Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slick1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Hello - I have a Synology DS115 and when I try to download movies on an external network than what my Synology is connected to, the data transfer speed is really slow. Can soumone help me please?

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
you need to be connected to the network that the NAS is on and run a simple speed test from a computer or phone such as Speedtest.net. I'm almost willing to be that its the upload speed of the ISP thats limiting you. Most IPS's upload speed is much lower than the download speed. In todays times uploads are becoming more important which is why ISP's are starting to offer symmetrical upload and download speeds.

slick1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
you need to be connected to the network that the NAS is on and run a simple speed test from a computer or phone such as Speedtest.net. I'm almost willing to be that its the upload speed of the ISP thats limiting you. Most IPS's upload speed is much lower than the download speed. In todays times uploads are becoming more important which is why ISP's are starting to offer symmetrical upload and download speeds.
My upload speed is 5mbps but still the download off of external should be as low as 600kbps?

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
it could be depending on the network condition and other factors. that upload speed just isn't fast enough for server service especially downloading movies which are usually larger files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.