Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'll try to keep this brief (probably won't be successful).

I successfully registered my Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card (VISA) with Apple Pay. I've attempted to use it at two merchants: a vending machine at work that has an NFC reader, and Macy's (which is listed on Apple's site as an Apple Pay partner).

At both locations, my card was declined. I called Bank of America, who confirmed that the card was successfully registered with Apple Pay. The card works just fine when I swipe the card itself, and it shows as being active in their system for Apple Pay use.

I called Apple, who also said everything looks fine on their end.

Called Bank of America again, and eventually got transferred to someone in the Fraud department who said everything on the account looked fine, but that the transactions had been declined by Visa/Mastercard.

After that, he transferred me back to the BoA Apple Pay department, who suggested I try restarting the phone (didn't help), or going to a different merchant (haven't been able to yet).

Can anyone offer some insight?

Thanks!!

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I had something similar happen to me at 7-11. I tried to use Apple Pay and my phone recognized the terminal and scanned my fingerprint, but the terminal simply said "Declined" I tried again with the real card and it went through without a problem.

From looking at other threads, it looks like the problem in my case was simply that 7-11 doesn't accept NFC payments... apparently they have it disabled on their end, but I thought that it was interesting that the terminal and my phone still were able to sync and attempt to process the payment.

My initial thought was that something similar happened to you... perhaps the vending machine had an NCF reader, but the owner had disabled it, but I certainly wouldn't expect you to see the same thing at Macy's, which is an Apple Pay partner.

Reactions: Charlotte M Grover

Seannyb

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Oregon
I have read that some people are having trouble because in their Apple Pay card settings their billing address has "Avenue" spelled out but their bank abbreviates it to "Ave". Not sure if that is why you are being declined or not.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
It works just fine, no issues using the card itself.

Did the terminal ask for a PIN to be entered? One of the gas stations by my house asks for a PIN each time I use my PayWave. No matter what PIN I use, it always gets declined. A couple other places I've gone to ask for a PIN as well, and those places never work either.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd contact Visa and see what they say.

As far as I can see there is no way to call Visa support, there is only an email address. :(

----------

I have read that some people are having trouble because in their Apple Pay card settings their billing address has "Avenue" spelled out but their bank abbreviates it to "Ave". Not sure if that is why you are being declined or not.

I just went to my account on BoA's site, and made sure the address in Apple Pay settings was typed the exact same way. Did that, tried it again, and still declined.

----------

Did the terminal ask for a PIN to be entered? One of the gas stations by my house asks for a PIN each time I use my PayWave. No matter what PIN I use, it always gets declined. A couple other places I've gone to ask for a PIN as well, and those places never work either.

It did not ask for a pin at either merchant.

----------

I had something similar happen to me at 7-11. I tried to use Apple Pay and my phone recognized the terminal and scanned my fingerprint, but the terminal simply said "Declined" I tried again with the real card and it went through without a problem.

From looking at other threads, it looks like the problem in my case was simply that 7-11 doesn't accept NFC payments... apparently they have it disabled on their end, but I thought that it was interesting that the terminal and my phone still were able to sync and attempt to process the payment.

My initial thought was that something similar happened to you... perhaps the vending machine had an NCF reader, but the owner had disabled it, but I certainly wouldn't expect you to see the same thing at Macy's, which is an Apple Pay partner.

Yeah, again my sample size is small as I tried a vending machine with an NFC terminal, as well as one machine at one Macy's. The vending machine one I can understand, but Macy's is an official Apple Pay partner.

I know the best course of action would be to try another location, but I just haven't been able to get to one yet, and I'm not entirely confident that's the issue..not sure why this has become so complicated, though!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Others claim success talking to a human at VISA
800-847-2911
http://gethuman.com/phone-number/Visa/

I searched that number and most show it as spam or telemarketer..hmm

----------

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I went to my Bank's site and made sure the address listed there was the same as in my Apple Pay settings.

Also, I figured that would be something the Bank would decline, and they're saying it wasn't declined on their end.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012

7/11 just hasn't been updated. I tried it there was also declined but card worked when swiped. When I used it at Macy's it worked flawlessly

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Sounds to me like some of these vendors stopped paying for the ability to use NFC transactions.

