Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Hmm ok, that makes sense. I know the last 4 are different because the digital card in Apple Pay gets a new 16 digit card number, so that part is definitely right. I'm glad to hear of someone else getting a different expiration date exactly three years past their actual date, as that was what my situation was.

As I mentioned, we stopped the transaction because we didn't know if that would be an issue, but it could have gone through. I should have my new CC tonight, so I'll register it with Apple Pay and perhaps go back to a different merchant to see if it now works. I also restored my phone yesterday as brand new to rule out any software bugs.

I can't figure out why you would stop the transaction. Why not just let it go through and see what happens?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
They are an Apple Pay partner through their app, but not officially through the store yet. But, that's good to know - then this issue is even more strange as I confirmed the card number and exp. date with BoA, both are accurate.

I think they are in-store as well. I was in there last Monday, Apple-Pay sticker on the door and shiny new Verifone terminals talking about Apple Pay.

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
Any updates here? My expiration date is coming back exactly 3 years off when I try to use it at Starbucks and it declines every time because of it. However it works other places, so the expiration date only seems to be an issue at some places. Wells Fargo is absolutely no help - guess I just can't use it at Starbucks...maybe the world's trying to tell me I need to drink less coffee #

Ry L

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I had no problems using it at CVS, McDonald's, and whole foods but when I used it at home depot with the same card, it was declined. Home Depot does have NFC set up.

Works perfectly for me at Home Depot and everywhere else I've used it so far...except I tried it at Big Lots the other night, and it declined. Used it later that night at a different store and worked perfect.

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
I still can't get mine to work at most places. (Wells Fargo visa). I've spoken with everyone there from the fraud department to the apple pay customer service - can not figure out what's happening. So far it went through at one grocery store but has been declined at Starbucks (5x), movie theatre, and a home supplies shop. All of which use nfc and have worked for me many times when using my card. The last thing Wells Fargo told me to do was contact apple. So basically no help at all. It's frustrating because in Canada nfc is pretty big and it would've been really nice to not worry about carrying around my extra visa. If anyone has any solutions please update!

patrickbarnes

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Panera IS a :apple:Pay partner. It should work there. The EX date is not one of the tokenized items, if it was wrong -that is a problem and would prevent the card from working.

Wrong. Each issuer has an Apple Pay device account expiration date policy.

It's totally separate from your physical card expiration date.

So much misinformation...

----------

Any updates here? My expiration date is coming back exactly 3 years off when I try to use it at Starbucks and it declines every time because of it. However it works other places, so the expiration date only seems to be an issue at some places. Wells Fargo is absolutely no help - guess I just can't use it at Starbucks...maybe the world's trying to tell me I need to drink less coffee #

It's not being decline because of expiration. The expiration date on your physical card is totally unrelated to Apple Pay.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
At both locations, my card was declined. I called Bank of America, who confirmed that the card was successfully registered with Apple Pay. The card works just fine when I swipe the card itself, and it shows as being active in their system for Apple Pay use.

Same thing has happened to me at Best Buy and another place (I forget now). Terminal recognizes my phone, and it prompts me to use Touch ID. Then it is declined and I have to swipe. The cashier at Best Buy today stated that "we have that turned off."

EDIT: just did a quick search; didn't realize that Best Buy was officially NOT supporting  Pay.

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
Wrong. Each issuer has an Apple Pay device account expiration date policy.

It's totally separate from your physical card expiration date.

So much misinformation...

----------

It's not being decline because of expiration. The expiration date on your physical card is totally unrelated to Apple Pay.

Well that may be the case but that's what Wells Fargo is telling me. If anyone knows what the actual problem is, along with a possible solution, I would sure love to hear it. As for right now  pay is out for me.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
My wife and I were at Panera last week and my wife paid with her iPhone 6 and Visa PNC card and it worked great. As we were leaving, she wanted to grab something to-go for the next day and went to the exact same register we were at before and the transaction as declined twice.

We called PNC and they said it looks like the magnetic strip on the card is damaged -- that is funny since we used Apple Pay. I told her that and then she couldn't give me any reason why it was declined.

Frustrating since it worked just fine 10 minutes earlier. My wife hasn't had a chance to try Apple Pay again since that day, so we'll see what happens the next time she tries.

truskowr

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
California
OK, I've seen several times in this thread where people are saying to verify your name and address match what is on your card and your account, but where do you check that. In the Passbook App? If so then how?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not sure where you can validate the info after adding the card, but it's doable while adding.

If you're having trouble with a card I suggest deleting it and then re-adding it, being sure to verify everything is exactly as it is on the physical card.

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
My wife and I were at Panera last week and my wife paid with her iPhone 6 and Visa PNC card and it worked great. As we were leaving, she wanted to grab something to-go for the next day and went to the exact same register we were at before and the transaction as declined twice.

We called PNC and they said it looks like the magnetic strip on the card is damaged -- that is funny since we used Apple Pay. I told her that and then she couldn't give me any reason why it was declined.

Frustrating since it worked just fine 10 minutes earlier. My wife hasn't had a chance to try Apple Pay again since that day, so we'll see what happens the next time she tries.

Really hope  can get this figured out. And I'm happy to hear that it's not just me (sorry that you're having trouble as well though)! Not sure if it's worth it to contact apple, but Wells Fargo is certainly no help - and it sounds like other visa users are having issues as well. Maybe I should just give in and get an Amex ;)

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
Quick update: Bank of America visa works fine for me - just not Wells Fargo. So it seems that the issues are card specific. Tried paying with WF and declined but tried again with BoFA and success. Really annoying as WF is my main card. Hoping for a fix soon! Wondering whether the original poster had any success when he was sent a brand new card. May have to look into that.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
As an update, it turns out my PNC Visa card does not work at all either. It just gets declined every time. PNC was absolutely clueless and they have no idea why it is being declined. They told me to call back when their Online Banking Tech Support was in since they were off for Veteran's Day yesterday. I will see what they say this afternoon.

