Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

licooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Hi everyone, can someone explain what monitor do you need to buy to use as external monitor for my macbook pro late 2013 AND get a good sharpness of the picture?

I got one monitor today (LG 4k 27'’), but if I choose 2560x1440 resolution it says “low resolution” and the picture is blurry and not sharp (although amount of space is perfect). if I choose 3840x2160 the sharpness of picture is better but everything is so so small. I read on it online (and on this forum including) and I understand why this is happening, but I don’t understand what should I do at this point to get a good picture and a good amount of desktop real estate on a 27'' monitor?

I guess the general idea is to either get over it and stick with 1080 or 1440 OR wait for 5k 27'' monitors to come out (although I'm not sure how 5k monitors will be able to help here since the picture will be even smaller then on 2160.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.