Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
For those confused why their TV is not getting the update, this update only works on Sony TVs with the X1 Ultimate chipset. That's why last year's A9F is getting it but not this year's A8G.

At any rate, I agree with those above. Just use an Apple TV (or any external streaming box) over the built in smart OS. I use an Apple TV with my A9F and a Fire TV 4K with my LG B6 and would never go back to the built in apps. They lack features and are not supported well. Not to mention the security risks of storing all of your login credentials on it.

Don't they have weaker processors though?
[automerge]1575397759[/automerge]

How do you not see how a dedicated hardware device would be more capable than the menu of your display?

The XF90/X9000f has the same X1 Ultimate chipset

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xf9005-series

sidepartings26

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Can you Airplay 2 in 4K though? Example, to make up for the fact the Apple TV app is not out yet and status has been changed from end of year to “in the future”.

If Airplay 2 is limited to 1080p like Airplay 1 then yeh, may as well accept an Apple TV 4K is needed...

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
**Some people want this update for HomeKit support and not just Airplay 2.** I'm excited to include my TV in HomeKit scenes.

The questions about privacy are notable but from my experience you can't get software updates on Sony TVs without agreeing to their data clause. [BUMMER]

Reactions: Janschi

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Can you Airplay 2 in 4K though? Example, to make up for the fact the Apple TV app is not out yet and status has been changed from end of year to “in the future”.

If Airplay 2 is limited to 1080p like Airplay 1 then yeh, may as well accept an Apple TV 4K is needed...
It depends. Streaming 4K HDR UHD from:
  • Amazon Prime Video: Launches Amazon Prime Video webOS app
  • Apple TV+: Dolby Vision 4K
  • Disney+: Launches Disney+ webOS app
  • iTunes purchases: Dolby Vision 4K
  • Ripped contents: I get format not supported error
  • YouTube: Launches YouTube webOS app

sidepartings26

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
It depends. Streaming 4K HDR UHD from:
  • Amazon Prime Video: Launches Amazon Prime Video webOS app
  • Apple TV+: Dolby Vision 4K
  • Disney+: Launches Disney+ webOS app
  • iTunes purchases: Dolby Vision 4K
  • Ripped contents: I get format not supported error
  • YouTube: Launches YouTube webOS app
At least getting 4K with the Apple apps then? Would be interested in NowTV as android TV has apps for the others (not sure about Disney as don’t use)

Karmanerds

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2016
I have the 65X950G and the update is not out yet. When I purchased it, I was told that it would support Airplay, and was surprised when it didn't. Hopefully, it will be out soon.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
At least getting 4K with the Apple apps then? Would be interested in NowTV as android TV has apps for the others (not sure about Disney as don’t use)
Yup, I am definitely getting full 4K HDR experience with Apple TV+ and iTunes purchases and rentals, at least on LG B9 (webOS).

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I have the 65X950G and the update is not out yet. When I purchased it, I was told that it would support Airplay, and was surprised when it didn't. Hopefully, it will be out soon.

Yea, I checked tonight and no joy. Must be a phased rollout.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
My A9F doesn't see the update yet...is there a link to download to force the update?

found link...update not listed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.18.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.18.06 PM.png
    810.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Nice ?
Hope they keep this standard. I’m eyeing Sony TV for my next purchase.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Holding out for the A8F update then. Runs the same software as the A9F and came out in the same year here in Australia

unfortunately the A8F had an update a few days ago and doesn’t include any of these new features. Hardware wise it’s different to the A9F / A9G.
[automerge]1575433818[/automerge]
I bought the same XBR 900 F
Obviously the F is a meaningful letter here. They should name it the XBR 900 FU
Evidentially 1800.00 for a tv isn’t enough for any future proofing. Realistically my Apple 4K does a better job than Sony’s crap software would do anyway.
while I’m on this thread I would like to also mention that Sony’s hdmi Dolby digital handshake has serious issues with my Apple TV.
It will work and then all of the sudden I get flickering. I’ve purchased HDMI cables that are very expensive and support the highest GBS . Anybody know why this is happening?
It’s typically while trying to run Dolby Vision at 60 hz

