Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashxlanding

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
I figured out that you actually can use Photoshop CS6 still on Catalina with a bit of sneakiness!
Go to the Photoshop app, right click, view contents, open MacOS folder and double click on the terminal file labeled Adobe PhotoShop CS6. It opened for me with no issues and I'm using it just fine :3 It will still not open from the regular way through the application itself, but at least I don't need a new version, phew! I had a near heart attack when I read these threads after my OS updated lol so glad I got it working! Hope this helps you guys too!

Reactions: Benz63amg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I figured out that you actually can use Photoshop CS6 still on Catalina with a bit of sneakiness!
Go to the Photoshop app, right click, view contents, open MacOS folder and double click on the terminal file labeled Adobe PhotoShop CS6. It opened for me with no issues and I'm using it just fine :3 It will still not open from the regular way through the application itself, but at least I don't need a new version, phew! I had a near heart attack when I read these threads after my OS updated lol so glad I got it working! Hope this helps you guys too!
Any way to change the ugly terminal file’s icon once placed in the dock?( I placed the terminal file in my dock to be able to easily access photoshop from the dock but the icon is so ugly)

crashxlanding

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Any way to change the ugly terminal file’s icon once placed in the dock?( I placed the terminal file in my dock to be able to easily access photoshop from the dock but the icon is so ugly)

I think you can change it, but you’d have to unlock the default apps on the system first (can’t remember how, you’ll have to google it), then create whatever icon png you want open it in preview highlight and copy, right click and “get info” on terminal, click the current terminal icon and paste. Otherwise, you’ll just have to suck it up lol I could careless about the ugliness, I’d rather have that then spend money on a new program lol.

apc02156

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2019
Go to the Photoshop app, right click, view contents, open MacOS folder and double click on the terminal file labeled Adobe PhotoShop CS6.

In my case Photoshop starts fine, shows the main window and panels after the splash screen, but any click inside turns the pointer into the spinning wheel and Photoshop doesn't respond. Tried to disable Photoshop plugins (launch with SHIFT hold) and remove .psp preference file. Just nothing :(

Then removed everything not related to Photoshop CS6 using official CC Cleaner tool, but no luck :(

P.S. It's a real shame to break such piece of software that way... taking into account that CS6 was still available for purchase in January 2017...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I still have CS4 I believe, and hope it will still run. Occasionally it fails due to a 'licensing error', but it's still working for me. I refuse to pay over and over for software I don't use much. My money is more important to me, but they want it more apparently.

And what about Gimp? Does it work for basic to moderate image manipulation? I remember it was mentioned, years ago, as a PS replacement option. Just curious...

writer57

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2019
Does it work or does it not run in Catalina? Photoshop CS6 is a 64bit app but I’m wondering if Apple crippled some adobe component that wasn’t 64bit therefore preventing photoshop from starting up on Catalina
I haven't upgraded yet. I am testing Catalina in virtual mode. I have not decided if I like it enough. As an alternative you can technically run Mojave in virtual. Though make sure have a mac with at least 4 cores and 32gb of ram. I only have 16 gb of ram so it works but it struggles. I get the beachball of death a lot.

triestino

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2019
Sketch and Photopea for me.
I started using Sketch app for page layout and it ended up replacing my needs for Illustrator too so I haven't used Ai or Id for ages. Now that the whole Adobe CS is broken I guess I'll use Photopea as an alternative to Ps. I've used it a bit and I don't mind it. My team at work uses it for basic logo work only, and so far it seems as good as Ps in terms of image quality reproduction. I don't know if the magic wand is as good but other than that - can't find a fault with it, other than a bit more clunky to use.

gcoghill

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Ohio
Has anybody tried this Terminal trick with Illustrator CS6?

Or does Illustrator CS6 run OK under Catalina?

TED UHALL

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
You could update to Catalina and connect an external hard drive with Mojave installed on it. Install Photoshop CS6 on the external....you can have the luxuries of Catalina...when you want to use photoshop...you can go to System Preferences..then startup disk and start up on your external with Mojave.
[automerge]1575965254[/automerge]
Or you could add a volume. Partition your drive without formating.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/partition-hard-drive-mac-3619175/

Last edited:
Reactions: gcoghill

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I haven't upgraded yet. I am testing Catalina in virtual mode. I have not decided if I like it enough. As an alternative you can technically run Mojave in virtual. Though make sure have a mac with at least 4 cores and 32gb of ram. I only have 16 gb of ram so it works but it struggles. I get the beachball of death a lot.

It's not really the issue with RAM but VMs dont have proper graphics acceleration. That's going to make the OS run really slow

kmcallister

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
I am able to open and create files on CS6, but have been unable to upload any images (jpgs, pdf, psd files) into CS6 using the exec file. Has anyone found a workaround?

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I am able to open and create files on CS6, but have been unable to upload any images (jpgs, pdf, psd files) into CS6 using the exec file. Has anyone found a workaround?

