Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I imagine with Tonvid it will be even faster.

I stand corrected - after speaking to the developer, you can use TonVid to search for videos, then click on the Play on Youtube button which will send you to Youtube which activates Viewtube - as viewtube is using a modified script none of the extra videos or comments load so CPU load is kept down.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
I'm actually streaming 720P on my 12" 1.33Ghz Powerbook - my 1.67Ghz DLSD has MorphOS installed.
Even with the frame drops, I find it perfectly watchable. Unlike tenfourfox even with tonvid, still maxes out the cpu while dropping 99% of frames. Tenfourfox YouTube at even 144p really lags really bad as well... It's funny how different the results are for each browser.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Largely thanks to @B-G and his thread here I've shifted the duties to IceWeaselPPC (thanks @wicknix ) and MPlayer to stream Youtube on my 12" 1.33Ghz Powerbook running Tiger.
As we know, Tiger is pretty much out in the cold now for Youtube options with SMTube on hold and security protocols leaving Safari, TenFourKit, Camino and Omniweb behind but this is an effective solution for streaming using the Greasemonkey add-on running the Viewtube script.
<snip>

I followed the instructions from the forum post that you linked, but the videos still want to play within the browser. Do I need to have Greasemonkey installed, as well as follow the directions in that forum post? I'm confused, as there's no mention of Greasemonkey in the original post. There's Geekmonkey, but that's for Camino...

EDIT: I figured it out. I needed the Viewtube script. Duh. Two hours of sleep from staying up and messing with my new Cube. However, after setting everything up, selecting Low Definition MP4 and VTP, I click the video and... nothing. It doesn't tell me that the video is loading or anything; just the static thumbnail from the video. i wonder what I missed...

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
You made the new entry in about:config and opened the “First launch” html page?

Yep. After clicking the link, the sample video played fine.

Hmm... I think the version of mplayer I have is for the G3. Would that make a difference? The sample video streamed fine so it doesn't seem like it would...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hmm... I think the version of mplayer I have is for the G3. Would that make a difference? The sample video streamed fine so it doesn't seem like it would...

Is that the "new" MPlayer - have you made it yourself from source specifically for the G3?
If not, this has to use the newer version bundled with SMTube.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Is that the "new" MPlayer - have you made it yourself from source specifically for the G3?
If not, this has to use the newer version bundled with SMTube.

No. It's the really old build from a couple of years ago that was used with the View drop-on script. I installed it in /opt/local/bin/ since the VTP script is pointing to it. I'll install the SMTube version and see what happens.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
No. It's the really old build from a couple of years ago that was used with the View drop-on script. I installed it in /opt/local/bin/ since the VTP script is pointing to it. I'll install the SMTube version and see what happens.

No, definitely won't work with that version - not compatible with https: however, still works in conjunction with youtube-dl for streaming as that somehow screens the security protocol.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
I followed the instructions from the forum post that you linked, but the videos still want to play within the browser. Do I need to have Greasemonkey installed, as well as follow the directions in that forum post? I'm confused, as there's no mention of Greasemonkey in the original post. There's Geekmonkey, but that's for Camino...

EDIT: I figured it out. I needed the Viewtube script. Duh. Two hours of sleep from staying up and messing with my new Cube. However, after setting everything up, selecting Low Definition MP4 and VTP, I click the video and... nothing. It doesn't tell me that the video is loading or anything; just the static thumbnail from the video. i wonder what I missed...
The G4 Cube's were pretty cool macs. Very ahead of their time with the loss of the headphone jack.
[automerge]1572888956[/automerge]
I stand corrected - after speaking to the developer, you can use TonVid to search for videos, then click on the Play on Youtube button which will send you to Youtube which activates Viewtube - as viewtube is using a modified script none of the extra videos or comments load so CPU load is kept down.
My new favorite way to watch YouTube on a G4 Mac.. no lag what so ever on 360p SD. Even Leopard Webkit always lags the first 5 seconds while the video buffers and everything else loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Drone,

Found another option for streaming.
VLC 0.8.6i or 0.8.4.e.
Both can download fine from youtube ( MP4s ).
As a bonus it's much easier to install :D

Best regards,
voidRunner

What context? Streaming 360P or 3gp? I've never had any luck in the past, 3gp would break up and feeeze all the time.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Drone,

For regular youtube :). Haven't tried 3gp
You just have to go to the advanced options and change the GnuTLS to ignore certificates.
Also change the output module to OpenGL.

Best regards,
voidRunner
[automerge]1574680741[/automerge]

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Drone,

For regular youtube :). Haven't tried 3gp
You just have to go to the advanced options and change the GnuTLS to ignore certificates.
Also change the output module to OpenGL.

Best regards,
voidRunner
[automerge]1574680741[/automerge]

Thanks. Very interesting...just wish I could get VLC to behave with the Commandline a bit better!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Drone,

Found another option for streaming.
VLC 0.8.6i or 0.8.4.e.
Both can download fine from youtube ( MP4s ).
As a bonus it's much easier to install :D

Best regards,
voidRunner

Do you find when using VLC you have to manually quit it after every video to allow it to work for the next?
I've tried every quit variation in applescript but VLC refuses to close unless done manually or with a separate script.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Drone,

In my case it opens another VLC instance :(

ps. do you know any 480p urls from youtube, my viewtube only shows
the low quality MP4/WEBM options.

Best regards,
voidRunner

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Going to give up on trying VLC for this - just won't behave under Applescript - have a peek @Lastic this version of VLC with the TLS settings works fine with SMTube - nice to have another option.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Drone,

I have the script for VLC working ;)

set player to "/Applications/Multimedia/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --play-and-stop "
set background to " > /dev/null 2>&1 & "
do shell script "rm /Applications/Multimedia/ViewTube/youtube.m3u;echo \"#EXTM3U\" > /Applications/Multimedia/ViewTube/youtube.m3u;echo " & quoted form of videoURL & " >> /Applications/Multimedia/ViewTube/youtube.m3u"
set MPvideo to player & " /Applications/Multimedia/ViewTube/youtube.m3u " & background
do shell script MPvideo
delay 2
tell application "System Events"
tell application "VLC"
play
set visible of first window to false
end tell
repeat
delay 5
if exists (window 1 of process "VLC") then
-- wait for it to end
else
tell application "VLC"
quit
end tell
exit repeat
end if
end repeat
end tell

Best regards,
voidRunner

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Drone,

It'a a playlist file. So everytime I start a video it erases the previous file created.
If the file does not exist there is no problem. It then creates a new playlistfile
with the video url.
Finally it executes VLC with the playlist.
The applescript code that comes after hides VLC's main window ans
starts playing.
Then it loops every five seconds to see if VLC has any open windows,
if none are open it quits VLC. If by any change VLC was already close by you
it errors silently :)

Best regards,
voidRunner

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks, yes I've worked out now what it should do but it's not working for me - VLC opens with a dialogue waiting for a manual URL input...I'll keep working on it :)
[automerge]1574865847[/automerge]
Ah - fixed, your script didn't have VLC inside the default folder, that one change is all it took :) Great work!

Last edited:
Reactions: vddrnnr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.