Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Has anyone checked out The Hunter: Primal, pre-release Windows, $20?

thehunterprimal.jpg

Steam: The Hunter Primal

Frighteningly Realistic Dinosaur Hunter Goes Live

Also following Blockscape, another pre-release Windows game $20, but won't be jumping on this until I see another updated. Released last Summer, no updates to date.

0.jpg

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Sorta new to Steam.

I bought a game a about 4 years ago, but it was just a CD with the Steam Client Install and a license for the game that downloads.

I revisited my Steam account and it is still in there! There are also other games I want.

Some questions:

When you buy a game, does it include both Mac and PC versions?

Can you play them offline?

Can you "return" a game you find out doesn't run or don't want?

The game I had from before, after downloading to these new-fangled laptops says I need a card with 256 Meg memory. But don't these new laptops, even though they have integrated, are they not enough to play these old games?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Some questions:

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You can tell based on the icons near the purchase button. The overwhelming majority of games have the Windows symbol, meaning that they can be played on Windows. If there's an Apple symbol, then they can also be played on OS X. Some have the penguin logo, indicating a Linux version. There's no need to purchase each version separately: one purchase gives you access to all of these versions, and you can install them on multiple systems if you choose.

One thing worth noting is that occasionally a game will have an OS X version available, but it won't be available through Steam. The exact reason varies from game to game, but in many cases it has to do with licensing. Many game makers hire outside studios to handle the porting to OS X, and the terms may restrict how and where the OS X version can be sold. I've come across this with two or three games now.

Yes, but you may need to launch them from outside of the Steam client.

I've never tried, but I believe Steam does have some sort of function for this. Don't expect it to be fast or easy to make such a return, though.

The game I had from before, after downloading to these new-fangled laptops says I need a card with 256 Meg memory. But don't these new laptops, even though they have integrated, are they not enough to play these old games?
This depends on the game. Some games may be able to run, but might have hard-coded requirements that they won't run on integrated graphics.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
This depends on the game. Some games may be able to run, but might have hard-coded requirements that they won't run on integrated graphics.

Thanks for the info!

I have a lot of old physical copies from back in the day (ie Quake) and they, I guess, are highly collectible.

It seems that on Steam, the games are cheap to buy these newer versions that will run on modern systems instead of trying to get the old physical copies working on new machines (like the program installer actually errors out).

Like right now some company bought the rights to MS Flight Simulator to post on Steam only and update the program so that it runs on Win 8.1.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
FYI - Steam doesn't seem to let you run their games outside of Internet access. I tried to run MS Flight Sim without the Internet and the Steam Client, even though I still had to log in locally in off-line mode, said I couldn't run the program.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Some questions:

Yes

Depends on the game. It also depends on 3rd party DRM (that is DRM in addition to Steam the game may come with).

All sales are final. Steam has a terrible return policy. Think of Steam as a vending machine for video games. If there's a problem, chances are you're probably out of luck.
Thanks!

Depends on the laptop but generally speaking most do. (I'm not sure if you're talking about Apple laptops or something else)

Generally I recommend getting older games from http://www.gog.com (Good Old Games) - well pretty much any desired game they carry - as they offer the same advantage of giving you both mac/win versions of a game, have a 30day return policy if you have any download or install issues, and are DRM free (meaning offline is fine).

Steam has run away with such a monopoly on games and has such abysmal support game buyers should seriously consider who they buy from and what they're helping to support. GoG is owned by CD Projekt Red (the Witcher series) so you are not only supporting a better alternative to Steam but also helping support a great developer of rpgs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Right now I'm trying to get a return on Arma2 because it's an old game and the Steam browser, the list of servers for this game no longer functions within Steam. This was the case when I first cranked up the game. My argument is that I purchased this gema throuh Steam specifically to run via Steam. At first they said no, but then wanted a copy of the email I got from the developer saying that vanilla Arma 2 in-Steam browser no longer was functional. Waiting for a final decision.

I believe my point is a valid one... :confused:

----------

Sorta new to Steam.

I bought a game a about 4 years ago, but it was just a CD with the Steam Client Install and a license for the game that downloads.

I revisited my Steam account and it is still in there! There are also other games I want.

