Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Hi!
I just got a Series 4 watch, and I thought the Series 4/5 have better sleep tracking... but I don’t know.

Is this a feature of the new watches, or do I need a third-party app? And what does sleep tracking do? I assume it gives me an idea of how often I’m waking and whether that’s healthy... but I don’t know and I’m interested. Thanks in advance.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Right now, you need a third party app. Apple supposedly has an app in progress, there were rumors it would release with WatchOS 6, but that hasn’t happened.

If you sleep fairly well and wake reasonably rested, sleep tracking won’t do much for you. If you have sleep issues, use it in conjunction with other trackers (like food, mood, alcohol) and it *may* help you figure out whether or not you can fix things through lifestyle changes, or whether you need to see a doctor.

I used Sleep Cycle via the phone for years (still use it for their smart alarm sometimes). Pillow app on the watch has proven more accurate for me. But if I didn’t have chronic insomnia, I wouldn’t bother.

Reactions: Alameda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.