Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
You’ve assumed correctly, in my opinion. That and numerous other Mail bugs reported by a multitude of people have gone ignored so far. They either cannot fix the bugs, or the bugs aren’t important enough for them to care.

Hundreds of people on Twitter and on Apple’s support forums have complained, but the complaints seem to fall upon deaf ears. I only hope enough people are opening tickets.

One would think that so many complaints from enterprises with thousands of users impacted would spur Apple into action. We’re at 13.2.2 now, and very little has been done to address Mail bugs.

Apple only seems to acknowledge certain bugs when the media gives them attention. I suggest that people experiencing Mail problems start contacting journalists rather than Apple. I’ve done so already.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013
I thought I was the only one with this issue. It’s kind of frustrating.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
We must remember that we don't have enough knowledge/expertise about the inner workings of Apple, iOS or iCloud to be able to make any type of determination about the problem or whom to blame. These issues could be a problem with the iCloud source code and don't require an iOS update for all we know.

Try not to jump to conclusions. Enjoy your phones. So you have to pull to refresh an app, it's not the end of the world.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Strange everyone keeps complaining about the Mail app. I receive the mail and notifications instantly on both my MBP and iPhone 11 Pro every time.

The only quirk I am facing is if I delete an email from my MBP, it stays on the iPhone until I manually refresh then it disappears but notifications and receiving new email is fine.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
We must remember that we don't have enough knowledge/expertise about the inner workings of Apple, iOS or iCloud to be able to make any type of determination about the problem or whom to blame. These issues could be a problem with the iCloud source code and don't require an iOS update for all we know.

Try not to jump to conclusions. Enjoy your phones. So you have to pull to refresh an app, it's not the end of the world.

It doesnt matter who to blame, it's on Apple as a company period. Their native apps should work.

iCloud has nothing to do with the email issues people are seeing with Gmail, Exchange and other types of email accounts.

It may not be the end of the world to you, but some rely on email and can cost them money or their job if things arent done timely. Email is an essential function of business these days.

Imagine if you had a brand new car and you only had to restart it at every traffic light. Would that be a mere brush off inconvenience for you too? It still drives after all by your logic. I would bet that no, you expect your new car to work and not stop working randomly interfering with your life/work/etc. and you would not accept the enjoy your car answer

Letting faceless companies off the hook for obvious bad conduct/practices (as per above hundreds have reported these bugs in the beta feedback app and still open 2 months later and numerous releases later) and telling people to just be ok with it is the pure definition of fanboyism.

There is no need to reply to me as I only debate facts, not fanboyism telling people "nothing to see here shut up and be happy with what you got (paid for and a lot for)" when there are hundreds and hundreds of posts online of the same few issues with Mail costing people at no fault of theirs.

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
It doesnt matter who to blame, it's on Apple as a company period. Their native apps should work.
Good point, their software should work. But, when it doesn't I could either sit and fume over it or find a workaround. Only one of those options is actually productive.

It may not be the end of the world to you, but some rely on email and can cost them money or their job if things arent done timely. Email is an essential function of business these days.
This is a very good reason for keeping a backup email service for those "just in case" moments.

Imagine if you had a brand new car and you only had to restart it at every traffic light. Would that be a mere brush off inconvenience for you too? It still drives after all by your logic. I would bet that no, you expect your new car to work and not stop working randomly interfering with your life/work/etc.
Actually, I would either switch cars or walk. It's not the end of the world.

Never give anything in life enough power to keep you from succeeding.

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019

That’s not the only issue. It is a major problem if you are using exchange for work emails. My phone is used for work purposes and not for anything else. You can’t enjoy something that doesn’t work. If you try and forward an email it will not always forward the attachment or the email string. If you read and delete emails they will still show as unread in your inbox. It may be fine for the causal user but for work usage and getting 200+ emails a day this is unacceptable.
[automerge]1573398663[/automerge]
Good point, their software should work. But, when it doesn't I could either sit and fume over it or find a workaround. Only one of those options is actually productive.

This is a very good reason for keeping a backup email service for those "just in case" moments.

Actually, I would either switch cars or walk. It's not the end of the world.

