Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Not sure if a thread has already started on this.
There are a ton of Android Wear based watches, but I'm looking for ones that are iOS compatible.
While I will in all likelihood pick up an AW6 this fall, I'm intrigued by other outside the Apple ecosystem.

Notably, there's a new Scanwatch by Witherings.
It has the look of a classic analog watch but with pretty advanced smartwatch features.
Of course, we'll have to see how well it performs as it's not shipping yet.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020

See #81 and next

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Refer to those posts above.

Also, WearOS works with iOS, as does Tizen (Samsung). All are constrained by iOS’ restrictions - e.g. you cannot reply to messages, use Siri etc. Since the smartwatch landscape on Android is so mediocre (despite allowing full interaction with the phone), IMO iPhone users really are best sticking with an Apple Watch.

Having said that, I know iPhone users who don’t like the look of the Watch and therefore have a Michael Kors WearOS watch or whatever instead. Horses for courses.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've been using Garmin watches since around 2011. First the Forerunner 610 (felt like a brick on my wrist), then the Forerunner 630 (very nice at the time) and now the Fenix 5+ which I love. The only thing that I'd like better is the Fenix 6. Garmin is great if you are really into fitness, hiking, or golf. They started building watches around 2004 so they have a lot of experience at it. They also have a really wide selection of bands including stainless steel and titanium for those that don't like silicone, nylon, fake leather or leather.

They're more of a fitness watch with smartwatch features than a complete smartwatch and you get vastly better battery life for that.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I've been using Garmin watches since around 2011. First the Forerunner 610 (felt like a brick on my wrist), then the Forerunner 630 (very nice at the time) and now the Fenix 5+ which I love. The only thing that I'd like better is the Fenix 6. Garmin is great if you are really into fitness, hiking, or golf. They started building watches around 2004 so they have a lot of experience at it. They also have a really wide selection of bands including stainless steel and titanium for those that don't like silicone, nylon, fake leather or leather.

They're more of a fitness watch with smartwatch features than a complete smartwatch and you get vastly better battery life for that.
I love my Fenix 5, too! Great watch. I hate rectangular watches and don't want to recharge every night. The battery also survives tracking a long hike. The only thing I miss is Spotify integration for running, as I don't take my phone with me.

Reactions: pshufd

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I cannot recommend the Garmin watch because my Forerunner 45 died after a few days. But the next two Polar's were great :) and I can recommend them. I also prefer sports watches over smart watches.

Garmin connected with my iOS application worse (that's why I restarted it often and one time it did not turn on). Perhaps it's just a matter of my watch. My wife had some problems updating the weather on the Garmin Vivosport band, after replacing it with a new one (due to this problem and a loosened charging connector) the problem was no longer there, but after a hacking attack on the server, she also switched to Polar.

Garmin certainly has more functions (although for me it is not an advantage) than the Polar. It also has more devices (such as sports cameras, bicycle computers and navigation) and its own ecosystem.

An interesting option is also Suunto - these are more outdated watches.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Oh. I have connectivity issues too. I have to turn off/on Bluetooth from time to time for example. But the watch itself works great, and I like the interface without a touchscreen. Always works no matter how wet my hands are.

I looked into Suunto, too. But they had a lot of issues with their software when I bought my Fenix

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I love my Fenix 5, too! Great watch. I hate rectangular watches and don't want to recharge every night. The battery also survives tracking a long hike. The only thing I miss is Spotify integration for running, as I don't take my phone with me.

They added Spotify support on the Fenix 5+. I use iTunes for music and podcasts on the Fenix 5+.

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 1.30.23 PM.png

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
Maybe the problem was that I didn't want the watch permanently connected to my phone because I don't use notifications. And the synchronization twice a day was problematic.

As for Suunto, you are right, I think they are still migrating from one platform to another, but at the very sight of Suunto Baro 9 I wanted to have it :) Luckily it was too expensive then;)

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I cannot recommend the Garmin watch because my Forerunner 45 died after a few days. But the next two Polar's were great :) and I can recommend them. I also prefer sports watches over smart watches.

Garmin connected with my iOS application worse (that's why I restarted it often and one time it did not turn on). Perhaps it's just a matter of my watch. My wife had some problems updating the weather on the Garmin Vivosport band, after replacing it with a new one (due to this problem and a loosened charging connector) the problem was no longer there, but after a hacking attack on the server, she also switched to Polar.

Garmin certainly has more functions (although for me it is not an advantage) than the Polar. It also has more devices (such as sports cameras, bicycle computers and navigation) and its own ecosystem.

An interesting option is also Suunto - these are more outdated watches.

