Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Anyone have any idea what causes this?! I'll notice the balance is completely wrong and go into settings and it's shifted
jk7FsIu.png
to one side.

robbob2b

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
I am having the same issue. When I found out, I set the balance in the middle, and then, after a couple of days the balance in my sound preferences had again gone completely to one side (in my case: the right).
This should not happen.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i've had this issue before as well. it hasn't happened to me the past few months, but i'm probably jinxing myself saying that. at one point i thought it was the result of trying to adjust the volume too quickly after plugging in headphones, but i don't seem to be able to replicate it doing that right now.

anyway, when i do a search online, it seems like people have been reporting this problem all the way back to panther, so it apparently isn't on apple's priority list... :/

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
This has been happening for a looooong time, as the poster above said.

So far, it seems like a bug Apple will never fix.

Larsonator

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Anyone have any idea what causes this?! I'll notice the balance is completely wrong and go into settings and it's shifted Image to one side.

Go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup

Select your output device on the left and make sure both Channel 1 and Channel 2 have the same dB values.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Really weird. Been noticing it for a while. Hasn't seemed to be that bad since I fixed it that post, though!

milkybrainuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
UK
Yeah I just noticed the issue again in 10.9.2. I swear this has been an issue for a few version of OSX. Unless is some sort of keyboard shortcut that i press now and again. Or maybe VLC somehow.

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
Clean Yosemite install. Same problem.
I've noticed that this happen only when I plug in my speakers..

JmJ17

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
I have this problem too with Yosemite 10.10 and with 10.10.1.

It occurs each time I reboot o switch on the computer (Mac Mini)

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
Haha this is still happening on one of my old eMacs sometimes! It has 10.4 installed! But it hasn't happened for a while now anymore, I should try to figure out what I've changed.

I have never had this issue on newer Macs, such as my iMac (mid 2011, OSX Lion - Mountain Lion - Mavericks) or my Mac Pro (mid 2010 - OSX Mavericks).

Karffe

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Haha this is still happening on one of my old eMacs sometimes! It has 10.4 installed! But it hasn't happened for a while now anymore, I should try to figure out what I've changed.

I have never had this issue on newer Macs, such as my iMac (mid 2011, OSX Lion - Mountain Lion - Mavericks) or my Mac Pro (mid 2010 - OSX Mavericks).

This is very weird behavior because i have iMac 2012 and newest Mac OS X Yosemite

And anyway there is more than this one bug which makes my workplace very unused...

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
This is very weird behavior because i have iMac 2012 and newest Mac OS X Yosemite

And anyway there is more than this one bug which makes my workplace very unused...

Yeah I understand that. But to be honest, if you're using your iMac professionally, you shouldn't have updated to Yosemite in the first place. It probably hasn't to do with that, but Yosemite is full of bugs and full of crap, and most Pros have kept their fingers away from it. Only crazy Apple bootlickers have installed this on their Mac.
So even though this also happens on other systems, an OS like Yosemite can't make it better, it can just make it worse really!

lungtroll

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2015
Sound Balance on OSX 10.9 going off occasionally

This is happening to me and it appears with my mac mini every time I turn it on the balance goes to the right, tested a dozen times and this seems, well for me is the reason.

If I am deluding myself as quite old now please offer some advise.

PRD725

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
yosemite sound balance changes on its own

I just noticed this problem a couple of weeks ago. Adjust it back in preferrences and a few days changes on its own again.

andy.senn

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Eau Claire, WI
I never had this problem until I upgraded to 10.10.2. Now, any time I connect headphones or an external display that supports audio (DP, HDMI), the audio pans all the way to the right. I don't think it has worked properly once since I upgraded. It's a bummer to hear that this has been around for so long. It may not be very common, but for those of us who do experience it, it's a real headache. :(

Wafflefruit

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Having this problem too. Any solutions yet?
Has anyone reported this bug to apple?

----------

Found this on another thread. Too soon to say if it works, but you can all try it.
Go to VoiceOver Utility (just do a spotlight search), click sound, and UNCHECK "enable positional audio". It was checked for me before.

Hope this helps!

6bv35Yx.png

Reactions: random-uk

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
2014 Mac Pro with Yosemite--both audio outputs (speakers and headphones) have this problem. (And I think they did under Mavericks too.)

Amazing to think it may have started in Jaguar! Sounds like it ought to have been easy to fix.

rockdirector

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
Bumpity bump... same issue, Mac Mini 2012, Yosemite 10.10.2 -- I was about to climb behind the desk and rewire my monitors, occamizing that the balance was off to my powered Tannoys thanks to suboptimal 1/8" mini connections required by my Belkin KVM.

On a whim I went online to research the problem and realized the balance values were off. Set it back to centre, but barely a week later it's reverted back to Ch. 1: 0.16 Ch. 2: 0.254. This isn't my audio workstation, just a server that has my iTunes library, but still, WTF is up with Apple lately?

----------

Just changed the VoiceOver settings... let y'all know if it solves the issue here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.