Some questions:

Thanks!

A purchase on Steam allows you access to download any version of the game that Steam carries. As said, when browsing games if they are Mac compatible there will be a Mac logo by its title in the browse/purchase list.

FYI - Steam doesn't seem to let you run their games outside of Internet access. I tried to run MS Flight Sim without the Internet and the Steam Client, even though I still had to log in locally in off-line mode, said I couldn't run the program.

Some Steam games will play in offline mode. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555
I use Steam, it offers a lot, it's advantage is that it offers an interface where Steam users can coordinate their efforts, communicate, and play/join each other's games when multiplayer is a component of the game. However if the same game was available on gog.com, I would consider that instead, among other reasons, an actual return policy.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

Not entirely true. If a game is "Steamplay" compatible with OS X, then you can download it on either operating system. Some Steam games, such as Metro: Redux are Steamplay but only between Windows and Linux. A few have been ported to OS X but are not offered on Steam. Batman: Arkham Asylum is one - you can buy it on the Mac App Store for play on OS X, but the Steam version is Windows only. Call of Duty: Black Ops is available on Steam for both OS X and Windows, but they are two separate applications that require two separate purchases if you want to play on both operating systems.

Depends on the game. It also depends on 3rd party DRM (that is DRM in addition to Steam the game may come with).

The only time I have ever had a problem playing a Steam game offline is when it was bundled with Games for Windows Live. With that service having been shut down, most developers have removed that DRM, so the game will play just fine using only Steam.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Not entirely true. If a game is "Steamplay" compatible with OS X, then you can download it on either operating system. Some Steam games, such as Metro: Redux are Steamplay but only between Windows and Linux. A few have been ported to OS X but are not offered on Steam. Batman: Arkham Asylum is one - you can buy it on the Mac App Store for play on OS X, but the Steam version is Windows only. Call of Duty: Black Ops is available on Steam for both OS X and Windows, but they are two separate applications that require two separate purchases if you want to play on both operating systems.

The only time I have ever had a problem playing a Steam game offline is when it was bundled with Games for Windows Live. With that service having been shut down, most developers have removed that DRM, so the game will play just fine using only Steam.

Yes obviously you need to look at the Steam play logo and see what OS is supported with it (Linux, OSX, Win). I expected he knew that much.

As far as DRM, try buying an Ubisoft game and see how much fun you have offline if Ubi servers are down (see Watchdogs release). Then off course there are multiplayer online only games MMO's F2P's etc., and Co-ops that might be pointless solo etc., so again it depends on the game.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
That poster explicitly said he was new to Steam, and as such, his question needed a more specific answer than yes or no.

The second doesn't follow from the first. It's not so crazy to think he might have the remedial wherewithal to actually look at the SteamPlay Apple, Windows, or Linux logo directly above the "Add to Cart" button but if you need to parse it down to the smallest possible detail I suppose that's what you need to do.

In either case, I don't see him asking for further clarification on the subject, so I'm guessing he deserves more credit than you're giving him.

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I'm guessing he deserves more credit than you're giving him.

You've been doing a lot of guessing in this thread. There is no ambiguity in what I posted, so not only the original poster, but anyone who comes across this thread in a web search will find the information presented to be as clear as day.

I like to think of it has a form of empathy for users.

Renzatic

Suspended
Let's get this thread back on track!

I bought two games yesterday that have ended up surprising me with how great and fun they are, and now I feel the need to extol their virtues far and wide.

They are:

Legend of Grimrock II (Win only)

Grimrock is a kick in the pants if you tend towards oldschool first person RPGs. I liked the original quite a bit, but was still shocked by how much better this one was. The style, the atmosphere, the mood, the puzzles, the fighting, the strategy. It's got it all.

Dungeon of the Endless is kinda hard to explain, since there's nothing else out there quite like it. If you absolutely had to drill it down to genres, then I'd say it's a futuristic dungeon crawler roguelike tower defense realtime boardgame whoozit whatsamajigglet. All I can say is that it's fun from beginning to end.

I deeply recommend you all pick these two up.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Thanks for the help.

I've already bought a bunch of games. Easier to spend $3-$5 than trying to get the originals working, especially older games.