As a side note, yesterday I was at Harris Teeter and my PNC Visa was declined via Apple Pay, so then I used my Capital One MC via Apple Pay and it was successful, so there is definitely something going wrong with either PNC or Visa.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
As an update, it turns out my PNC Visa card does not work at all either. It just gets declined every time. PNC was absolutely clueless and they have no idea why it is being declined. They told me to call back when their Online Banking Tech Support was in since they were off for Veteran's Day yesterday. I will see what they say this afternoon.

As a side note, yesterday I was at Harris Teeter and my PNC Visa was declined via Apple Pay, so then I used my Capital One MC via Apple Pay and it was successful, so there is definitely something going wrong with either PNC or Visa.

I used my chase bank visa yesterday. So if there was any problem it should've shown up by then.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
I used my chase bank visa yesterday. So if there was any problem it should've shown up by then.

So it is most likely an issue with specific banks. What a bummer, didn't Apple require banks to undergo testing before they launched?!

With all of this stuff going on, I think Apple Stores should have an Apple Pay diagnostic terminal in their stores where you can try to use it. It can just put a $1 hold on the card and then cancel it. At least then you could go and test if its working instead of looking like an idiot in a store when it keeps getting declined.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Update:

I've been working with Apple Engineers in Cupertino over the phone for the past few weeks. They've installed a profile on my phone to track information regarding Apple Pay from the Passbook app.

So far, I haven't been able to give them good data A) Because I had to restore my phone due to other issues B) Because I'd have to go out of my way to spend money at places I normally wouldn't to test Apple Pay (for the most part), so I haven't really done much.

I'm still convinced the issues I've faced have been an issue with Visa and certain merchants, although nobody else (BoA, Apple, Visa) have come to that conclusion.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

I've had a very similar experience. I noticed that my local grocery store got new NFC terminals so I tried apple pay for the first time and it worked perfectly. I went back the very next day and was declined twice. It would scan my print, ask me to approve the amount and then come up as declined for the cashier.

The fact that it went through on my first visit makes me think that it wasn't an issue with the way my name, address, etc was entered. It must have been a problem with my phone or the terminal.

IslesFan

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Long Island, NY
I've had a very similar experience. I noticed that my local grocery store got new NFC terminals so I tried apple pay for the first time and it worked perfectly. I went back the very next day and was declined twice. It would scan my print, ask me to approve the amount and then come up as declined for the cashier.

The fact that it went through on my first visit makes me think that it wasn't an issue with the way my name, address, etc was entered. It must have been a problem with my phone or the terminal.

Could be a fraud protection mechanism on the merchants end. Imagine if you paid via card and left the card there accidentally. You wouldn't want someone to pick it up and use it there.

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
Update:

I've been working with Apple Engineers in Cupertino over the phone for the past few weeks. They've installed a profile on my phone to track information regarding Apple Pay from the Passbook app.

So far, I haven't been able to give them good data A) Because I had to restore my phone due to other issues B) Because I'd have to go out of my way to spend money at places I normally wouldn't to test Apple Pay (for the most part), so I haven't really done much.

I'm still convinced the issues I've faced have been an issue with Visa and certain merchants, although nobody else (BoA, Apple, Visa) have come to that conclusion.

Did you end up getting/trying a new card? Wells Fargo offered to send me one but I don't know if it's worth it if there's no chance it will fix the problem. I submitted feedback to apple pay yesterday as well - hopefully if enough people do they will take it seriously. I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Happened to me today (Wells Fargo Visa).

Went to the AT&T store to pay my Dad's cell phone bill, to my surprise they had a terminal that accepted NFC payments so I pulled out my phone to use Apple Pay. Tried it twice and the transaction declined so then I just swiped my card instead.

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
Happened to me today (Wells Fargo Visa).

Went to the AT&T store to pay my Dad's cell phone bill, to my surprise they had a terminal that accepted NFC payments so I pulled out my phone to use Apple Pay. Tried it twice and the transaction declined so then I just swiped my card instead.

Wells Fargo is my nemesis as well! It works at one grocery shop and declines literally everywhere else. My BoA visa goes through just fine though. Buggy and annoying as hell!

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Well, I talked with PNC tech support and the lady unregistered my wife and I's cards and had us add them again. She then verified the device account number (last 4) matched the 2 phones and said we should be good to go.

It has worked every time since then: 2 different Home Depots, Petco, and Panera. And it is working on both of our phones. I am thinking the issue was on PNC's side and once they re-authorized it, it fixed it.

Hope it starts working for everyone else!

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
Well, I talked with PNC tech support and the lady unregistered my wife and I's cards and had us add them again. She then verified the device account number (last 4) matched the 2 phones and said we should be good to go.

It has worked every time since then: 2 different Home Depots, Petco, and Panera. And it is working on both of our phones. I am thinking the issue was on PNC's side and once they re-authorized it, it fixed it.

Hope it starts working for everyone else!

Great news! Thanks for reporting back. And I may be way out of it, but what's PNC? It's 2am here and I can't quite make sense of things :) I've unregistered and re-registered with Wells Fargo once already. Wonder if it's worth it to try again. Glad to hear that there are solutions out there!

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Great news! Thanks for reporting back. And I may be way out of it, but what's PNC? It's 2am here and I can't quite make sense of things :) I've unregistered and re-registered with Wells Fargo once already. Wonder if it's worth it to try again. Glad to hear that there are solutions out there!

PNC is a bank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.