Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
What was Apple trying to do when they were mucking around with the Mail app? Was there some grand new idea they were trying to implement? Or did they just decide they had found a better way to do things than what we already liked and were used to?
It’s a byproduct of being stuck in an annual upgrade cycle.

Reactions: 4492865

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
I at last received an update on a Feedback report I submitted in early September.... for an iCloud mail account not automatically pushing/updating. It looks like maybe the Apple Dev team are actually getting around to marking the reports up....... wow.... :(

FF1B7BA8-54E8-494D-9F63-FC1B04451E6B.png

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I've had issues with Mail from the 13 betas and now on the released 13.2.2, not tried the 13.3 beta to see if it't any better yet.

The problem for me is that I get a banner, sound and app badge to say I've received a new email, but on opening the Mail app there is no new email showing. I have to either wait 10-20 for it to finally appear or pull down to respring the list to bring it down. It's like the background app refresh just isn't working. This is on the "All Inboxes" view of which I have iCloud, Gmail, Exchange and a couple of IMAP addresses on my device.

One thing I did notice was that in the background app refresh screen in settings Mail isn't actually listed currently, not sure if it was before if anyone knows if it should be there or not, or someone on iOS 12 can have a look?

Biggest issue i have currently however is the fact I upgraded my financee's phone to 13 a couple of weeks ago and she not stopped moaning about the mail issue since, so it's not just me!
Same here, I didn't have n issue with 13.1.3 but with 13.2.2 today I was thinking I got no mail, then I refreshed manually, I found 6 emails!

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
It continues. Cook is appearing with the President in Texas colluding with the narrative that a new factory is being built while a core function like mail is left dangling in the wind. Things are really deteriorating with what used to be a respected brand.

Reactions: thewhitehart

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
That is good news but don't get too excited with the acknowledging it. I reported several reports and then for one of those mail freezing issue, the status changed to: more than 10 reports and potential fix for future os update. 2 days later, the status changed back to recent reports to none and resolution open. Further 2 days later, it changed to less than reports and resolution open.
Not sure why they were playing around like this but i gave up and deleted the mail app and started embracing outlook.

Reactions: thewhitehart

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I've found plenty of ios13 bugs, but Mail is actually working fine for me. My push emails come through right away and give me notifications like they're supposed to. :oops:

The only mail complaint I have is the bug since ios10 where clearing one mail notification from the lock screen also clears any other mail notifications in the list at the same time.
[automerge]1574447440[/automerge]
Still no notifications for me on 11.2.3 with a gmail account. I’ll stick with the gmail app. ☹

None at all, ever? Gmail doesn't send Push notifications unless you're using the Gmail app, so you have to specify a manual refresh time in settings (automatic setting is probably not the best either, as it leaves the refresh cycle up to the phone to decide).

Maybe you've already checked that, but just throwing it out there.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
That is good news but don't get too excited with the acknowledging it. I reported several reports and then for one of those mail freezing issue, the status changed to: more than 10 reports and potential fix for future os update. 2 days later, the status changed back to recent reports to none and resolution open. Further 2 days later, it changed to less than reports and resolution open.
Not sure why they were playing around like this but i gave up and deleted the mail app and started embracing outlook.

Ugh, that's not good news about the Feedback. Guess I will continue to monitor, and will post again if anything changes.

As for Outlook, I tried hard to embrace it for several weeks. It does have a few nice additions over Mail, but some other features are missing - like full threads, collapsed, with most recent email on top; VIPs to enable filtering of notification sounds; ability to reply/forward/draft an email, and while writing, "minimize" that email to copy some text from another, then easily return and paste.
You can do most of that in Outlook, but it needs additional steps to accomplish....

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
You can do most of that in Outlook, but it needs additional steps to accomplish....

I agree, except for (YMMV): extra steps/minor inconvenience > broken, not getting notifications, or not getting mail until going into the app missing something important.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
They’re recompiling the operating system in Swift and using us as a test base. They have no intention of spending money on QA when the user (big data) can provide the answers they need.

Why should they spend money? We provide data to Apple for free. When there are two companies in the entire world basically controlling the smartphone market as far as operating systems and app environments go, what incentive do they have to develop software that functions in a vastly superior way to their competitors?

Follow the money.

These Mail app bugs have existed since the first developer beta. Dev beta one. They don’t give a ****. It is not profitable for the company for them to care. It will not be fixed other than by routine code maintenance. It is simply not on their agenda.

I’m gladly open to criticism on this comment. Seven (eight?) iterations of iOS 13, and they can’t fix this?

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
They’re recompiling the operating system in Swift and using us as a test base. They have no intention of spending money on QA when the user (big data) can provide the answers they need.

Why should they spend money? We provide data to Apple for free. When there are two companies in the entire world basically controlling the smartphone market as far as operating systems and app environments go, what incentive do they have to develop software that functions in a vastly superior way to their competitors?

Follow the money.

These Mail app bugs have existed since the first developer beta. Dev beta one. They don’t give a ****. It is not profitable for the company for them to care. It will not be fixed other than by routine code maintenance. It is simply not on their agenda.

I’m gladly open to criticism on this comment. Seven (eight?) iterations of iOS 13, and they can’t fix this?

I agree, anyone who thinks poof all will be fixed (before 14 Beta 1 in 6.5 months) is nuts. It's been like this since JUNE- 5 months now.

It will get BETTER sure, 13.2.3 had a few fixes and Im sure a few more are coming.

But maybe it gets near 100% fixed by 14 launch and then back to the vicious cycle

If the TV or News apps were broken they would have an emergency update to make sure that $$$$ keeps rolling in. Mail makes then no money so isn't high priority.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
My mail issues have been fixed with the latest update - I guess I might be lucky based upon some other's experiences

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I only have one issue with mail which is freezing of mail app by pressing on notification banners. Do you guys have those banner disabled? Or you don't have that bug? Because i can see this bug on all my devices in the house.
Oh yeah.. it happens with exchange and outlook accounts.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I only have one issue with mail which is freezing of mail app by pressing on notification banners. Do you guys have those banner disabled? Or you don't have that bug? Because i can see this bug on all my devices in the house.
Oh yeah.. it happens with exchange and outlook accounts.

My mail banners are set to notify.

iMacGuru

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Miami
Mail app seems to be a problem on my iPad (Mini 4) but not on my iPhone XR. I use Gmail as my email server. My iPhone updates the mail but the iPad says "updated now" but no new emails are shown. I've unhappily resorted to Gmail app on my iPad. So much for fixing bugs.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
When you press on the banners for new mail, does your mail app freezes for 3-4 secs? And which accounts are you using?

I’m not getting banners as the mails aren’t showing up until I refresh in the mail app. No dings either when they do download.

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Tried fixing Mail issues by removing accounts and reinstalling the app but now I don’t receive new mail and notifications until I open the app. So bad became worse.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Same here, I didn't have n issue with 13.1.3 but with 13.2.2 today I was thinking I got no mail, then I refreshed manually, I found 6 emails!

Yeah, I get this and even manual refresh doesn't work sometimes - I have to change folders from Inbox to something else and on returning to Inbox I'll see new messages. I'm seeing this on multiple devices.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Not seeing any HUGE issues in this release either. Yes the it shows a new mail and you have to pull to refresh or back out to the main view and back to inbox to get the new email to show. But that is a relatively minor inconvenience in the grand scheme.

Im getting all of the notifications and Exchange mail is pushing. Not saying others arent having more major bugs but Im not seeing it either anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.