Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Should I buy a backup Sony Camcorder? Best Buy only sells (1) model $500 or under. B&H however has like 7 but I imagine both will decline or eliminate the camcorder line soon. Camcorders are dying to Phones, Go Pros, and SLR’s. I however prefer a camcorder so tell me how does Sony compare to Canon? I see one advantage is that this Sony can shoot stills at 9MP while my Vixia is 2MP.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I think it depends on what your needs are. It's really down to if/why you need a camcorder form factor for $500 vs. a solid Mirorless camera like the Canon M50. There is only one reason camcorders have not been replaced completely and that is if you need/want something with a crazy long 32 to 48x zoom range that many camcorders have. You will not find a lens for a dslr/mirrorless camera that has an equivalent 25-700mm zoom range.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I think it depends on what your needs are. It's really down to if/why you need a camcorder form factor for $500 vs. a solid Mirorless camera like the Canon M50. There is only one reason camcorders have not been replaced completely and that is if you need/want something with a crazy long 32 to 48x zoom range that many camcorders have. You will not find a lens for a dslr/mirrorless camera that has an equivalent 25-700mm zoom range.
I can’t afford a Canon M50. Besides I have a Canon Powershot anyways. This Sony is far cheaper. What’s the difference between Sony and Canon Camcorders?

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
They're probably not different beyond button and menu layout. There hasn't been much differentiation between different brands of camcorders in a long time, since at least HD became standard. They all do HD (maybe some 4k now), they all use small sensors so it looks about the same, the probably all have comparable zoom ranges. Pick by price, how it looks, how it feels in your hand, whatever makes the most sense to you.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
If all things are equal (lens quality & speed, non-digital zoom, storage media, output format, resolution & filetypes), go try them both, in person. Compare their ergonomics, button placement, menus, etc. One may feel better to you on an intuitive level. Go with that one. Because both Canon and Sony produce very good consumer level machines.

I have a Sony mirrorless camera that I hardly ever use, because I detest the menu and buttons. So more than anything else, this kind of quality can make the difference between whether you enjoy using your camcorder or not.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
If all things are equal (lens quality & speed, non-digital zoom, storage media, output format, resolution & filetypes), go try them both, in person. Compare their ergonomics, button placement, menus, etc. One may feel better to you on an intuitive level. Go with that one. Because both Canon and Sony produce very good consumer level machines.

I have a Sony mirrorless camera that I hardly ever use, because I detest the menu and buttons. So more than anything else, this kind of quality can make the difference between whether you enjoy using your camcorder or not.
Yeah I think Canon has discontinued their $500 and under camcorder line. So when my Vixia breaks I may have no choice but Sony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.