Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Does it work or does it not run in Catalina? Photoshop CS6 is a 64bit app but I’m wondering if Apple crippled some adobe component that wasn’t 64bit therefore preventing photoshop from starting up on Catalina

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Very strange, Photoshop CS6 will run in Mojave with 32-bit execution disabled at the kernel level, but not in Catalina.

Looks like I'll be a holdout after all. Apple hasn't given me a compelling reason to update the iMac and I don't want to break Photoshop CS6 (or go to the subscription scheme of the current version). Eventually I'll just have to look for a non-Adobe alternative.

Becoming tired of Apple breaking things with these updates and acting like they couldn't care less - last year it was the Nvidia drivers on the 5,1 Mac Pro and unnecessary hardware Metal requirement. I'm increasingly thinking that it'd be better to move back to one major update every two or three years, or at the very least keep Xcode and other updates flowing to people on older versions of MacOS for several years after they become deprecated because there are more valid reasons to not update with every release.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
1. Unstable, lots of bugs. At least don't update now, wait a couple of months when everything is sorted

2. Catalina is not an important release. These new features are not worth the upgrade. Actually you're downgrading because you lose 32-bit support.
If you want Continuity with iOS 13 you have to upgrade.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
If you want Continuity with iOS 13 you have to upgrade.

Continuity is not something revolutionary or exclusive to Catalina..

You can do this on older versions of macOS by using the third-party apps (Duet Display).

humble turnip

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
Photoshop CS6 (and Illustrator CS6) are 64 bit, but they have lots of 32-bit dependencies. That's why they don’t work. Lazy Adobe only updated these 32 bit elements recently for CC.

I was going to hold off updating to Catalina, but I upgraded Reminders on ios without realizing that they would stop working on Mojave so I am kind of forced into upgrading.

I've been trying Affinity and it does most of what CS6 does. For the missing functions I am going to use a dual partition set up.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
If you do not need to use iPad as secondary display, do not care about syncing Reminders, and are not impatient to try out the iPad apps on Mac, then there is exactly 0 reasons to update to Catalina at this time.
[automerge]1570518727[/automerge]
Very strange, Photoshop CS6 will run in Mojave with 32-bit execution disabled at the kernel level, but not in Catalina.

Looks like I'll be a holdout after all. Apple hasn't given me a compelling reason to update the iMac and I don't want to break Photoshop CS6 (or go to the subscription scheme of the current version). Eventually I'll just have to look for a non-Adobe alternative.

Becoming tired of Apple breaking things with these updates and acting like they couldn't care less - last year it was the Nvidia drivers on the 5,1 Mac Pro and unnecessary hardware Metal requirement. I'm increasingly thinking that it'd be better to move back to one major update every two or three years, or at the very least keep Xcode and other updates flowing to people on older versions of MacOS for several years after they become deprecated because there are more valid reasons to not update with every release.

Il'll be a holdout as long as Apple doesn't force me to update, that is, when the latest Xcode doesn't work on Mojave anymore.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Continuity is not something revolutionary or exclusive to Catalina..

You can do this on older versions of macOS by using the third-party apps (Duet Display).

New Reminders require Catalina. Also, attachments in Calendar and I'm guessing some other apps too. Also, you need Catalina if you want to use Sidecar, which is, like, the best Mac update for me in years. Of course, if you don't care about either of those, then yeah, Catalina is not a major thing for you.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I still don't understand though, Photoshop CS6 is a 64BIT App so why does it NOT work under catalina? did catalina break some related component in the ADOBE family that is installed on the mac alongside Photoshop CS6 which Photoshop CS6 relies on to Launch which is the reason for photoshop not even being able to launch in Catalina?

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I still don't understand though, Photoshop CS6 is a 64BIT App so why does it NOT work under catalina? did catalina break some related component in the ADOBE family that is installed on the mac alongside Photoshop CS6 which Photoshop CS6 relies on to Launch which is the reason for photoshop not evening being able to launch in Catalina?

Possibly.... it’s a very old app, things break. Apple improves and changes various parts of the OS and they expect developers to ensure compatibility. It’s just how things work, which may be unfortunate if you rely on old software that doesn’t receive support anymore. I understand your pain :)

Hey, at least today you have some nice alternatives to Photoshop if you aren’t willing to pay the subscription. Have you considered Affinity Photo, for example?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I still don't understand though, Photoshop CS6 is a 64BIT App so why does it NOT work under catalina?

It is 64-bit but it still has 32-bit dependencies, which will cause issues, see post above for a way to get it working.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I stay with Mojave and High Sierra on my Mac Pro's 5,1 so that I can run CS6 without problems. ?
I only upgraded to Catalina on my MacBook Po 2015 where I removed all 32 bit applications and CS6.

humble turnip

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
It's worth noting that Affinity Photo is currently on offer with 50% off:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Affinity/comments/dehuv2
Say good-bye to greedy Adobe. Affinity Photo opens the majority of PSD files just like Photoshop and even supports Photoshop brushes. It's snappier than CS6. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it can do most of the things Photoshop does.

At this price, it would be silly not to get it. Affinity Photo 2.0 isn't expected to come out for a few years, so until then all updates are free.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Say good-bye to greedy Adobe. Affinity Photo opens the majority of PSD files just like Photoshop and even supports Photoshop brushes. It's snappier than CS6. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it can do most of the things Photoshop does.

At this price, it would be silly not to get it. Affinity Photo 2.0 isn't expected to come out for a few years, so until then all updates are free.

Also, there is a fully featured, excellent iPad app, while we’re still waiting on Photoshop for iOS. Depending on your needs, Affinity Photo may be a great choice.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010

How can you even compare affinity to photoshop? Affinity is not in the same league as photoshop.

humble turnip

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
How can you even compare affinity to photoshop? Affinity is not in the same league as photoshop.
It depends on your needs. Granted there's lots of stuff that Photoshop can do that Affinity can't.

However, I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years, and Affinity does everything I need it to do. I can't think of a single feature from Photoshop that I personally am missing in Affinity.
Plus it has the benefit of being faster than CS6 and no subscription or greedy prices for upgrades.

So in my book, Photoshop isn't in the same league as Affinity.

It's like iphone vs Android. There's tones of things you can do on Andorid that you can't do on iPhone. But for the average iPhone user, the iPhone has everything they want. The extra stuff Android can do isn't important to them, and they prefer the convenience of iPhone.

Reactions: Glenny2lappies

GrandCiel

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
If CS6 doesn’t work after the upgrade I can assume Premiere Pro CS4 won’t. I have Production Premium CS6 on my Windows Editing PC but didn’t want to purchase a second copy to run on Macs.

Not a fan of Adobe requiring separate Windows/Mac licenses for the times I need to edit images in the field.
Looks like I’ll hold out as long as I can before upgrading.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
It depends on your needs. Granted there's lots of stuff that Photoshop can do that Affinity can't.

However, I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years, and Affinity does everything I need it to do. I can't think of a single feature from Photoshop that I personally am missing in Affinity.
Plus it has the benefit of being faster than CS6 and no subscription or greedy prices for upgrades.

So in my book, Photoshop isn't in the same league as Affinity.

It's like iphone vs Android. There's tones of things you can do on Andorid that you can't do on iPhone. But for the average iPhone user, the iPhone has everything they want. The extra stuff Android can do isn't important to them, and they prefer the convenience of iPhone.

how much does affinity cost for Mac?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I had success getting Photoshop CS6 to work, as detailed in this thread:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.