Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hello,
I put some photo's on my iPhone during IOS12, by a tool called iTransfer.
Since the update to IOS13 those photo's can not be removed any more,
be it on the iPhone, be it from my Mac. Even the local resellers can't help.
iTunes (from the Mac) simply does not see any photo's on my iPhone.
Creating new pictures, transferring them and deleting them works fine.

How do I get rid of those older pictures without having to buy a new iPhone?
Thanks for reading.
;JOOP!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Are you using iCloud Photo Library? You may have to turn that off so that you can use iTunes' feature to sync photos to your phone. Tell it to sync some photos to your phone, then remove them, and at that point they should be gone.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Are you using iCloud Photo Library? You may have to turn that off so that you can use iTunes' feature to sync photos to your phone. Tell it to sync some photos to your phone, then remove them, and at that point they should be gone.
I never use iCloud anywhere. The problem is that iTunes does not 'see' photos on my iPhone.
The photos icon simply is absent.
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Here is a snapshot of iTunes connected to my iPhone: no photos found.
;JOOP!
[automerge]1572357572[/automerge]
Attachment?

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I failed to attach a screenshot in .png
Never mind, believe me: iTunes does not show a photos icon for my iPhone.
Photos (app) says: no photos.
Help.
;JOOP!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
iTransfer likely moved those photos to your iPhone as Albums, which were not in your Camera Roll (this is also the way iTunes would have synced photos from your Mac to your iPhone).

I guess you don't have iTransfer any more? When a particular app gives, that particular app may be necessary to take away. (That's the way it would work if you had synced those images using iTunes.)

If you don't have iTransfer, the likely way to get rid of them is to erase your iPhone and restore from backup. If the iTransfer images were treated the same way as synced images from iTunes, then they will not be part of your backup (as it was synced data). Now, there is a chance they will be restored from a backup, but I think it's worth the try.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
iTransfer likely moved those photos to your iPhone as Albums, which were not in your Camera Roll (this is also the way iTunes would have synced photos from your Mac to your iPhone).

I guess you don't have iTransfer any more? When a particular app gives, that particular app may be necessary to take away. (That's the way it would work if you had synced those images using iTunes.)

If you don't have iTransfer, the likely way to get rid of them is to erase your iPhone and restore from backup. If the iTransfer images were treated the same way as synced images from iTunes, then they will not be part of your backup (as it was synced data). Now, there is a chance they will be restored from a backup, but I think it's worth the try.
I do still have iTransfer and it works fine on my iPod, which runs IOS12.
iTransfer obviously was discontinued since these problems with IOS 13 showed.
Well, it can not write/delete to IOS13, but new pictures taken by the iPhone
can be exported to my iMac and consequently deleted from my iPhone (!?)
Those 9 sticky pictures do not show as albums; there seem to be 2 albums
on my iPhone (Recents and Favourites), both empty.
I wish IOS had some filesystem so I could access the files themselves; the backup idea feels tricky.
;JOOP!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I do still have iTransfer and it works fine on my iPod, which runs IOS12.
iTransfer obviously was discontinued since these problems with IOS 13 showed.
Well, it can not write/delete to IOS13, but new pictures taken by the iPhone
can be exported to my iMac and consequently deleted from my iPhone (!?)
Those 9 sticky pictures do not show as albums; there seem to be 2 albums
on my iPhone (Recents and Favourites), both empty.
I wish IOS had some filesystem so I could access the files themselves; the backup idea feels tricky.
;JOOP!

If "the backup idea feels tricky," you've been fortunate to never have any problems with your iOS devices; it's a standard fix for many problems. If you have to send your devices in for repair you have to make a backup and erase the thing prior to sending it in, and restore from that backup following the repair (since Apple and other shops don't want to be open to accusations that they accessed your data during the repair). It's also little different than backing up your current iPhone prior to transferring your backup to a new iPhone. The only difference is that you're erasing/reinstalling the OS to make the existing iPhone "as new" prior to restoring from the backup.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
If "the backup idea feels tricky," you've been fortunate to never have any problems with your iOS devices; it's a standard fix for many problems. If you have to send your devices in for repair you have to make a backup and erase the thing prior to sending it in, and restore from that backup following the repair (since Apple and other shops don't want to be open to accusations that they accessed your data during the repair). It's also little different than backing up your current iPhone prior to transferring your backup to a new iPhone. The only difference is that you're erasing/reinstalling the OS to make the existing iPhone "as new" prior to restoring from the backup.
Well, apart from my contacts and those 9 pictures, there is NO data on my iPhone to be preserved.
So, should I make a clean install of IOS 13 on it? Is that possible?
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
That's valuable information.
I guess that I will be off-APPLE and off-phone provider for some time,
so I must choose a good moment.
Thanks.
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Yes, it is possible. Here are Apple's instructions: https://support.apple.com/HT201252
Hi, I was a bit hesitating, as I realised I put 2 custom ring-tones/text-tones on my iPhone as well,
so I would loose them this way and it was a hard days work to ever install them.

So, I found an other 'solution': HIDE the pictures, i.e. put them in the 'hidden' album.
Of course those are still there, but I saved a lot of work to the cost of 15Mb,
while the machine has over 100Gb available: would I care?
Still I'll keep your advice in mind for 'worse' problems to be solved in the future.
Thanks anyway.
;JOOP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.