Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I just got my iBook and would like to protect it? Does anyone reccomend a sleeve or just no protectors at all? If so, should I get a cool foofbag or a classic Maccase? Finally, any accesories to get? (RAM, software, etc..)

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
If you check at the top of the "Buying Tips" section, there are some links that will be useful to you.
One is entitled "Buying RAM" and should have the info you want about upgrading your iBook.
Also, there's a link about "Cases" that has descriptions/reviews of many of the popular cases out there that you could use.
Which case you decide on getting largely depends on exactly your needs - only a sleeve for protection, a hybrid sleeve/carrying case, or a full-fledged bag with many compartments as well as iBook protection.

Here's the link:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/54/

Best wishes!

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
definitely go for a case. the iBooks are pretty tough, but a case will help protect against drops or scratches. as for ram or other accessories, i say load up with as much ram as you can afford. then get some sort of external hard you can use for back up. also, a thumb drive is good for transferring small amounts of data to other computers. then just go for fun stuff like wireless mice or keyboards or speakers or such.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
grab an stm rebound

don't get a foofbag.. they provide minimal protection and leave marks on the outer casing of your ibook :(

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
The best sleeves by far in my opinion are the incase ones, they are soft good looking and thick. Much better then the tucano ones.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
terriyaki said:
grab an stm rebound

don't get a foofbag.. they provide minimal protection and leave marks on the outer casing of your ibook :(

What do u mean by marks? And have you owned one?

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
The marks are small scratches that go from one end to the other end of the ibook. Most users get them and just ignore them. My 2 month old iBook is starting to get them. You must check it at an angle to see them.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
zeroshock.

New zeroshocks with increased side protection.

Or regular zeroshock.

I have three. One for my 14" ibook; one for my 12" pb one for a 12" iBook.

They work. They're small. They protect and don't scratch.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
rye9 said:
What do u mean by marks? And have you owned one?
Yeah I own a red foofbag and everytime I use it it leaves the imprint of the inside pattern of the foofbag on the exterior shell of my iBook. They're not scratches or anything like that.. but they are very hard to take off. I would usually have to clean my iBook's shell with some rubbing alcohol and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get rid of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.