Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
I'm trying to transfer a few hundred GBs from a NAS to a NVMe SSD in a USB C enclosure.

Finder repeatedly hangs after a few GBs (in a Macbook Pro 13", 2019). It just stays on that amount of GBs transferred, no "disk ejected" issues, opening any folders shows the loading text (left).

Tried a different cable, same issues.

Works just fine plugged into a 2019 iMac 5K.

Has anyone seen this before? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 11.40.38 AM.png

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Update #1
Looks like a Finder bug. I found a workaround: copying the files first from the NAS to the local SSD, and then from the local SSD to the USB C SSD.

Update #2
The NAS is irrelevant. It looks like the issue is with large copies to the NVMe SSD over USB C. Same issue as in the original post.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the finder encounters JUST ONE file "with problems" (i.e., file corruption), it will abort THE ENTIRE TRANSFER. And it won't tell you why it aborted, or where the bad files are.

It's "just the way the finder is", and is why it's not a good idea to try using the finder for such large transfers.

You could try transferring the data "in small blocks". That way, if it's only one or two corrupt files "breaking the transfer", they may be easier to isolate.

Another possibility:
Use CarbonCopyCloner instead of the finder.
You can set it up to be "selective" about which files are copied (so you copy only those files you want transferred).
Even though CCC is a "cloning app" (which normally would wipe out any files on the target drive not on the source drive), it has a feature to "not delete anything" on the target drive, so stuff already there isn't erased.

WHY CCC is better for this:
Unlike the finder, if CCC encounters a bad file during the copying process, it DOES NOT QUIT.
Instead, it "marks" the bad file (you can look at a list of any bad files later), but KEEPS ON COPYING all the "good" files. So the file transfer will "go through" even if one or more bad files are discovered in the process.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help and response. Will try CCC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.