Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Has anyone tried the new Sonnet Solo10G PCIe card?

The 5 Amazon reviews are all negative (1 or 2 stars) due to reliability or performance issues...

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
I've tested it in a MacPro4,1 (flashed to MacPro5,1) and a Thunderbolt enclosure. Worked like a charm out of the box.
I couldn't test beyond 500MB/s due to not having the necessary counterparts. I've noticed no reliability issues whatsoever, but hadn't run it for weeks.

Reactions: crjackson2134

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I’m currently returning a defective card for replacement.

Card would not produce 10g speeds, and working router/cables never indicated such connection. was limited to under 10mb/s. Unplugging cable produced no connection until reboot. Bizarre behavior. Couldn’t even get gigabit connectivity. I’ll report back if manufacturer replacement is any better..

Last edited:

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
This is one of the responses I received:

"There were issues with the card - especially with classic Mac Pro Tower users and Sonnet pulled the current stock pending a re-work last month (late Sept. 2018). They now have new cards with a serial number beginning with 'B' (so they are Rev. B). This is information from Sonnet Support. I hope to see more positive reviews coming in pending their re-work was successful."

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
This is one of the responses I received:

"There were issues with the card - especially with classic Mac Pro Tower users and Sonnet pulled the current stock pending a re-work last month (late Sept. 2018). They now have new cards with a serial number beginning with 'B' (so they are Rev. B). This is information from Sonnet Support. I hope to see more positive reviews coming in pending their re-work was successful."

I'll be waiting with bated breath to see if my replacement has a B on it. Thank you for sharing this, Auggie.

Reactions: crjackson2134

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Sonnet shipped a replacement card today, it indeed has a "B" serial as @Auggie reported. Card worked instantly and recognized 10G from router. File transfer and tests to raid server were nearly as fast as devices connected via optical thunderbolt to same network. Pretty great product. Hopefully it stays working. Thanks for the heads up Auggie!

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Yea, I'll be switching to 10G real soon. My new NAS build has 10G and is almost ready to be brought online.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Sonnet shipped a replacement card today, it indeed has a "B" serial as @Auggie reported. Card worked instantly and recognized 10G from router.

Hi. Curious if you still have this setup and if it is still working well with the Sonnet Solo 10G PCie? Recently upgraded my Synology NAS which has 10 gigabit capability, and looking to upgrade to 10G speeds on my Mid 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 as well. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.