Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I never imagined this thread would help out so many people....wow!

Glad everyone managed to fix their phones! I feel honored to help out

wee1

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
This happened to me before...

This MIGHT work and it worked for me with a broken power button.

Hold down the 'home' button and simultaneously hold the phone firmly on it's top end with the 'power' button depressed against a hard surface for about 10 seconds.

You might feel like you're about to smash your phone, but you must push it firmly against a hard surface (desk/table/cabinet) and it should work.

wee1

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
WOW!! my phones power button is toast...so I have been using assistive touch for the last year!! Everything locked up and I tried everything...until i saw this post...push the power button into my table while holding home button and voila!!!!!!

Reactions: Costino1

MHMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015

Hold down the 'home' button and simultaneously hold the phone firmly on it's top end with the 'power' button depressed against a hard surface for about 10 seconds.

You might feel like you're about to smash your phone, but you must push it firmly against a hard surface (desk/table/cabinet) and it should work.

Worked for me. You are awesome. Thanks.

M

nilesh233

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016

it worked for me too! it was an excellent idea. Thank You Very Much

ThanksCostino1

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016

Holy cow dude it worked. Damn. Thanks alot dude from 2012. He probably wont even check this site anymore but I wanna thank. It worked on a iphone 5. Our iphones power button was broken AND somehow the touchscreen's calibration was broken so touching at the bottom of the screen would actually active something at the middle. So Unlocking the lock was impossible.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Holy cow dude it worked. Damn. Thanks alot dude from 2012. He probably wont even check this site anymore but I wanna thank. It worked on a iphone 5. Our iphones power button was broken AND somehow the touchscreen's calibration was broken so touching at the bottom of the screen would actually active something at the middle. So Unlocking the lock was impossible.

Damn, thanks for making a screen name after me :) Nice!

I frequent this site daily. Very good site!

Glad it worked!

Keywan

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2016
Damn, thanks for making a screen name after me :) Nice!

I frequent this site daily. Very good site!

Glad it worked!

You're damn right! Here's another happy iphone-cruncher.
After all, I'm thinking about getting the free sleep button repair, my phone is eligible.

Thanks for the evidence that technical things just sometimes need brute force to get going!

ChelseiDanece

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2016
Hello,

I'm in a pickle. My power button (the top button) is broken, meaning it doesn't work at all. My iPhone locked up and crashed (just frozen while using a particular app) so I tried to reboot but I could not b/c my power button is broken. I got desperate and decided to reformat my iPhone completely.

I hit erase my iPhone (via icloud) and sure enough, my iPhone was erased. Then upon reboot, the phone is stuck at a black screen with a activity indicator view (that spinning circle) and that's it.

Is my iphone 5 dead now? I have connected to iTunes, nothing. I can't enter recovery b/c my power button is completely broken (I had been using assistive touch to use a software power button).

How can I reset this phone to DFU mode without a functioning power button?

Advice would be much appreciated. Apple's solution is to charge me for an entirely new phone because the power button is not a repairable item.

I have had the same problem on multiple occasions, the best method for me (since my power button is completely destroyed) is to put my phone inside the freezer for 10-15 minutes. When the phone drops to a certain temperature, it will freeze the lithium within the battery and eccentrically have the same effect you would have if the phone simply died completely. Once you remove the phone from the freezer, let it take a few minutes to return to room temperature then plug it in. It'll kick back on like nothing ever happen!

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have had the same problem on multiple occasions, the best method for me (since my power button is completely destroyed) is to put my phone inside the freezer for 10-15 minutes. When the phone drops to a certain temperature, it will freeze the lithium within the battery and eccentrically have the same effect you would have if the phone simply died completely. Once you remove the phone from the freezer, let it take a few minutes to return to room temperature then plug it in. It'll kick back on like nothing ever happen!
And what about any moisture/condensation considerations related to any of that?

Sissycobra93

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
You are AWESOME! I froze my husband's phone, it went black. But it would still ring when I called him. I did what you said and it worked !!! Total life saver!

"Costino1, post: 18862817, member: 747763"]This happened to me before...

You might feel like you're about to smash your phone, but you must push it firmly against a hard surface (desk/table/cabinet) and it should work.[/QUOTE]
You are

ChelseiDanece

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2016
And what about any moisture/condensation considerations related to any of that?

There are zero issues with condensation/moisture from my experiences. The phone screen looks exactly as it did before going black each time and there is no damage to ports whatsoever. Its the only technique that I've been successful with in hopes of resetting my iPhone.

detsid

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2016
Is it still showing the connect to iTunes sign.. If yes .. Download the software "tiny umbrella" on your PC.. Plug in your iphone .. And kick your iphone out of restore...

Can some one help me? I have tiny umbrella on my PC now but I can't find the Iphone I am trying to fix...
I know this is an old topic but I would like some help with the same problem that is named in the subject.

pokrajculja

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2016

wow man, thank you a lot. this really helped me :))

Drumstar

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Australia

[doublepost=1477303102][/doublepost] Re Costino1 tip - i just want to say that worked for me! Not sure why, but excellent tip and thanks.:)

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
[doublepost=1477303102][/doublepost]
Re Costino1 tip - i just want to say that worked for me! Not sure why, but excellent tip and thanks.:)

Cool, glad it worked! Never imagined my post on here would be so helpful.

omgitworkedlol

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2017

to be honest, i didn't think it would work. I actually tried it, and it did. omg lol thanks for that!

azret23

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
Hello,

I'm in a pickle. My power button (the top button) is broken, meaning it doesn't work at all. My iPhone locked up and crashed (just frozen while using a particular app) so I tried to reboot but I could not b/c my power button is broken. I got desperate and decided to reformat my iPhone completely.

I hit erase my iPhone (via icloud) and sure enough, my iPhone was erased. Then upon reboot, the phone is stuck at a black screen with a activity indicator view (that spinning circle) and that's it.

Is my iphone 5 dead now? I have connected to iTunes, nothing. I can't enter recovery b/c my power button is completely broken (I had been using assistive touch to use a software power button).

How can I reset this phone to DFU mode without a functioning power button?

Advice would be much appreciated. Apple's solution is to charge me for an entirely new phone because the power button is not a repairable item.

Hold Home button then insert usb cable to charge, your phone should go to recovery mode (itunes icon will appear on the screen). Then using "Reiboot" software you will be able to exit from recovery mode. Wait till phone reboots completely and you are good to go.

meddllddlldd

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2017

yo, your actually a genius!!! it worked, god damn, thanks a lot :)
[doublepost=1486805996][/doublepost]
Ha! Glad it worked. Did for me a few years ago. Had a dead iPhone and i was like crap my button is broke i can't do a hard reset. So i broke my muscles out and smashed it against the desk for a bit and boom...worked.

Glad to help
saaammeee, made an account just to say thanks :)
[doublepost=1486806046][/doublepost]
I never imagined this thread would help out so many people....wow!

Glad everyone managed to fix their phones! I feel honored to help out

destroyeuh

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2017

its 2017 and id thank you so much because it worked, thought the buttons broken and my screens cacked a bit but somehow it worked. Thank You!

mckailiengland

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017

HEY!!! I was panicking because my Iphone wouldn't turn on. I tried this and it worked! It actually worked!!!! I am so happy, thank you so much random person! you saved my weekend!!!!

Harddy

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017

Thanks alooot. It worked!!!

Samticket

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2017

Thank you. It works!!!

baed_doeg

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2017
das dög haus
worked for me, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.