High Sierra, which I did, and I have to say it's been worth it for me also I have all the latest security updates now.
Well I hope HS works better for you than it does for me. It’s been bumpy for me on my MacBook. Photoshop CS6 doesn’t like it, Roblox is broken(yes I play this with friends in Discord just for the hell of it), and OpenGL does some really funny things when doing small tasks. It’s not broken, but shows graphical artifacts every now and again. I’m planning on just downgrading back to Sierra.

Reactions: ravinder08

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I hear you ThunderMasterMind, I'm all for if it's not broken.. and would have stayed with Mavericks if it weren't for the iPhone X issue. Good luck and hope Sierra is better for you.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
"Update update upgrade//
upgrade don't hesitate//
patches patches patches//
security vulnerability patches//
update upgrade upgrade"... etc

Are we running software for productivity, performance or for living the life of applying updates and patches to "security exploits" created in security labs by "experts"? Let's say you're screwed. What will happen? Nobody knows.
All fuss about security didn't prevent ransomware attacks as well as sudden discovery of the security hole on a hardware level such as Spectre and Meltdown lurking as they said for decades before being "mitigated" in 2017 or so. The interesting thing is that no reports about serious breaches and global catastrophes caused by the couple. Old holes covered, new ones open. So, considering that there're really a few variants:
  1. Your machine is seized. No security updates can stop that. One day in the future it will just happen: they "harden" their defence grid, the other side figures out new ways to override it. By "figures out" I mean it mostly succeeds.
  2. Your machine is infected. In this case, as they been telling us for years, nothing serious will happen either because, they said, your Mac has Unix-proof inherited security mechanisms that simply isolate infected parts of the system.
  3. Nothing happens. The main advertised reason ("you should update your software because of security") loses all its attractiveness. At that point you may run your software as long as you benefit and if you decide to update it's just because you want new features. To buy a computer and apps just for "security" is the most absurd and ridiculous thing - and the unscrupulous marketing strategy - thought out ever. Wouldn't it be most secure not to buy them at all? A computer is a tool for work to be done, not a hacker's gloves.
  4. Even if you're so obsessed and managed to build the wall so that you feel the ideal security is accomplished then you're not secure either: you left all too many footprints so those who really want and in possession of large data hoards (government) will get to you. Social No, social profiles, your home, work, family - all of that is easily detectable. The reason is that it's easily identifiable by persons having access to greater technical means of surveillance which leads to the acknowledgement of the fact that these people have a lot of power you could do nothing against in terms of cybersecurity. Any government has more at its disposal and the best in class. Tech companies make great play with deliberately injected fears.
Does that mean you're free of troubles? Definitely no. However, those are of a completely different nature and the main one is compatibility which is a nice word for "obsolescence": the more products a company has on its offerings list the more compatibility issues is going to emerge. In just 3 years "the most advanced operating system" is worth (according to Apple's vision) throwing it out. If you want to sync your devices your iOS and OS X must fall within a very narrow scope of compatibility: you can't sync Lion computer with an iOS7 device through iTunes 10.6.3 despite the fact that support for Lion ended in 2014 and iOS 7 was released in 2013 - you must run either iOS 6 or Mountain Lion or newer or update to a crappy and godawful iTunes 12: I don't understand why I can't use iTunes 10 or at least iTunes 11? You can't sync Mavericks (supported in 2013-2016) with iOS 12 (2018), only iOS 11 (2017) because iTunes 12.7 (2018) will require at least Yosemite (2014: the trash just like iTunes 12). Today I got my new iPhone SE with iOS 11 (2017) and wasn't able to sync it with Mac because iTunes 11.4 (2014) is not enough, I only managed to do that in High Sierra with iTunes 12.8! Likewise, if you've got "iBook Author" that's compatible with pre-El Cap you cannot use its "preview on an iOS" feature. That's just stupid: in iBook Store, the requirements to read eBooks are Mavericks and later and iOS 4 and later, why in the world can't I use preview in an older version of iBA?

I did update to Mavericks and High Sierra but found Mavericks robust and advanced enough so that HS seems like overkill. Being cautious I never installed on top but ran concurrently and this strategy justified itself in several situations. More and more time I spend in Mavericks: it has better apps support than Lion and it's UI is gorgeous. Meanwhile, I pop in HS just to do a couple of things and get back. I was running Lion as my main OS X up to last year's December. I never experienced any breaches, threats etc and I browsed the darkest corners of the web including adult sites and other places of my pervert interest. My main threat was the ageing of the software: at first, Google dropped support for the mapping services in Apple apps, then other players followed the suit and Safari 5 became simply unusable on such demanding sites as Facebook, Cult of Mac, MacWorld, Flickr, Vimeo and the likes - used it for light browsing with browsers providing better support than Apple. For example, Chrome 49 (2016) was so advanced when released that it can run pretty well even today and began to show early signs of decay only recently with the likes of Disqus, Apple.com - and in the latter case not because of the rendering technology but because Apple decided to do the general overhaul of their site: I'm able to log in with Chrome but buttons to post, comment and click don't work anymore. You won't believe but I successfully logged in to Apple's site and ASC, browsed, posted in Safari 5.1.7 (2012) till December 2018!

I inverse their mantra: don't compromise your efficacy in favour of security. Breath easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowlover and R2FX

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Mavericks was the buggiest of the post Tiger OS as far as I could tell. Some of its bugs weren't resolved till High Sierra and Mojave. Most of the applications I use these days will not run over it.

Good riddance.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Mavericks was the buggiest of the post Tiger OS as far as I could tell. Some of its bugs weren't resolved till High Sierra and Mojave. Most of the applications I use these days will not run over it.

Good riddance.
I agree about bugs. I can attest since Preview which I use on a regular basis has worse annotations implemention than that in Lion's Preview and the situation worsened in High Sierra. I listed all quirks here if curious: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-since-yosemite.1806654/page-2#post-27055282

However I can state with a great deal of confidence that installing SSD improved performance and stability by an order of magnitude. On the traditional HDD Mavericks had been slow as molasses and the system had been killing many jobs to get things done, perhaps built-in strategy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.