Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VerizonLover

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Self explanatory. As of 10.14, the followng software seems to have been abandoned by its developer:
  • Hard Disk Manager by Paragon Software (still lists product as "new")
  • DiskWarrior by Alsoft (haven't heard a peep about the v6 rewrite in eons)
  • Cardsmith by Ohanaware (developer is mute)
The first two are mostly because Apple is being hostile toward developers, not releasing adequete documentation.

I mean, just look at how much (still relevevent) dcoumentation is now archived. :(

Having to resort to using Disk Utility to make dmg backups is an ugly kludge...

Anybody else have any other software gripes to add?

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
I have been buying the upgrades to DiskWarrior for years. I ran it ounce a month. I have been watching the Alsoft web page for updates. There has been no news or changes for quite some time. So my guess is, Apple is never going to allow anyone including DiskWarrior to repair APFS disks. However DW still works great and I used it yesterday to repair an old IMac with a HD. Disk Warrior found and corrected a lot of directory errors. So good job - Alsoft.

Last edited:

HappyInAustralia

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2019
Australia
Mojave really screwed around with a lot of tools that needed full system access, were command line only generally, and generally also accessed areas of the systems and functions that Apple wouldn't take too kindly with. Things like nmap and Zenmap, Wireshark, Ettercap, testdisk and photorec, etc. Went back to High Sierra within a week

HappyInAustralia

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2019
Australia
What with respect to Wireshark doesn't work on Mojave or Catalina? I didn't play with it a lot, but it seems to run as expected on the latest Catalina beta.
Nmap (Zenmap rather) is the worse offender, cannot reliably launch each time either from the gui, command line, root or otherwise. Seems to return less results, but I do need to refine it (and Wireshark a little). What version of WS are you using?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
With modern file systems like APFS, I wonder what circumstances DiskWarrior would be useful.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
You may have a point.

No snark here; I mean this: But the pain of losing an old helpful friend, or having to change your habits, is so hard for most people. I see it all the time in my work.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I agree with you. DiskWarrior was not only useful, but necessary with classic macOS. Then it came OS X with HFS+, but the introduction of journaling and automatic defragmentation made it less useful. Now I really know what it’s good for. But I do appreciate the programmers who created it and the its underlying technology. It’s one of a kind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.