Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I have a lot of pictures / info which I've either dragged to or created a screen shot and saved onto my desktop. I've always been able to open these files to view them without problem.

As of a couple of hours ago, when I try open some of the pictures / files I get "The file couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it" message........ Some pictures / screen shots open fine, others don't open and throw up the message above.

The files which can't be opened have been opened many times in the past. I even airdropped a couple of pics from my iPhone to my desktop and these ate also giving my this message.

Also, I have folders on my desktop which contain pictures and documents previously downloaded and now none of these pictures or docs inside these folders can be opened. Each time I get the "The file couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it" message.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

(I'm using a MacBookPro running MacOS Sierra)

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Update, I thought I'd shutdown and restart the mac to see if that sorted the problem. Pleased to say that all seems to be fine again. All pictures and folders etc are opening as normal.

Don't what caused the glitch but it's sorted now.

I tried to delete the opening post but couldn't see how to delete.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.