Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hello,

I'm in a pickle. My power button (the top button) is broken, meaning it doesn't work at all. My iPhone locked up and crashed (just frozen while using a particular app) so I tried to reboot but I could not b/c my power button is broken. I got desperate and decided to reformat my iPhone completely.

I hit erase my iPhone (via icloud) and sure enough, my iPhone was erased. Then upon reboot, the phone is stuck at a black screen with a activity indicator view (that spinning circle) and that's it.

Is my iphone 5 dead now? I have connected to iTunes, nothing. I can't enter recovery b/c my power button is completely broken (I had been using assistive touch to use a software power button).

How can I reset this phone to DFU mode without a functioning power button?

Advice would be much appreciated. Apple's solution is to charge me for an entirely new phone because the power button is not a repairable item.

Reactions: cooperehlers

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Well, you could take it someplace to have it fixed but it wouldn't be genuine parts and when my brother did it, they did a poor job and screwed up the iPhone. My advice? Pay for the OOW replacement and next time buy AppleCare. Not even the Plus, just AppleCare would cover this.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I've looked at RedSn0w, which has the ability to alter a firmware so it boots directly into DFU, but my phone isn't even detected by the computer at all so I can't even get started. I think that unless I physically fix the power button, it's game over for this iPhone. Am I wrong?

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I've looked at RedSn0w, which has the ability to alter a firmware so it boots directly into DFU, but my phone isn't even detected by the computer at all so I can't even get started. I think that unless I physically fix the power button, it's game over for this iPhone. Am I wrong?

If you can afford an iphone, you can afford to fix it. Next time, don't screw up the sleep button.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Next time, don't screw up the sleep button.

To be fair, it could happen to anybody. I've seen a few people with this issue, in fact its very common among iPhone 4/4s models, and does sometimes happen on the 5/5s. I wonder if its the same thing the old 800k floppy drives from yester-year are having, a gumed up mechanism.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
The power button is definitely repairable and it took around 30 minutes for a Chinese here in Beijing to make mine like new. Apple is just being Apple.

However, I wouldn't advice you to travel to China to repair your phone. It's easier (and quite possibly cheaper) to buy a new one, in that case.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
This happened to me before...

This MIGHT work and it worked for me with a broken power button.

Hold down the 'home' button and simultaneously hold the phone firmly on it's top end with the 'power' button depressed against a hard surface for about 10 seconds.

You might feel like you're about to smash your phone, but you must push it firmly against a hard surface (desk/table/cabinet) and it should work.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
To be fair, it could happen to anybody. I've seen a few people with this issue, in fact its very common among iPhone 4/4s models, and does sometimes happen on the 5/5s. I wonder if its the same thing the old 800k floppy drives from yester-year are having, a gumed up mechanism.

The last couple of sleep/power buttons I've replaced (iPhone 4s and 5), the 4s didn't seem dirty inside, but you couldn't press the button down (there is a point on the flex ribbon that wears away from use) while the 5 had a button that was fully press able and "clicky," but very dirty around the sleep/power button and did not recognize when it was pressed.

The replacement flex button, even if not truly a genuine part, is high quality and can be very difficult to tell apart from the original. Here is a pic of the one from the 5 that I replaced put right beside the replacement (not all parts removed from the defective original). Sent from my iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,152

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Hello,

I'm in a pickle. My power button (the top button) is broken, meaning it doesn't work at all. My iPhone locked up and crashed (just frozen while using a particular app) so I tried to reboot but I could not b/c my power button is broken. I got desperate and decided to reformat my iPhone completely.

I hit erase my iPhone (via icloud) and sure enough, my iPhone was erased. Then upon reboot, the phone is stuck at a black screen with a activity indicator view (that spinning circle) and that's it.

Is my iphone 5 dead now? I have connected to iTunes, nothing. I can't enter recovery b/c my power button is completely broken (I had been using assistive touch to use a software power button).

Advice would be much appreciated. Apple's solution is to charge me for an entirely new phone because the power button is not a repairable item.

wait until it dies is probably the only free option, unless you open up the phone and try to reset it with a paper clip

taldo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I don't know if you're still looking for a solution, but something similar happened to me also.

I entered recovery mode through the "Tiny Umbrella" software, and restored my phone back to life..!
Weird thing though, I'm a Mac owner and for some reason the program didn't work on my computer...
I used my wife's PC to get the tiny umbrella working and it worked like a charm.

Hope it helps you as much as it helped me, i thought i was doomed..:)

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI

add me to this list

4S, I don't use cases (only full body skins)
Never dropped my phone once
Not a single scratch
power button went out 3 weeks ago....

i'm just going to deal with it and hope my phone does not freeze until the 6 comes out

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Hello,

Is it still showing the connect to iTunes sign.. If yes .. Download the software "tiny umbrella" on your PC.. Plug in your iphone .. And kick your iphone out of restore...

hellala

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
Hello,

1) Turn off your phone using Assistive touch (hold the Lock Screen till Slide to power off appear)
2) Plug it into laptop, when you see apple logo appear, keep holding down the home button

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1) Turn off your phone using Assistive touch (hold the Lock Screen till Slide to power off appear)
2) Plug it into laptop, when you see apple logo appear, keep holding down the home button
Seems like assistive touch wouldn't be available in that situation where the phone essentially crashed.

OrthodoxiOS

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Hello,

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

You may see this as a good option.

elanakin

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
The table top method worked!!!

This worked!!! I couldn't believe it but it did. So for anyone else in a jam and when all else has failed and you don't mind risking the device, you could try this method... like I said, it did work for me!!!

And yes, the blank screen turned back on like nothing had happened!!!

Hold down the 'home' button and simultaneously hold the phone firmly on it's top end with the 'power' button depressed against a hard surface for about 10 seconds.

You might feel like you're about to smash your phone, but you must push it firmly against a hard surface (desk/table/cabinet) and it should work.

OrthodoxiOS

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Sweet - my button died rapidly over a week. Just checked the above link and:

"The iPhone 5 serial number you entered is eligible for this program. Please follow the instructions below to have your sleep/wake button replaced."

Thanks for the link :)

No problem! :)

faresalandlos

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Man you are the best i shall thank you million times

sovit

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
It worked! :)

'Costino1', you are a savior. I was going crazy to get it fixed now, as i can't move out of office at this moment. Your trick was really good. Appreciate it.
:D:D:cool::apple:

Ryokated

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015

a lot of people were saying this worked for them, but it doesn't work for me. is there a certain way to hold it, or anything? or am i just super unlucky? i don't know, i didn't find any other method, so i guess this is the only one.

Kev52

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015

Thank you so much for this suggestion, I couldn't believe it actually worked. I even made an account just so I could write this lmao.

Reactions: Costino1

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Thank you so much for this suggestion, I couldn't believe it actually worked. I even made an account just so I could write this lmao.

Ha! Glad it worked. Did for me a few years ago. Had a dead iPhone and i was like crap my button is broke i can't do a hard reset. So i broke my muscles out and smashed it against the desk for a bit and boom...worked.

Glad to help

shaima131

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Ha! Glad it worked. Did for me a few years ago. Had a dead iPhone and i was like crap my button is broke i can't do a hard reset. So i broke my muscles out and smashed it against the desk for a bit and boom...worked.

Glad to help
worked for me too!! thakn you soooooooo much1

Reactions: Costino1

Megzzxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
England

This worked for me, thank you so much! I thought I was going to have to buy a new phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.