Any company that accepts Visa/Mastercard pay a fee to accept those credit cards and i'd be willing to bet Visa/Mastercard charges for NFC transactions also.

pazgb

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
I tried my work vending machine and the message back was MasterCard debit denied. It's not a debit card I was using. So something messed up w credit vs debit I think.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I tried my work vending machine and the message back was MasterCard debit denied. It's not a debit card I was using. So something messed up w credit vs debit I think.

Hmm that's a good thought..unfortunately mine shows correctly as Credit.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
What is scary about this is whenever there is some kind of issue like this, I can see this is going to be an "it's-Apple's-fault-no-it's-the-bank's-fault" where you're kicked back and forth between Apple and your card issuer/bank. Before it was just the bank. Now it's another excuse to get a runaround...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
What is scary about this is whenever there is some kind of issue like this, I can see this is going to be an "it's-Apple's-fault-no-it's-the-bank's-fault" where you're kicked back and forth between Apple and your card issuer/bank. Before it was just the bank. Now it's another excuse to get a runaround...

Yep, and I'm getting the runaround from both. Everyone's pointing figures and there seems to be no solution.

For all I know I could be missing something simple, which is why I've brought the issue here to get more brains in on the thinking..

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sounds to me like some of these vendors stopped paying for the ability to use NFC transactions.

Any company that accepts Visa/Mastercard pay a fee to accept those credit cards and i'd be willing to bet Visa/Mastercard charges for NFC transactions also.

It could be..one of my coworkers has a Samsung S5 and just learned to set up Google Wallet. He attempted to use it at the vending machine, and he too was denied.

I will attempt, as soon as possible, to go to a different location that is verified as an Apple Pay partner and again attempt to use the service.

I spoke with someone from Visa who said that they would not decline the transaction as the transaction is between the merchant and the card issuer. Since the card issuer (BoA has said that they did not decline it on their end), I guess my last resort is the merchant. However, I'm not entirely convinced that's the issue as Macy's is an Apple Pay partner, and others have confirmed success using Apple Pay at Macy's.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Shows a Lack of Adequate Testing

Yep, and I'm getting the runaround from both. Everyone's pointing figures and there seems to be no solution.

For all I know I could be missing something simple, which is why I've brought the issue here to get more brains in on the thinking..

Situations like this quickly turn into a finger pointing game.
Either way, it does demonstrate a lack of adequate testing.

Best of luck getting this solved.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Situations like this quickly turn into a finger pointing game.
Either way, it does demonstrate a lack of adequate testing.

Best of luck getting this solved.

Thanks, it definitely is frustrating when no one seems to have the answer. Going to give it a few days, attempt to use Apple Pay at least one other official Apple Pay partner..hopefully something will click by then. If not, I guess I'll be spending more time on the phone with BoA/Apple/etc.

If anyone else has other thoughts, would love to hear them. I've been annoying my wife trying to get this to work :p

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A quick update - my colleague has an iPhone 6 and was successfully able to make a purchase at the vending machine that has repeated declined me.

So, it does seem to be a specific issue with me/my phone/my card. :(

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
A quick update - my colleague has an iPhone 6 and was successfully able to make a purchase at the vending machine that has repeated declined me.

So, it does seem to be a specific issue with me/my phone/my card. :(

I'm wondering if it's a BoA issue. They say they are having problem with one payment processor that is causing their double charging problem. Try a Walgreens purchase and see what happens.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm wondering if it's a BoA issue. They say they are having problem with one payment processor that is causing their double charging problem. Try a Walgreens purchase and see what happens.

I'm hoping it's something related to that..a BoA issue they aren't fully aware of.

I'd love to try another merchant tonight, but not sure I'll get the chance. I'll report back here though if I am able to try another retailer.

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Have you tried removing the card from Apple Pay and then adding it again? That will change the device card number used. Also, is BofA showing a declined transaction at all? I know they said that they didn't decline anything, but it would still show if you attempted it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.