Have you tried granting it full disk access?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Just to add to this, I have managed to get Photoshop Cs5 to work on Catalina with a custom icon, so for anyone interested. Open up automator, create a new application, drag in 'run shell script'. Change the Shell Script to '/bin/zsh' from the pull down menu and enter the following command:

echo 'password' | sudo -S /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS5 ; exit;

Change the word password to your admin password to allow it to run with admin rights. Then export the application and look for a Photoshop icon you like on Google and paste it on the Application you just created.

Thanks to crashxlanding for pointing me in the right direction.

Edit: it still seems to randomly crash when saving, so running as admin hasn't fixed it. Don't suppose anyone else has managed to resolve this issue?

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
That’s terrible news, why is that? CS6 was a 64bit app

Just being 64 bit doesn't matter. Anytime a new OS is coming out it's 100% the responsibility of the app developer to make sure their apps are compatible. It's literally impossible for Apple to keep backwards compatibility for every single app out there.

CS6 is ancient, Adobe never updated it for the newer OSs. If it still worked on Mojave, great, but something changed in Catalina that no longer allows it to run so you'd have to either subscribe to Creative Cloud or stay on an older version.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
you can have the luxuries of Catalina..

or people can just stay with Mojave until it's confirmed that all the programs they need are supported in Catalina.

Mojave still gets all the security updates and the programs have no issue with running under Mojave.

Why the rush to Catalina ?

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
or people can just stay with Mojave until it's confirmed that all the programs they need are supported in Catalina. ... Why the rush to Catalina ?

'Coz one day we might have to buy a new Apple device. And one is just putting off the inevitable pain and cost ...

I recall the original photoshop. Years before layers came.

I recall when CS6 cost about $1,350 in Australian dollars. That was quite a lot of money. The full retail price. At the time the Australian dollar was close to the US dollar in value (incidentally now the Au dollars 30% less in value than the US dollar). I bought my CS6 with a piece of hardware much more cheaply - I think it was a camera lens or something. I had been using CS4. It wasn't cheap though but it was my software license.

Now Microsoft with office and Adobe etc. with their suites of software want rental rather than being able to pay a flat price. It's like the old Unix and IBM days when you bought a Mini you paid a lot for the annual software license. So now having PC dominant software like Office is becoming like being in the old mainframe world. So PCs are no longer like they used as good value individual units, if a piece of software becomes dominant. That's the price of anti-competitive environments. Adobe bought up their competition and Microsoft eliminated their Office competition and both got their respective dominance.

Rental models are fine for professionals as they running a business and they get used to having to pay monthly money to a mobster if it allows them to run their business without too much extra hassle. But it sucks for amateurs.

Last edited:

supadupa2532

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
YIPPPEEE IT FINALLY WORKS!!!! Fix that works for old Adobe products (CS6 for me) on Catalina and also Illustrator working again!!! Thank goodness! Also how to create Icons for the workaround..

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Just being 64 bit doesn't matter. Anytime a new OS is coming out it's 100% the responsibility of the app developer to make sure their apps are compatible. It's literally impossible for Apple to keep backwards compatibility for every single app out there.

CS6 is ancient, Adobe never updated it for the newer OSs. If it still worked on Mojave, great, but something changed in Catalina that no longer allows it to run so you'd have to either subscribe to Creative Cloud or stay on an older version.
And then there's Microsoft, who has been known to implement app-specific kernel hacks so that an app doesn't break with an OS upgrades...

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Guys i have a question, I have a new 2017 MacBook Pro that i purchased used and it has a fresh version of Catalina installed and i want to install Photoshop CS6 on it, I am unable to get the "Installer" of CS6 to launch by using the "Show package contents" > MacOS folder and initializing the Installer executable file by double clicking it, The installer just doesn't launch, is there a workaround to this?

The problem used to be launching photoshop CS6 on catalina after it was already installed on the mac in a previous version of macos such as Mojave but we figured out a way to launch CS6 afterall, My issues is different now as i have a new macbook pro that does not have any version of Photoshop installed on it and is already running Catalina and i am unable to install CS6 at all as the installer wont launch.

ResqDogz

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Very strange, Photoshop CS6 will run in Mojave with 32-bit execution disabled at the kernel level, but not in Catalina.

Looks like I'll be a holdout after all. Apple hasn't given me a compelling reason to update the iMac and I don't want to break Photoshop CS6 (or go to the subscription scheme of the current version). Eventually I'll just have to look for a non-Adobe alternative.

Becoming tired of Apple breaking things with these updates and acting like they couldn't care less - last year it was the Nvidia drivers on the 5,1 Mac Pro and unnecessary hardware Metal requirement. I'm increasingly thinking that it'd be better to move back to one major update every two or three years, or at the very least keep Xcode and other updates flowing to people on older versions of MacOS for several years after they become deprecated because there are more valid reasons to not update with every release.
Late to the party: Might I inquire as to how I would disable PS CS6 32-bit execution at the kernel level, please? Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.