Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unfortunate Spacemen on Steam!

My god, this looks FREAKING AMAZING for multiplayer.... it's like living The Thing.

maxresdefault.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is it only me, or do you guys find it also unfair that some games aren't available on MAC? I had to buy a new laptop which runs Win 10 just to buy some games from steam(stupid games, but quite fun lol)

I don’t consider it unfair, as much as I consider it the reality of Mac ownership. I have a MBP (signature) that I do most serious tasks on, a consol, and a PC. And the PC cost 1/2 to 1/3 of a Mac and out performs any Mac when it comes to gaming. :D

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I don’t consider it unfair, as much as I consider it the reality of Mac ownership. I have a MBP (signature) that I do most serious tasks on, a consol, and a PC. And the PC cost 1/2 to 1/3 of a Mac and out performs any Mac when it comes to gaming. :D
Agree - it is just the reality of being a gamer. If you want EVERYTHING ... you need to buy everything. Otherwise you get a subset. For me, Mac, PC and PS Vita (and DS/GBA) handles enough that I don’t miss not having a PS4/XBONE/Switch.

Reactions: Huntn

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
7 Days to Die for sale on Steam ends Feb 19. Anyone playing this? Your opinions requested.

Can you build a base and have a safe place or are you always faced with a hoard that will come knock it down trying to eat you?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/agecheck

Sounds like real life in general... :eek:

;)
[doublepost=1518885012][/doublepost]Shameless plug for one of my favorites from Ubisoft, Atomega.

You gather cubes and try to shoot other players in a cubist world. You grow larger as you gather cubes.

Normally only $10, but now on sale for $3! Got it during the Fall sale - so, so, much fun.

Beautiful TRON/Cubism aesthetics!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/619880/ATOMEGA/

Last edited:

Phoenix1293

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2018
Terribly interesting: Steam’s best post-apocalyptic games
Wasteland 2
This game is a remake of the famous Wasteland, released in late 1980-s. Modern version inherited the charm of the original one but at the same time it has an advanced graphics and some surprising novelties. Player can use either existing characters or create them himself. At the beginning your team consists of four personages. Later you can add three more – to make the action livelier. You can also customize your characters, change their style and even behavior. The team’s task is simple: to fight numerous enemies living in a desert gloomy area. Characters can count on several kinds of weapon and their own fists.

Metro 2033
The plot of this survival horror game is based on the eponymous novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky. Action takes place in post-apocalyptic Moscow, mainly in the Moscow metro. But sometimes the hero has to rise to the surface to complete certain tasks and find various valuable items. Locations in the game are quite realistic, they convey macabre atmosphere of abandoned subway tunnels and ruined city. The entourage is accompanied by strange effects and noises. The game is designed in such a way that the player must always be on the alert. There’s no scale of health or any kind of map, the player has to determine the direction with the help of compass.

18-1.jpg

Far Cry 3 – Blood Dragon
The game’s style, graphics, characters and atmosphere – everything ironically plays with the style of 80’s action movies. The action takes place after a nuclear war. An unknown villain creates an army of robots to again unleash a world war. Hero’s mission is to prevent the intruder from carrying out his plan. The character moves through the levels, destroys enemies, collects useful items and performs certain tasks (for example, to rescue a hostage or destroy an object). He receives points for successfully completed tasks (basic and additional) and the destruction of enemies. The character can also develop various skills and improve his weapon.

Left 4 Dead 2
Left 4 Dead 2 is a first-person shooter game with four survivors as the main characters. The plot resembles the story line of the precious version: unknown zombifying virus starts to infect people all over the world. Four daredevils are trying to save the planet and struggle against the hordes of the Infected. Survivors make their way through several levels separated by safe rooms and fortified spaces that are inaccessible to Affected of any type. It should be said, that the developers managed to convey the atmosphere of horror and desperation. Thanks to the technology of artificial intelligence, each walkthrough is unique. The game is definitely one of the best among cooperative shooters.

