Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Double Holy Crap!- Want a little nostalgia? This is a Half Life Remake. Unfortunately this is PC and Steam only where as the original Valve games are Mac compatible.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Double Holy Crap!- Want a little nostalgia? This is a Half Life Remake. Unfortunately this is PC and Steam only where as the original Valve games are Mac compatible.

It is a really unfortunate trend - even games I previously played on Mac that are coming to GoG seldom have Mac versions anymore.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It is a really unfortunate trend - even games I previously played on Mac that are coming to GoG seldom have Mac versions anymore.
I think it is because as the MacOS evolves, it leaves a lot of games behind, unless the porter of said game is on the ball and wants to spend money updating it. :(
The question is do the original Valve Half Life games (Mac versions) work on Catalina???

Reactions: simonmet

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I think it is because as the MacOS evolves, it leaves a lot of games behind, unless the porter of said game is on the ball and wants to spend money updating it. :(

Absolutely - I know updating to El Capitan cost me the ability to play Mac versions of Star Wars games on my old MacBook Air (still can play on my Pro, which has other software I can’t lose to El Capitan!). I totally get the cost/benefit and in particular when they are not getting new money to update. Just sad to keep having more of my gaming move to my PC.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Absolutely - I know updating to El Capitan cost me the ability to play Mac versions of Star Wars games on my old MacBook Air (still can play on my Pro, which has other software I can’t lose to El Capitan!). I totally get the cost/benefit and in particular when they are not getting new money to update. Just sad to keep having more of my gaming move to my PC.
This is the reality, and although it does not make me happy to say it, as a realist, gaming on a Mac can cost you in many ways over the long run. Now that statement would be separate from iOS games, but imo, there is no iOS game that holds my attention as compared to the competition in the gaming arena, something like Fallout 4.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This survival game Die Young (Windows) is on sale at Steam for the next 36 hours. At $10, I'm going to give it a chance and will report back.

shot5.jpg

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
I started playing Red Dead Redemption II tonight. Somehow I'm a girl with a naggy horse. I'll report back later as I get into it further. ?

Pretty sure I'm going to like it though. But so far it's a bit slow out of the gate... lots of horse trotting to the next location.:confused:

• Haha
Reactions: simonmet and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Reactions: howiest

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I see that Titanfall 2 is on sale on Steam till 9Jul20 for $9.89 (normal price at Steam: $29.99) and I read a comment in reviews that you have to tie it to an EA/Origin account. No problem but I thought I'd go see what it was selling for on the Origin Game Launcher and there it is $19.99 so a good deal at Steam.
[automerge]1592532779[/automerge]

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This survival game Die Young (Windows) is on sale at Steam for the next 36 hours. At $10, I'm going to give it a chance and will report back.

Die Young not a bad game per se, but it held my attention for a relatively short period of time. You are on an island where a vacation with friends went very wrong and your goal is to escape the island that requires a lot of sneaking, climbing, and jumping mechanics. Guns are in short supply.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
If anyone likes board games, Lords of Waterdeep is currently 50% off and it has a Mac version.

Happy to play anyone in multiplayer.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If anyone likes board games, Lords of Waterdeep is currently 50% off and it has a Mac version.

Happy to play anyone in multiplayer.

Thanks for the info.

I bought it along with the two extensions for $5.47 .

I have a pretty big queue of computer games to play and I'm currently in the middle of ARK:Survival Evolved so I have no idea when I will get to it :).

Reactions: Huntn and simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Thanks for the info. I bought it along with the two extensions for $5.47 .

Board games can be pretty great value if it's a good one, because they essentially have infinite replayability. I put 11 hours into LoWD within the first couple of days (after having played it a lot on the iPad) and I expect dozens or even hundreds of hours to come. Not bad for $5.

AAA titles on the other hand have high production values but they end up being more of a cinematic experience that you only end up playing once or twice.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Hmm, picked up several on sale. Will try to remember to post tomorrow. I’m a sucker for many games $10 or less, which I might not even play... :oops:

See I not only buy games I definitely will play, I buy games that I think I’ve got a good chance of beating all the achievements! My achievement percentage is 82% currently!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
  • Mass Effect Andromeda Deluxe
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • Titanfall 2
Thinking about:
  • Raft (positive)
  • Osiris: New Dawn (mostly negative though)
  • Half-LIfe Alyx- Heard this was good, but I don't want to spend $45 on it. I'll keep watching it.
Any opinions on these last 2 or any of them? :D

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Don’t know anything about those sorry @Huntn, but I wouldn’t recommend negatively reviewed products generally.

I like smaller indie and board games usually, but occasionally others. I picked up some cheap indie games Hidden Folks and Chuchel by Amanita Design. Also recently picked up Lords of Waterdeep as mentioned above.

I’m considering Tropico 6 since I’ve enjoyed and got good value out of the previous three in the series. I’d also like to pick up Disco Elysium, but I’m kind of waiting for a > 25% discount. It’s been discounted that much numerous times previously so I thought they might drop it a bit more for the Summer sale, but alas.

Other games I’m considering are Scythe, Slay The Spire, Frostpunk and even Doom Eternal, which is 50% off.

Has anyone played any of these?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Holy Crap, wanting to duplicate the Aliens experience, I may be forced to buy this :):

Summer 2021​

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Holy Crap, wanting to duplicate the Aliens experience, I may be forced to buy this :):

Summer 2021​
This appears to be a good candidate for the last stand gunfight, Aliens-style.

If you want something that better captures the first movie Alien (which isn't really a sci-fi shoot 'em up but really a horror movie that takes place in outer space) play Alien: Isolation. I've dabbled with this game in VR mode as well, it is one creepy game.

The first two Alien movies illustrate the cavernous divide between Ridley Scott and James Cameron's cinematic styles.

For sure I will put this game in my Steam wishlist. I loved the first two Alien movies.

Reactions: Irishman and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.