Never give anything in life enough power to keep you from succeeding.
There is no work around for those of us with exchange work accounts. While it may not affect you personally there are a lot of people and organizations that it does affect. Our company has over 500 users that have been unable to use iOS 13 due to email.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
There is a problem that has not been fixed yet that seems to be fine with you. Very strange attitude to take.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
That’s not the only issue. It is a major problem if you are using exchange for work emails. My phone is used for work purposes and not for anything else. You can’t enjoy something that doesn’t work. If you try and forward an email it will not always forward the attachment or the email string. If you read and delete emails they will still show as unread in your inbox. It may be fine for the causal user but for work usage and getting 200+ emails a day this is unacceptable.
[automerge]1573398663[/automerge]

There is no work around for those of us with exchange work accounts. While it may not affect you personally there are a lot of people and organizations that it does affect. Our company has over 500 users that have been unable to use iOS 13 due to email.
Yes, I understand and agree. I'm not trying to discount anything here and I apologize if my choice of words was poor. I'm merely saying that, if something doesn't work then it's time to switch to something that does work. If iOS 13 doesn't work, then don't use iOS 13. I find it concerning that a business would put all of their eggs in one basket.
[automerge]1573399234[/automerge]
There is a problem that has not been fixed yet that seems to be fine with you. Very strange attitude to take.
Yes, I choose to focus my resources on finding a workaround instead of complaining. The attitude is very strange in the world today. I understand that I am not popular.. and I'm ok with that.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Is the mail app not working or not working perfectly? Because I have 8 accounts and one exchange account and I’m getting all my emails. (Yes, the long press forward is broken but forwarding does work) ios 13.3 b1.
iOS 13.3 beta 1? That's good news indeed. Thank you for posting!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I have switched over as of this weekend, Mail only has my seldom used email accounts. My main accounts are now all linked to their base apps - GMail and ProtonMail.

Mail is broken and on the surface I do not see any major OS changes that account for this.

Reactions: thewhitehart

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I have switched over as of this weekend, Mail only has my seldom used email accounts. My main accounts are now all linked to their base apps - GMail and ProtonMail.

Mail is broken and on the surface I do not see any major OS changes that account for this.
Probably a wise move. Have you used Mail in the past on a Mac in iCloud or just on a phone? I find that on a Mac in iCloud the performance is very poor. Slow and very basic UI. ProtonMail and Gmail run circles around Mail on the desktop.

Reactions: dk001

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
It will not be fixed till Macrumors runs a new headline on the issue and The Verge captures it.
I’m surprised it hasn’t made any headlines. Then again the amount of exchange users is probably very small compared to the millions of normal users. I hope it does get noticed soon so I can go back to the 11 pro max.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Is the mail app not working or not working perfectly? Because I have 8 accounts and one exchange account and I’m getting all my emails. (Yes, the long press forward is broken but forwarding does work) ios 13.3 b1.

Both.
Default view won’t stick.
Deleted emails randomly reappear.
Notifications may or may not show.
Downloading some attachments, even viewing some attachments fails.
Mails do not load until after you access the app. SOmetimes you have to manually refresh
Sometimes the badge matches the count, other times not.
Forward usually works correctly. Usually. That’s to and from that has issues.
Notifications do not sync across all my Apple devices.
and others.

The biggest issue is the app can no longer be counted upon. I have far far fewer issues using Gmail app and have had no issues with my Protonmail app. I could see if Apple had performed major changes to email or the underlying functionality. I have not seen any indication of this in any of the release notes.
[automerge]1573405996[/automerge]
Probably a wise move. Have you used Mail in the past on a Mac in iCloud or just on a phone? I find that on a Mac in iCloud the performance is very poor. Slow and very basic UI. ProtonMail and Gmail run circles around Mail on the desktop.

Both. One of my problems is lack of syncing between my iphone, ipads, and MB.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I’m surprised it hasn’t made any headlines. Then again the amount of exchange users is probably very small compared to the millions of normal users. I hope it does get noticed soon so I can go back to the 11 pro max.

It's not just Exchange. Things like deleted emails not deleting, notification weirdness, having to manually refresh the inbox to see a new mail, is not exclusive to Exchange.

Apple simply doesnt care. Its a minor bug to them and not at the top of the priority list and makes them $0. Watch one of Renee Ritchie's recent videos on Vector's Youtube channel that explains how bugs are handled.

I dont want to sounds like a conspiracy theorist, but you damn well know if the TV app had a bug theyd fix it right away to protect their TV+ revenue. The Mail app doesnt make then a dime so its not priority if broken. It still works in theory.

Last edited:

ablatt

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Any large corporation using iPhones and the IOS Mail app will be screaming bloody murder. They could have 100's or 1000's of users unable to properly use mail and the IT services phone number will be ringing off the hook. You would think those large companies would have a large influence on Apple. They could easily threaten to go Android.

But then how do you explain how long it's taking? Surely, Apple knows about it. Is the bug too complex to figure out? Is it caused by other deep operating system flaws?

I don't get it and find it hard to believe they don't know about it or care.

Mail may not be sexy but it is the cornerstone of mobile phone use.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
What I don't understand, about this, is I haven't seen any major change in the mail app which would cause changes, which would cause problems such as this. If they completely redesigned app - maybe but what other than not working has really changed.

Didn't anyone see this in Beta testing and report it? I don't remember reading about this type of not working in the Beta

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.