18-2.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Terribly interesting: Steam’s best post-apocalyptic games
Wasteland 2
This game is a remake of the famous Wasteland, released in late 1980-s. Modern version inherited the charm of the original one but at the same time it has an advanced graphics and some surprising novelties. Player can use either existing characters or create them himself. At the beginning your team consists of four personages. Later you can add three more – to make the action livelier. You can also customize your characters, change their style and even behavior. The team’s task is simple: to fight numerous enemies living in a desert gloomy area. Characters can count on several kinds of weapon and their own fists.

Metro 2033
The plot of this survival horror game is based on the eponymous novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky. Action takes place in post-apocalyptic Moscow, mainly in the Moscow metro. But sometimes the hero has to rise to the surface to complete certain tasks and find various valuable items. Locations in the game are quite realistic, they convey macabre atmosphere of abandoned subway tunnels and ruined city. The entourage is accompanied by strange effects and noises. The game is designed in such a way that the player must always be on the alert. There’s no scale of health or any kind of map, the player has to determine the direction with the help of compass.

18-1.jpg

Far Cry 3 – Blood Dragon
The game’s style, graphics, characters and atmosphere – everything ironically plays with the style of 80’s action movies. The action takes place after a nuclear war. An unknown villain creates an army of robots to again unleash a world war. Hero’s mission is to prevent the intruder from carrying out his plan. The character moves through the levels, destroys enemies, collects useful items and performs certain tasks (for example, to rescue a hostage or destroy an object). He receives points for successfully completed tasks (basic and additional) and the destruction of enemies. The character can also develop various skills and improve his weapon.

Left 4 Dead 2
Left 4 Dead 2 is a first-person shooter game with four survivors as the main characters. The plot resembles the story line of the precious version: unknown zombifying virus starts to infect people all over the world. Four daredevils are trying to save the planet and struggle against the hordes of the Infected. Survivors make their way through several levels separated by safe rooms and fortified spaces that are inaccessible to Affected of any type. It should be said, that the developers managed to convey the atmosphere of horror and desperation. Thanks to the technology of artificial intelligence, each walkthrough is unique. The game is definitely one of the best among cooperative shooters.

18-2.jpg
Why is that person hugging a witch? ;)

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
XCom 2: freaking fantastic. It’s somewhat of an action rpg not just strategy. Couldn’t recommend it enough.

Other favorites:
- Deus Ex games
- The Witcher 3
- Fallout 3 (4 is not really an rpg at all)

If you can’t save the game it really limits the enjoyment for me. Eg. Assassin’s creed, batman.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just tried Mist Survival on Steam, in early Access. A zombie post apocalyptic survival game. Nice graphics, but extremely hard to get enough food, and make progress. At least that is my opinion. Do not try to fight zombies with a knife, if you lose, you don’t die, but knocked unconscious, you are magically teleported to your spawn point with a penalty of losing important stuff you just looked all over the world for, like that shotgun in the fire lookout tower. :(

770CAB60-D59D-483C-9AAD-17E8F112453D.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You should take a look at SCUM, also an early access game Zombie survival game. Been playing it for about a week or so, and absolutely loving it!
I took a look at SCUM, is it solo friendly? Can it be run as a solo game? Are there NPC characters besides zombies? I should know this but forgot to check.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I took a look at SCUM, is it solo friendly? Can it be run as a solo game? Are there NPC characters besides zombies? I should know this but forgot to check.
Yeah it can be run as a solo game, it's quite basic at the moment but there are plans to expand it later. Predominantly it's a multi player game at the moment.

The NPCs are mostly puppets/zombies (dead prisons who are being controller by a chip in their head), but you also find huge robots guarding loot rich areas as well as wildlife in surrounding areas.

What I like the most is the complex nutrition system. It's not just a case of eating any food you find, you have to be selective and eat a balanced diet. Try to live off meat alone and your character will surely start packing on the pounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.