When they mean Holiday Sale, are these games really on sale for the 50% off and will go back to their normal price at Jan. 2 or is it some gimmick to get you to buy?

Thanks...

Renzatic

Suspended
Thanks for the help.

I've already bought a bunch of games. Easier to spend $3-$5 than trying to get the originals working, especially older games.

When they mean Holiday Sale, are these games really on sale for the 50% off and will go back to their normal price at Jan. 2 or is it some gimmick to get you to buy?

Thanks...

Oh, they're on sale in a big, bad way. One of the reasons why so many people fear Steam sales is because the deals are so good, they end up spending 3 times as much to take the utmost advantage of it.

It's not uncommon to see a $59.99 game selling for $14.99 for a few days, think "that's a STEAL! I MUST GET THAT NAAAOOOOO", grab it, then do it again, and again, and again.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Oh, they're on sale in a big, bad way. One of the reasons why so many people fear Steam sales is because the deals are so good, they end up spending 3 times as much to take the utmost advantage of it.

It's not uncommon to see a $59.99 game selling for $14.99 for a few days, think "that's a STEAL! I MUST GET THAT NAAAOOOOO", grab it, then do it again, and again, and again.

Yeah, I got onto steam since Microsoft Flight Sim X is only available on it now and they had an intro price of $5 - so why not?

So I got that, and decided to see what else they had "on sale" - that was $40 ago (and counting)...:eek:

;)

Renzatic

Suspended
So I got that, and decided to see what else they had "on sale" - that was $40 ago (and counting)...:eek:

;)

$40? You're getting off light! I bought 15 games one year before my bank statement taught me self control. Right now, I've got 155 games in my library, and I'm not even sure I've even played half of them. There's a couple in there I look at and think "...I don't remember getting that".

That's what Steam Sales will do to you, man. It's like you fugue out for a few days, then BAM! You wake up, and realize you're now the proud owner of Barbie's Fashion Mansion cuz it was 99% off the day before.

edit: damnit. Shovel Knight's on sale.

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Same here regarding Steam sales. It's tricky because they cycle sales every 12-48 hours, so you might buy $10-20 worth of games and think that you're not spending too much, and then a few days later you do it again... and again... not really realizing the total that you've spent thus far.

I also have many unplayed games in my library. Why couldn't these types of things have happened when I was a kid, and it seemed like I had far more time than games? Now it's a struggle to make time for getting into and completing a game. The one benefit of having such a backlog is that you can afford to get picky with the sales. Steam generally has two major sales each year, the holiday sale and a mid-summer sale. With such a backlog, you can wait for the discount to reach a certain level before you buy. It might not be for another year or two after the game makes its way onto your wish list, but hey, you have all those other games to work through! (Although I admit that I feel a bit guilty about some of that - I want to support the developers, and occasionally getting a game for less than a gallon of gas doesn't seem like much support...)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I bought two games yesterday that have ended up surprising me with how great and fun they are, and now I feel the need to extol their virtues far and wide.

They are:

YouTube: video

and

Dungeon of the Endless (Win/Mac)

Grimrock is a kick in the pants if you tend towards oldschool first person RPGs. I liked the original quite a bit, but was still shocked by how much better this one was. The style, the atmosphere, the mood, the puzzles, the fighting, the strategy. It's got it all.

Dungeon of the Endless is kinda hard to explain, since there's nothing else out there quite like it. If you absolutely had to drill it down to genres, then I'd say it's a futuristic dungeon crawler roguelike tower defense realtime boardgame whoozit whatsamajigglet. All I can say is that it's fun from beginning to end.

Grimrock looks interesting. Too bad it's not coop.

Renzatic

Suspended
Grimrock looks interesting. Too bad it's not coop.

I dunno. I think it might lose a bit of its mystique being online. It's almost like a good book in a way. Something you play while cozied up on a cold winter night.

Though if you absolutely have to have the multiplayer experience, then get a couple of friends over, pop open a few beers, and take turns trying to figure out the puzzles and getting through all the hard fights.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Same here regarding Steam sales. It's tricky because they cycle sales every 12-48 hours, so you might buy $10-20 worth of games and think that you're not spending too much, and then a few days later you do it again... and again... not really realizing the total that you've spent thus far.

