Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ren911

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Software glitch, as I had the same issue on my iPhone 11 before I exchanged it for an 11 Pro
but if this was a software glitch then wouldn’t be more common on iPhones using the same software?? Thanks

adam20011125

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Yes its a glitch. I bought Last week iPhone 11 and I have to this issue I think it’s a iOS issue, maybe apple corp repair them.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
For anyone else coming across this looking for a fix in the future -- a DFU (not "just" recovery mode, but actual DFU) restore did not fix this.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wait, people leave keyboard clicks on?
Never seemed so loud on other iPhones but was too loud on 11ProMax. Wish there was an actual way to just turn them down.
[automerge]1575662937[/automerge]
I always wonder how many volumes there actually are. I definitely know there are secret ones for some navigation apps that I can only adjust while they are speaking. Wish the sounds settings section would show every volume slider and what they affect.

Last edited:

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
this is apple’s way of telling you that phones making noises like tamagochi are a bad, annoying thing. it belongs in the 90s

get a wearable and get over this nonsense.

so accept a defective phone and then give Apple more money for a workaround. Wow

Vlad Roset

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Extremely annoying problem. Some Googling shows similar issues across multiple iOS versions. Never experienced by me until 13 and now 13.1.

Problem: while typing, keyboard clicks literally vary in sound up and down. If starting low, will be louder by the end of the sentence. Text message, email, and phone call alert sounds have variable volume as well.

Things not affecting the issue or not helping:
- Speaker grilles not covered by fingers;
- Is regardless of "change with buttons" volume setting;
- Not fixed with restarts or hard reset;
- No volume settings anywhere changed between noticing different volume between keyboard clicks or any given alert;
- This iPhone 11 Pro was set up as new.

Playing music functions as expected.

Cannot yet identify how to reliably reproduce. Am typing this on phone, and the keyboard click volume was quiet at the start of this sentence and is noticeably louder by mid-sentence.

Could turn off keyboard clicks, which doesn't address the problem, as the issue is also that not even alert sounds are at consistent volume. One text notification sound will be loud; the other, 50% that. Incoming phone calls ring at different volumes without me changing anything.

Any troubleshooting or fix suggestions welcome. Very irritating problem.

i have the same problem guys. i tried everything i could find online, nothing knows.. do youguys have any ideeas on how to fix this iseue? rhanks..

AplHlp

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
Extremely annoying problem. Some Googling shows similar issues across multiple iOS versions. Never experienced by me until 13 and now 13.1.

Problem: while typing, keyboard clicks literally vary in sound up and down. If starting low, will be louder by the end of the sentence. Text message, email, and phone call alert sounds have variable volume as well.

Things not affecting the issue or not helping:
- Speaker grilles not covered by fingers;
- Is regardless of "change with buttons" volume setting;
- Not fixed with restarts or hard reset;
- No volume settings anywhere changed between noticing different volume between keyboard clicks or any given alert;
- This iPhone 11 Pro was set up as new.

Playing music functions as expected.

Cannot yet identify how to reliably reproduce. Am typing this on phone, and the keyboard click volume was quiet at the start of this sentence and is noticeably louder by mid-sentence.

Could turn off keyboard clicks, which doesn't address the problem, as the issue is also that not even alert sounds are at consistent volume. One text notification sound will be loud; the other, 50% that. Incoming phone calls ring at different volumes without me changing anything.

Any troubleshooting or fix suggestions welcome. Very irritating problem.
[automerge]1577810112[/automerge]
Thanks exi, this post at least provides a work-around...

Although this problem started with iOS 13 versions, it only seems to occur when Keyboard Clicks are enabled / turned on AND my Bluetooth headset/earpiece is connected.

After a couple of short tests, the issues appears to go away when Keyboard Clicks are disabled / turned off. This is with my Bluetooth headset attached and typing in notes.

Turn Keyboard Clicks back on and the problem immediately returns.

This is on a new iPhone 7, now up to iOS 13.3.

Last edited:

tori0427

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
I saw this a long time ago on older versions of iPhone and I’ve noticed it to be somewhat true. If you have the Facebook app on your phone and the app is “open” then it can cause your keyboard click volume to fluctuate. I thought it was a lie so I tested it and I’ve noticed over the last few years that my key volume coincidentally only fluctuates when the app hasn’t been closed.

muhle

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2014
Has anyone tried this step? If so, has it solved the issue?

• Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
  • Tap on General.
  • Tap on Reset, you'll have to scroll all the way to the bottom.
  • Tap on Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
  • Type in your password when prompted. You'll only get this step if you have a password enabled.
  • Tap on Reset Dictionary to confirm you'd like to reset the keyboard dictionary.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Sorry for bringing this old post up but I’m having the same problem, did you find any solution?

Nope. Seems to be a thing, I guess. Occurred during setup (as new) of an iPhone 12 Pro out of the box today.

Puzzleheaded

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
Wow! this is so strange. I’ve received my iPhone 12 pro yesterday and it has exactly the same problem!
I also tried iTunes restore then setting it as new but it didn’t help, the lock sound is quiet as well and it gets louder if you lock it right after typing.
Apple support advisors seem to have no idea of this glitch.
I thought it might be a hardware problem but I saw many people have the same issue, it’s not that big of a deal but once you notice it you can’t go back to your normal life and it’s driving me crazy lol

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Having these issues too on my iPhone 12 Pro... Maybe I just take mu phone to the service after I have time

it weird that media: YouTube, music, podcasts works just fine, or atleast I don’t hear any sound problems...

byrds6

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
My 12 Pro Max has notifications, alarms, keyboard clicks etc lower than my old XS Max. I found that if you go to the EQ in music and select Late Night, it makes the notifications and such normal volume.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
My 12 Pro Max has notifications, alarms, keyboard clicks etc lower than my old XS Max. I found that if you go to the EQ in music and select Late Night, it makes the notifications and such normal volume.
Okay, maybe I will test that too. ?

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Has anyone tried restoring their phone and set is as new? I wonder if that could help? I can't remember if this problem (keyboard sound / lock sound) was in my phone right after I took it out of the box. I didn't restore from backup. I did set my iPhone 12 Pro as new so I not keen to doing that again... It takes so much time to install all apps as set up stuff even though iCloud restores app data and stuff... But if someone has done it (restore and set up as new) and it have fixed these keyboard sound fluctuation and lock sound issues I'm also ready to try. ?

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
And iOS 14.2.1 didn’t fix this keyboard issue. Now that I started to write this keyboard volume was low and it the gradually rise to the level where it should be (I think).

I will take my phone to the service monday as my Xs Max or my girlfriend’s Xr doesn’t have this problem.

NatureHQ

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Hi guys. I have a similar issue on my iPhone XS Max, running iOS 14.2.

Most of the time when I start typing, there’s one super loud keyboard click that is followed by the click sounds at a normal volume. This is so annoying.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys. I have a similar issue on my iPhone XS Max, running iOS 14.2.

Most of the time when I start typing, there’s one super loud keyboard click that is followed by the click sounds at a normal volume. This is so annoying.
Have you had this problem always? Or did it come after installing some update etc?

I took my 12 Pro to the Service and response was this is software problem which will hopefully get fixed in future updates...

Kevincjz

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2018
Hi guys - just solved this issue by checking this setting on! Hope it helps!!

7D74524B-5F3A-45FD-AD2B-6F995DA8AD1B.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.