Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Greetings.

Having lamented the design of Yosemite and El Capitan since their release, I have decided to take matters into my own hands and build a Snow Leopard theme for 10.11.

I am using ThemeEngine for this project and will periodically update this thread with my progress. I expect to have the theme completed within the next couple of weeks, however my lack of familiarity with ThemeEngine may introduce delays.

Current progress (image attached):
- Replaced traffic lights
- Located and tested window frame color changes (not accurate yet)
- Replaced dock background
- Located menu bar bitmaps
- Located and tested popup window frame color changes
- Located control highlight bitmaps

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 21.51.13.png Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 21.14.29.png

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Update:

- Window frame colors are now accurate
- Located and tested back/forward button bitmaps
- Located and tested popup window background color
- Replaced system icons
- Located Open dialog button and window frame bitmaps

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 00.42.10.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 00.45.42.png

Notes:

- VibrantLightAppearance.car appears to contain assets for the login screen and SystemAppearance.car will not be loaded in its absence. The default theme is instead loaded from an as yet unknown location.

- Toggling Increase contrast within the Accessibility preference pane loads another instance of the default theme with added contrast and no translucency. Modifying this elusive theme may be the key to selective dock transparency, which has been a problem thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPodClassic1

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've thought about making a Snow Leopard theme in ThemeEngine, but the lack of Retina @2x assets in Snow Leopard put me off it, as well as the different scrollbar behavior in El Capitan (I've experimented with glossy Aqua-like scrollbars, and there is no special state for inactive window scrollbars anymore). I'm curious as to how you plan to solve these two problems.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I've thought about making a Snow Leopard theme in ThemeEngine, but the lack of Retina @2x assets in Snow Leopard put me off it, as well as the different scrollbar behavior in El Capitan (I've experimented with glossy Aqua-like scrollbars, and there is no special state for inactive window scrollbars anymore). I'm curious as to how you plan to solve these two problems.

I always run OS X with native UI scaling, so the lack of @2X assets hasn't been a concern for me. As for the scrollbar behaviour, that is a problem which I will have to deal with when I encounter it. I do not yet have a solution.

The most significant challenges thus far have been the Finder sidebar color and menu bar translucency. Neither of them appear to have corresponding assets in the SystemAppearance or Assets files.

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2014
Good stuff, I'm glad someone's putting in work for a complete, custom OS X theme.

You may recall Obsidian Menu Bar, which gave us a dark menu bar before Yosemite did.. Perhaps check it out to see just which files it modifies to get the menu bar to be dark. I took a look at said files a while ago, but I think I hit a dead-end... Maybe I just got too busy, I forget, but anyway check that out, maybe it'll solve the menu bar roadblock.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
XtraFinder can do the Finder sidebar coloring and label coloring
cDock can theme the dock

I'm like 99.9% sure editing the scrollbars can't be done with images and would require code injection. Same goes for the menubar

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm like 99.9% sure editing the scrollbars can't be done with images and would require code injection.
Well, it's a good thing you didn't say 100% ;)
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 11.03.04 PM.png
Custom traffic lights and scrollbars implemented using ThemeEngine. It gives El Capitan a bit more depth.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I was referring to the color of the actual sidebar panel, rather than the icons. In Snow Leopard, it is a light blue.

Have you tried turning on “Reduce transparency”? The sidebar gets a blue tint if I am not mistaken.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Have you tried turning on “Reduce transparency”? The sidebar gets a blue tint if I am not mistaken.
My screenshots in the second post were captured with translucency disabled.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
After updating to the most recent 10.11.4 beta, I found that SIP had been re-enabled and the original theme restored. It will likely be necessary to disable SIP and replace SystemAppearance.car following all OS X updates.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
XtraFinder can do the Finder sidebar coloring and label coloring
cDock can theme the dock

I'm like 99.9% sure editing the scrollbars can't be done with images and would require code injection. Same goes for the menubar

If you could do for the menubar that you've done for the Dock then you'll be a even more popular man amongst us themers.

This has always been one of my issues when making themes; the look of the menubar. If we could inject a tileable or possibly whole width(preffered) image into the menubar then we would be golden.
[doublepost=1456466906][/doublepost]Also - good luck Troy2000. It's a journey making themes for El Capitan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcmeowmers

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
If you could do for the menubar that you've done for the Dock then you'll be a even more popular man amongst us themers.

This has always been one of my issues when making themes; the look of the menubar. If we could inject a tileable or possibly whole width(preffered) image into the menubar then we would be golden.
[doublepost=1456466906][/doublepost]Also - good luck Troy2000. It's a journey making themes for El Capitan.

I'm sure it's possible. Flavours does it. I just don't know what process draws the menubar background.

Also it is possible to run Flavours on El Capitan.

helloworldmac123

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016
It really looks nice! But i've read that you cannot use Themeengine 2 to theme El Cap, atleast the creators of this program said this.

I just heard something about rootles - so is there a way to do it still? Would love to check yours out and maybe give it a try myself aswell.

Someone maybe give me some short hints how i'd be able to and how i should start?

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
It really looks nice! But i've read that you cannot use Themeengine 2 to theme El Cap, atleast the creators of this program said this.

I just heard something about rootles - so is there a way to do it still? Would love to check yours out and maybe give it a try myself aswell.

Someone maybe give me some short hints how i'd be able to and how i should start?
ThemeEngine does support El Capitan, however you will need to disable System Integrity Protection (formally Rootless). In order to do this, you will need to boot into your recovery partition (hold "CMD+R" at boot), open a terminal and execute the command "csrutil disable".

Last edited:

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
This is so sad. "make OS X great again".

It's like they say. Remember those that were against dropping Diskette? CD drives? Now they are the same people theming the OS back to the bronze age, to "make it great again". Oh well. Enjoy.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
So where could one find this theme? Or is it still in development? Would love to give it a try.

MacRobert10

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2012
Greetings.

Having lamented the design of Yosemite and El Capitan since their release, I have decided to take matters into my own hands and build a Snow Leopard theme for 10.11.

I am using ThemeEngine for this project and will periodically update this thread with my progress. I expect to have the theme completed within the next couple of weeks, however my lack of familiarity with ThemeEngine may introduce delays.

Current progress (image attached):
- Replaced traffic lights
- Located and tested window frame color changes (not accurate yet)
- Replaced dock background
- Located menu bar bitmaps
- Located and tested popup window frame color changes
- Located control highlight bitmaps

View attachment 616796 View attachment 616794

Do you have any instructions anywhere telling how to do this? If I could get El Capitan to look decent I might be inclined to use it more often.

GoMiners

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
My apologies for the lack of updates; I haven't had a great deal of spare time to continue work on it recently. I will post the work-in-progress files for people to play with later today.

Looking forward to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.