Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Hi,

I have two different movies I want to do a mashup of, and I am looking for software to do the job.

What I am looking for is the ability to cut up the two movies into smaller parts, and stitch them together to make a new combined movie. I require being able to select the cuts on a per frame basis, and would also need to be able to cut the audio tracks up in a similar manner and swap them around.

I tried iMovie, but that seems to be made for small video clips only, and not for working with full 1+ hour movies, as precision work is impossible, and moving snippets of a movie seemed like something iMovie didn't want to do for whatever reason. Maybe iMovie just doesn't work as I expect it to?

Any suggestions? I'd prefer something cheap as this is a small hobby thing, so Final Cut Pro is out of the question. :)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have not used Adobe Premier Elements, but it might do the trick... it lists for about $90, but can be had for about half of that on Amazon or by shopping around.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
You can also look into Davinci Resolve (free version available), I haven't used it extensively myself but supposedly it's getting better as a non-linear editor with every release.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah, you need to expand (magnify "+" ) the timeline in iMovie to have more precision for selecting segments to add to the movie you are trying to create. I use FCPx which is ideal for this, but thats not in your budget.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
You should be able to use iMovie - I've certainly used it to edit long (60 min) movies. The Precision Editor as mentioned above seems kludgy to work with. I've moved on from it to FCPX. Resolve should work nicely, too. The free version is quite capable. A little bit of a leraning curve to get started though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.