I also have many unplayed games in my library. Why couldn't these types of things have happened when I was a kid, and it seemed like I had far more time than games? Now it's a struggle to make time for getting into and completing a game. The one benefit of having such a backlog is that you can afford to get picky with the sales. Steam generally has two major sales each year, the holiday sale and a mid-summer sale. With such a backlog, you can wait for the discount to reach a certain level before you buy. It might not be for another year or two after the game makes its way onto your wish list, but hey, you have all those other games to work through! (Although I admit that I feel a bit guilty about some of that - I want to support the developers, and occasionally getting a game for less than a gallon of gas doesn't seem like much support...)

but then if you think how many games you have unplayed, and we all do it, so 10 of us paying 5 euros is the same support as 1 of us paying 50.

and the worst thing is we keep piling them on top of the pile of unplayed games. ive been good this sale, only thief for 7.50 and tropic 5 for 16 euro, but theres still a few days to go... damn just looked, wolfenstein for 16 euro....be strong...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Right now I'm trying to get a return on Arma2 because it's an old game and the Steam browser, the list of servers for this game no longer functions within Steam. This was the case when I first cranked up the game. My argument is that I purchased this gema throuh Steam specifically to run via Steam. At first they said no, but then wanted a copy of the email I got from the developer saying that vanilla Arma 2 in-Steam browser no longer was functional. Waiting for a final decision.

I believe my point is a valid one... :confused:

----------

A purchase on Steam allows you access to download any version of the game that Steam carries. As said, when browsing games if they are Mac compatible there will be a Mac logo by its title in the browse/purchase list.

Some Steam games will play in offline mode. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555
I use Steam, it offers a lot, it's advantage is that it offers an interface where Steam users can coordinate their efforts, communicate, and play/join each other's games when multiplayer is a component of the game. However if the same game was available on gog.com, I would consider that instead, among other reasons, an actual return policy.

Regarding Arma 2, I talked them at Steam into a refund (to Steam wallet) the point being is that the in-game Steam browser to find online games is no longer working, it was decommissioned by the developer. This only applies to basic vanilla Arma 2, I had just purchased it, and subsequently had bought Arma 3. I did not want to jump through hoops outside of Steam to find online games (for Arma 2).

Regarding Arma 3, I may have all ready said this, that while it seems to have great potential, my limited online experience with it is that it's not real focused, large maps with conflict somewhere, and, well, I'll run through the solo campaign which does have a point, and see where it takes me.

Anyone played the Day Z mod with it on Amra 3?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Anyone played "Alien Rage"?

I've tried just the demo.

Steam has it on sale for $10. I played it on PS3, but of course the console versions are $20.

The nice thing about the PC version is that it will always work (more or less) as Sony can discontinue it when they retire the PS3 and make you buy it over again with Playstation Now or the PS4 compatible version.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Has anyone checked out The Hunter: Primal, pre-release Windows, $20?

Steam: The Hunter Primal

Frighteningly Realistic Dinosaur Hunter Goes Live

Also following Blockscape, another pre-release Windows game $20, but won't be jumping on this until I see another updated. Released last Summer, no updates to date.

I've read about and seen some videos on the Hunter Primal. Seems interesting. My concern is that there does not seem to be building, just scavenging, or maybe I missed that description in the reviews I read.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
You've been doing a lot of guessing in this thread. There is no ambiguity in what I posted, so not only the original poster, but anyone who comes across this thread in a web search will find the information presented to be as clear as day.

I like to think of it has[sic] a form of empathy for users.

This last post of yours really sums up what they're all about. Trivial distinctions masquerading as helping the user while needlessly quoting me to underline a petty jab as payback for some past forum topic. Classy.

----------

They are:

and

Dungeon of the Endless (Win/Mac)

Actually I've been curious about this new Grimrock and whether it has the same needless precision timing as the first. I liked the first up until maybe level 5 or 6 where precision keystrokes became pretty annoying to complete certain puzzles. The rest of the game became kind of a chore when these types of puzzles popped. I much prefer the puzzles that required a critical or analytic mind rather than button mashing. So my concern is how much, if any button mashing is required for the new one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.