I am not familiar with the Forerunner 45 but my 630 still works (my wife uses it now) and it's almost four years old. My Fenix 5+ has a titanium case with DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coating, and sapphire crystal and it's been bulletproof so far. But that's what you'd expect for $1K.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
Yes, the FR45 is, however, the basic model. I probably got a faulty watch. It weighs heavily on my assessment of the company, but I appreciate the ecosystem for athletes they have created.

Reactions: pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yes, the FR45 is, however, the basic model. I probably got a faulty watch. It weighs heavily on my assessment of the company, but I appreciate the ecosystem for athletes they have created.

Fitbit had a reputation for QC issues many years ago and then I saw Garmin getting into cost-reduced models. That is watches with a lot of features that didn't cost very much. $200 for the FR45 isn't low-end as Garmin has made several sub $100 GPS watches back then. But $200 for the amount of features in the FR45 may mean that they had to cut corners for that model.

When a new model Fenix comes out, they tippy-top models are sold out for a couple of months. There are a lot of people out there that just buy the most expensive or near-most-expensive model and then enjoy it. It's similar to the iPhone market.

It would not surprise me if they do have some QC issues in their volume markets. That's a bit of the nature of electronics today and we even have seen it with Apple.

Reactions: filu_

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
I love my Samsung Galaxy Watch (46mm version). I believe they work fine with iOS, as the Galaxy Wearables app is available in iOS.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Be mindful if you go Samsung watches, they gimp the functionality on non-Samsung phones, including other Android-based phones. Apps such as Messages, Email, and Gallery are just GONE. They rely entirely on Samsung's version of the phone apps and don't even get installed onto the watch if using a non-Samsung phone.

The only workaround is either using Bixby to send or reply to a message (you won't be able to view the conversation, sadly) or use the notification itself to compose a reply. For example, when I used my Galaxy Watch Active with a Motorola G7 Power, I was able to view a notification for a text message, tap it, and got the ability to compose a reply or dictate a message by voice. I could also ask Bixby 'send a message' and compose one that way.

As for missing email, you can still manually set the notification preferences to show notifications from Apple mail or Gmail, or whatever app you use. You'll get the notifications, but no ability to compose a new message.

Reactions: adib

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Be mindful if you go Samsung watches, they gimp the functionality on non-Samsung phones, including other Android-based phones. Apps such as Messages, Email, and Gallery are just GONE. They rely entirely on Samsung's version of the phone apps and don't even get installed onto the watch if using a non-Samsung phone.

The only workaround is either using Bixby to send or reply to a message (you won't be able to view the conversation, sadly) or use the notification itself to compose a reply. For example, when I used my Galaxy Watch Active with a Motorola G7 Power, I was able to view a notification for a text message, tap it, and got the ability to compose a reply or dictate a message by voice. I could also ask Bixby 'send a message' and compose one that way.

As for missing email, you can still manually set the notification preferences to show notifications from Apple mail or Gmail, or whatever app you use. You'll get the notifications, but no ability to compose a new message.
Seriously, is there no Gmail app for the Galaxy watches?

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Huawei Watch GT2 Pro
300€, Sapphire display, ceramic back and 10-14 days battery life in a titan watch case.

Pros: it looks like a watch ;), battery life, materials used. Bang for your buck.
Cons: no apps can be installed, no Apple Pay, no Google Pay, no Samsung Pay.

"Huawei Health" app for IOS and Android for workouts, which works quite well.
Huawei Watch GT2 Pro.png

Last edited:

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
I had no idea the Samsung Galaxy Watch worked with iOS until last week. I used to use it only with my Note 9. It's great to have when my Apple Watch S5 is charging.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The new Xiaomi Watch looks great for 99€. Superb battery life and screen.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Seriously, is there no Gmail app for the Galaxy watches?

No. In fact, there are zero Google services at all on them. Google only seems to want to support Android, while Samsung Gear/Galaxy watches are all running Tizen, which has a similar UI but is not the same OS at all. You can either prefer that, as I do (I hate Google's apps and prefer Samsung's) or use Wear OS, which is on the verge of abandonment if you ask me. Google's ideas are never very long-lasting and I got burned too many times by them abandoning and later killing services I depend on, then me having to relearn yet another app doing something similar to the old one but with a drastically different UI. I prefer my muscle memory remaining intact. Google is essentially no different than someone coming into your home, declaring your furniture 'too old' and changing and rearranging it every few years. I went through the death of Google Reader, then Notebook, then Health, and now they are doing similar yet not quite the same thing with News, Keep, and Fit. I'm just sick of it. At least Samsung Music won't die since it has an offline function, but I feel sorry for those who loved Google Play Music and them now having to learn Youtube Music.

There are, however, unofficial ways of getting Google Assistant on the Samsung watches, but I bet the battery will be toast, and the Assistant would be less functional than Bixby given that the Assistant would be utterly useless with Tizen-based apps so forget telling it to send messages or compose emails, but at least it can turn on your lights, right?

Reactions: adib
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.