Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Yeah, I've always manually refreshed mail. On my Android phones, and back on my 1st gen iPod Touch. Didn't know people didn't want to pull to refresh lol

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I performed a clean installation of ios 13 when it was originally released and since then when i check the mail app on a couple of devices they report: gmail account error details, outlook account error details randomly, pretty annoying.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I am having the opposite issue from a lot of folks here. On iPadOS 13.2.3 I am getting emails automatically even though I fetch set to manual and push set to off. These are for 2 POP accounts. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
138534EB-0CC4-4632-9046-EC3C6AE6326E.jpeg

I’ve been getting this now and then since day one of iOS 13. I’m on the latest iOS 13 version and the issue still persists. It takes awhile for it to show “check for mail”, or I can manually pull the page down to trigger the “checking for mail” message before all my new mails pop out.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
This e-mail bug is stupid. I only have my iCloud e-mail in Mail.app now, I finally had to move my work e-mail (exchange) to Outlook because of this issue. I'll show 5+ e-mails unread, open my mail....nothing.

I have to either sit there and wait at least a minute for them to either download/show, or simply toggle the unread/read filter to get e-mails to show.

Between the "No Sender" bug in 13.0 and this mail-is-there-but-not-there bug, I'm struggling to maintain simple patience with iOS 13.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Good point, their software should work. But, when it doesn't I could either sit and fume over it or find a workaround. Only one of those options is actually productive.

This is a very good reason for keeping a backup email service for those "just in case" moments.

Actually, I would either switch cars or walk. It's not the end of the world.

Never give anything in life enough power to keep you from succeeding.
Or Apple could fix mail. If they are capable of it at this point

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Anyone else find it impossible to get mail previews on the lock screen? For me 3D touching a notification causes an endless loading spinner but if I tap into the mail app the message loads immediately.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Apple clearly is no idea how to fix mail. Or they just don’t care
So, you've spoken to all of the engineers at Apple and this is the conclusion you've reached? Your perspective is not the only one, and likely not the correct one. Seeing through negativity and blame will always end in error. Patience is a virtue.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
So, you've spoken to all of the engineers at Apple and this is the conclusion you've reached? Your perspective is not the only one, and likely not the correct one. Seeing through negativity and blame will always end in error. Patience is a virtue.
Ah. It’s been how long since they broke email. I’m clearly not the only one who thinks this. Apple has lost focus on some things. It’s not hard to see this if you are willing to look and not just blindly defend.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
View attachment 879460
I’ve been getting this now and then since day one of iOS 13. I’m on the latest iOS 13 version and the issue still persists. It takes awhile for it to show “check for mail”, or I can manually pull the page down to trigger the “checking for mail” message before all my new mails pop out.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I do sir this is exactly the same issue i'm having on 3 devices since day one when ios 13.0 was released and clean installed.

Now i'm asking if i should clean reinstall again ios 13.3 when it gets released...sigh....

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Interesting thing happening right now for me. My wife, who is on my iCloud VIP, forwarded and email to me and I received notification and push. I had her send me a second email to verify and it worked as well (although hasn’t until now).

Had my father send me an email (not on VIP list , don’t judge me lol) and I had to physically check for the mail after waiting 3 minutes. I add him to my VIP and ask for a new email and then it pushes through and notifies.

All of the other incoming mails today not from VIP I have had to physically refresh to receive without notification as well. FYI. I’m sure it will change again.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
The ball is in Apple’s court. But they do not know how to fix the problem. They will not fix it because they cannot yet. They might yet—but they are not capable of it now.

It really does anger me. I’m fine with the apologists on this forum; I’ve been using this platform since the 80s, and I can identify with that sort of blind devotion—I use Apple products because they work well. A seamless blend of hardware and software.

But this a serious problem that they refuse to acknowledge. Why? Because they do not yet know how to fix it.

Transparency from Apple would be a nice step toward reconciliation with its users, old and new.

Stop deleting the Mail app. Stop disabling/enabling/re-adding your mail accounts. Apple done ****** up. It’s time they fix it.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Latest iOS update fixed all of my email problems (13.2.3). Was able to bin the outlook app and move my 5 exchange accounts back to mail.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
My notifications come through but in Exchange (my work email) I have to delete every email twice, and I have to manually refresh the mailbox to make the notification dot go away. So annoying.

the need to delete mail twice sounds like it could be caused by a conflict in yr settings.
for example, in one place you have it set to put deleted email into a Deleted Items folder on the server, but somewhere else you have a conflicting setting that sets deleted email to be put into Trash on yr local device.

JamJamlux

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2019
I have the same problem. And now i find the solution:
- Delete all your email acounts from the mail app.
- After this, create a Backup.
- Than Reset your iphone and restart it.
- the final step is to configure your mail on the mail app and after this it's work perfect.

Now my notifications works fine.
For gmail user, is the best to use Exchange. On server insert m.google.com

Don't forget to turn on the notification for all emails

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I have the same problem. And now i find the solution:
- Delete all your email acounts from the mail app.
- After this, create a Backup.
- Than Reset your iphone and restart it.
- the final step is to configure your mail on the mail app and after this it's work perfect.

Now my notifications works fine.
For gmail user, is the best to use Exchange. On server insert m.google.com

Don't forget to turn on the notification for all emails
Have you checked that after doing all this, your email (exchange account) does not freeze you press on banners for new mail? and it takes you to the actual message instead of taking you to 'all inboxes'?

JamJamlux

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2019
Have you checked that after doing all this, your email (exchange account) does not freeze you press on banners for new mail? and it takes you to the actual message instead of taking you to 'all inboxes'?

Yes it works fine now, and it doesen't freeze and it takes me to the actual message.

tspear8183

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
Yes it works fine now, and it doesen't freeze and it takes me to the actual message.

I did these exact same steps over the weekend and all the mail issues I had still persist. Specifically the problem where the messages aren’t downloaded upon launching the mail app after receiving a notification. FYI.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I actually did a clean install of ios then installed the public beta but no luck for me. I have outlook.com and office 365 accounts.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The mail app is absolute garbage. My outlook mail won’t even work at all. Just stays stuck at “Checking for mail” and then I get an account error. Apple is such a joke. It’s absurd they can’t fix this issue
Have you tried setting it up again. Mine works OK

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I logged out of iCloud and back in and the Mail app seems to work correctly now. I sent myself a test email and it promptly loaded with the preview lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.