I had the handshake problem on various expensive cables with my ATV and Sony AF9 until I bought the Belkin one from the Apple store. Job done. Haven’t had an issue since.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
So LG, this is why I’ll be buying from a different brand next time. Can’t even support one year back.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I bought the same XBR 900 F
Obviously the F is a meaningful letter here. They should name it the XBR 900 FU
Evidentially 1800.00 for a tv isn’t enough for any future proofing. Realistically my Apple 4K does a better job than Sony’s crap software would do anyway.
while I’m on this thread I would like to also mention that Sony’s hdmi Dolby digital handshake has serious issues with my Apple TV.
It will work and then all of the sudden I get flickering. I’ve purchased HDMI cables that are very expensive and support the highest GBS . Anybody know why this is happening?
It’s typically while trying to run Dolby Vision at 60 hz

I have an Apple TV 4K and Sony X900F. Never had a single problem with Dolby Vision or flickering. Must be bad HDMI cables or you got a defective X900F.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
So LG, this is why I’ll be buying from a different brand next time. Can’t even support one year back.
Bought a very well reviewed FALD LG LED tv a few years ago and all the HDMI ports stopped worked just out of warranty rendering the TV virtually useless. I'll never buy another LG TV ever again no matter how good the reviewers say it is when new and the main reason why I'm avoiding OLED TV as LG make all the panels.

sidepartings26

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Yup, I am definitely getting full 4K HDR experience with Apple TV+ and iTunes purchases and rentals, at least on LG B9 (webOS).
Does the LG have the Apple TV+ app on the TV though so it’s just downloading content from the sever or is it literally casting 4K?

PS I’m in the UK XG95 and the update is not live yet.

From this page Sony TVs are not listed for the app or AirPlay 2, weird:

https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-tv-app/devices/

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Sold my kidney for the 2019 model, Sony Oled tv 65A8G. It was much pricier than the comparable LG 65C9 and with it's futureproof features (HMDI 2.1, VRR, ALLM, eARC) but due to better motion handling I went for the Sony.
So, only after a few months on the market, this tv won't get the newest updates and features? If so, guess what finger I'm pointing up at you Sony.

Yea I feel sorry for you, the A8G was not going to get an update though. What is annoying is that we bought an A9G because Sony said 2019 models only... we could have bought an A9F $1000 cheaper if we knew that 2018 models would be supported. Oh well hah.

Just get an Apple TV 4K. The bonus is that you'll have true 4K, because the Android TV user interface is 1080p only.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Notice that link says coming soon for LG etc whereas Sony has disappeared from there.
Whereas, the US equivalent page https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/ does show Sony.

Better not be screwing us over in Europe!
I contacted Sony support in Spain. They told me they’re working on it, but couldn’t (or wouldn’t) provide a date. At least it seems it’s coming.

If the firmware is ready for american customers, I don’t know what needs to be done, though. Release it already!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So I go though all the PITA to manually update my Sony 950G (one thing I wanted to do was stream some non-DRM MP4 video quickly from the TV App on an iPhone).

"This video is in a format not compatible with your TV."

Queue Apple's 8,000 restrictions.

Black Diesel

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Too bad you can't send audio from the TV out to external speakers or an airport express...this would make for a whole house audio setup to select different rooms/zones of audio from the Sony TV via Airplay 2.

HAIRYSPLEEN

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2016
Maybe the A8F will get the update:

According to tech radar

The best Sony TVs just got better, with a new firmware update to a number of premium 2018 and 2019 Sony TV models bringing some key format support.

Anyone with the Sony A8F or Z9F OLEDs (from 2018) or the A9G, Z9G, X950G, and X850G models (from 2019) will be getting support for AirPlay 2, for casting from iOS devices, and Apple HomeKit support, which lets you connect your TV to Apple-made smart home devices or use your iPhone or iPad as a remote.

I can't find the original Sony press release to verify the models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.