Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
This feature was dropped from Firefox a while back after a report that there could be a 9% performance drop with the feature in use and as such it's been missing from TFF too.
After making the request, Cameron Kaiser has kindly added the feature back in and after some testing I've not found any adverse effects at all - in fact, the latest TFF beta scores higher than version 16 on my DLSD.

To use the feature, go to about:config right click and add a new string entry with, general.useragent.override.* - where * is the website you wish to change user agent for eg:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com

When prompted for the string value, enter your chosen user agent.

Now when browsing, the user agent selected in TFF Preferences will be in place except for the site you've specified. This can save immense resources, particularly on portables, if a website can be viewed with an older, lesser specified user agent. For example, on my DLSD, the standard TFF default user agent takes 25 seconds to load Youtube but with either the IE8 or Nokia N90 user agent, load times drop to 9 and 4 seconds respectively.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@Dronecatcher

Have to say thanks for mentioning this. For years, the site I have visited most has been news.google.com. When Google changed the format I resorted to a workaround by using search terms in the regular Google search page then clicking on the news tab.

All that garbage they added drives even my Quad to near stall speeds. So, I added this and gave it an iPad with iOS 13 user agent and things are back to *normal*. A little more testing and I may add it back to my shortcuts (CMD+5).

Thanks!

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Testing this in FPR16.1 and I couldn’t seem to get it to recognize the user agent override for youtube.com - I’ll have to keep playing with the settings...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.