Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I have Space Grey watches right now (Series 4 & Nike Series 3).

Mine came with the Black Sport band & Black Nike Sport band. I think these go pretty well with it.

The only other band I've bought is the Ultraviolet Sport Band. I love it, purple is my favorite color in general anyway. I get comments all the time, with the matching (but beat up now) iPhone X case. I'll include some pics as I wear them.

What other colors/combos work well with Space Grey?

I'd assume the darker colors would go well, how do light ones?

I expect these would look good, any pics?
Space Black Milanese Loop
Blue Horizon
PRODUCT (RED) - 2nd generation (darker) or 3rd (lighter)?
Nike Pure Platinum/White
Indigo Sport Loop
Royal Blue
[doublepost=1538321109][/doublepost]These are with Black Stainless Steel, but I assume it looks similar enough to Space Grey?

There's others, but I thought these 2 stood out.

Red
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lotzosushi/21774611018/in/photostream/

Blue
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lotzosushi/21936281656/in/photostream/

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
Here's mine with Pure Platinum / White band... I liked how the NikeLab looked so this is my daily wear
20ft9jr.jpg

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Surprisingly a lot of bands go great with it. I think I have over 30 now. Some we didn't think would go too well actually work out quite nice, like some of the brighter colored sport bands.

And oddly, if you can get the grey leather watch band off ebay or similar (I think it has been discontinued) it goes quite well.

My favorite though is not even an apple OEM band but a third party band that is black leather with space grey hardware. I have two, a cheap one off ebay and Lucrin's (not cheap, lol). Looks very nice with the all black or near black color scheme.

Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Surprisingly a lot of bands go great with it. I think I have over 30 now. Some we didn't think would go too well actually work out quite nice, like some of the brighter colored sport bands.

And oddly, if you can get the grey leather watch band off ebay or similar (I think it has been discontinued) it goes quite well.

My favorite though is not even an apple OEM band but a third party band that is black leather with space grey hardware. I have two, a cheap one off ebay and Lucrin's (not cheap, lol). Looks very nice with the all black or near black color scheme.

I'd love to see pics on the watch of some of the ones you didn't expect to look as good, especially the colored sport bands.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I'll try tomorrow. I usually switch every day anyway.

Thanks! I'm taking pictures of my 6 Sport Bands on my wrist to post here.

I'm still on the fence about getting a Sport Loop (Indigo) or Space Black Milanese Loop - I don't have any other types than the fluoroelastomer Sport Bands.

I'm in Florida so it's the Loops (Sport or Milanese) are cooler, that would be plus.

I also wear my watch overnight, and usually have the sport bands tighter during the day, then looser at night. Since both Loops are micro adjustable, that might be kinda nice?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I find a lot of the bolder colors of Sport Bands go really well with the Space Gray watches. Pastels work too. The very light / nearly white colors (like Turquoise, Sky Blue, etc.) tend to lose out - their subtle colors, up against the stark contrast of the space gray watch, get washed out, and look like odd shades of off-white. They probably work better with the silver watch (or as room colors). But maybe that's mostly my personal preference showing. One of the other factors I run into is, it doesn't just have to look good on the watch, it has to look good (for some value of good) against my skin. I've rejected a few colors I might otherwise have chosen, because I thought they looked sort of like bandaids on me.

My favorites include: Product Red (1st gen, bright red), Light Pink, Mint, Azure, Denim Blue, and the Anthracite/Black and Violet Dust/Plum Fog Nike bands.

Of the currently available colors, the Blue Horizon looks like it has the potential to be nice (Apple has had a bunch of strong blue colors over the years, most of which look nice with Space Gray). I'd also love to have the Forest Green and Cape Cod Blue Leather Loops, but I'm not going to let myself spend the money right ow (I have the original Black Leather Loop, and it looks lovely on the watch).

I'm sad that I didn't jump on Royal Blue. And Ultraviolet is nice, but leaves me underwhelmed because it's too blue, with not enough red - I'd love to see Apple do an actual strong, dark, purple. I spent the last few days wearing half of the Mint band and half of the Light Pink band, which amused me and delighted my nieces (the Light Pink by itself can be a bit much, but it mixes nicely with Mint or Azure, which also go well together).

If I had to pick just five: Product Red, Mint, Denim Blue, Anthracite/Black Nike, and Black Leather Loop.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
With SG I tend to stick to Black, grey and blue. I also have a dark brown leather band. I have a Blue Horizon band coming that I'm looking forward to wearing! All look great to suit my tastes. If you ask me it is very versatile and can be paired with darn near anything.

@techno-Zen that's an amazing collection of bands, I like the looks of those. I really want a gray sport band but the only one I see available is Lavendar Gray.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
With SG I tend to stick to Black, grey and blue. I also have a dark brown leather band. I have a Blue Horizon band coming that I'm looking forward to wearing! All look great to suit my tastes. If you ask me it is very versatile and can be paired with darn near anything.

@techno-Zen that's an amazing collection of bands, I like the looks of those. I really want a gray sport band but the only one I see available is Lavendar Gray.
Check frys Electronics website for the gray sports band or B&H photo. It’s a beauty

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Some of the 3rd party bands are pretty good and I wasn't sure if it was authentic or 3rd party. It looks great paired up with the SG. Sadly the Apple Milanese are a bit small for my wrist I think.

Reactions: twanj

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Some of the 3rd party bands are pretty good and I wasn't sure if it was authentic or 3rd party. It looks great paired up with the SG. Sadly the Apple Milanese are a bit small for my wrist I think.
Over 200mm? Several of the 3rd party ones look pretty good (I've got an old Spigen A300), but none that I've seen quite get the heft of the real thing.

(BTW, nice JG avatar! Saw him 27 times - 25 GD and 2 JGB.)

Reactions: staggerlee41

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Over 200mm? Several of the 3rd party ones look pretty good (I've got an old Spigen A300), but none that I've seen quite get the heft of the real thing.

(BTW, nice JG avatar! Saw him 27 times - 25 GD and 2 JGB.)

I'm not sure the exact measurements but I'm on the next to last hole on the sport band which is noted as up to 200mm. It works on that band because it completely comes apart. I once tried on a Milense in the Apple store and it was a little difficult to get my hand inside, though once on it would probably work. Yeah the Spigen band is nice for what it is, I've got one also.

The change in case dimensions of AW 4 actually gives me more room with the band--which is great! I could actually wear it on the 3rd hole from the end of Sport Band with pretty much the same fit as with AW 2, so maybe there is hope?

Thanks for the avatar comment! Wow you got lucky to see him that much! I came onto the wave late and only caught 9 shows!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.