Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to you all. Not a new issue but I was wondering if after all that time someone came up with a solution for this bug. In a nutshell, ringtone selected for a phone call always revert to Default when a call enters. Spent 6 hours on the Net searching for a solution. Tried the 10 most interesting. No can do. My 6s still runs on 11.2.5. Being terrified things will get worst with 11.3.1. Maybe shouldn't !!! Also have the widget bug but it's a minor thing. Can someone help?
Thanks in advance

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
Why would things get worse with 11.3.1? Upgrade and see if you still have the issue.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
This issue is: I chose a ringtone of my liking and I see a check beside it telling me this will be the one that the will play, but when a call enters I hear the System default ringtone. Downloaded ringtones or System ringtones all the same. iOS always revert to Default. As for upgrading to 11.3.1., I wouldn't mind that much if the reviews were stellar. Reading the messages on this venerable forum makes me think twice...

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Have you tried restore all settings? Or restore to your backup and lastly restore as new.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello and thanks. That's were I'm at now. If I restore as new, won't the phone update to iOS 11.3.1? Which is what I'm trying to avoid. Never had to do a restore as new before on any of my iPhones.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Does the phone identify the right contact but just play the default tone?

Does the selected tone play when you select it for the contact?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Hello and thanks. That's were I'm at now. If I restore as new, won't the phone update to iOS 11.3.1? Which is what I'm trying to avoid. Never had to do a restore as new before on any of my iPhones.

Good question. I think if you do it through iTunes yes. But if you delete all data in settings and then when it boots up select your backup. You shouldn’t have to update. What is going to get worse with updating?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
You should 'reset all settings' first and see if that helps. A restore will download 11.3.1.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to you all and many thanks for your help. After reading carefully your posts and a ton on info on the Net, I finally found the problem. First, I know now my iPhone was not affected by the Ringtones bug as mentioned on the Net. I reset all the settings but stopped short a restoring as new. Then Simonsi made me check all of my contacts and if some had personal ringtones. Yep, one or two had a personal ring like myself. Since I called from my landline to check the selected new ringtone on my iPhone, it picked up the one specified in Contacts. I changed the ringtones in Contacts and now when there's an entering call, the new ringtone can be a heard. Thanks so much mes amis.

Jond smith

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
Hi, maybe your phone is not compatible with the selected ringtone file, you can type or retrieve ringtone file from new source and reinstall it.You can see more download free ringtone at RingtonesMobile.net

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.