Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm using an app called Universal Media Server to stream videos to my PS4 to watch on my flatscreen but man is this app terrible. Also, it does not support many codecs so you have to convert the videos usually before you can stream. Does anybody know of a better solution?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
plex. I use plex for all my tv streaming. my imac has everything on hard drive and then theres an app for ps4, my smart tv, ipad, iPhone. even works over internet when im away. the server on the mac is free, think it was a couple of euros for ipad cant remember if ps4 was free or paid but it was cheap.

not only streams, it catalogues everything, transcodes if need be, remembers what you've watched...

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
plex. I use plex for all my tv streaming. my imac has everything on hard drive and then theres an app for ps4, my smart tv, ipad, iPhone. even works over internet when im away. the server on the mac is free, think it was a couple of euros for ipad cant remember if ps4 was free or paid but it was cheap.

not only streams, it catalogues everything, transcodes if need be, remembers what you've watched...

I have tried plex but it sure was buggy. It also does not convert MKV files. I'm using something called Emby now and it works much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.