Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apiro

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm going to ask for a strange thing but...

Has anyone seen Thunderbolt 3 to eight (or more) USB-A 3.0 ports dock/adapter? (I'm guessing it should be eight as TB3 40 Gbps / USB 3.0 5 Gbps = 8.) Other ports are not necessary. The cheaper the better.

The nearest I've seen is CalDigit TS3 Plus with 7 USB-A/USB-C ports but it's too expensive as it has a lot of other functionality as well.

Thanks in advance!

knownastron

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Is there a USB-C to multiple USB-C hub?

I want to hook up 2 monitors to a single USB-C hub. The 2 Monitors will go HDMI -> USB-C -> Hub -> Macbook.

All the hubs I see usually only have a single USB-C input. I wouldn't mind a hub with 3 USB-C (one for charing) and a couple USB 3.0 as well.

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
Is there a USB-C to multiple USB-C hub?

I want to hook up 2 monitors to a single USB-C hub. The 2 Monitors will go HDMI -> USB-C -> Hub -> Macbook. All the hubs I see usually only have a single USB-C input. I wouldn't mind a hub with 3 USB-C (one for charing) and a couple USB 3.0 as well.

Would something like this StarTech hub this work? It has two USB-C ports and an HDMI port.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
If manufacturers are lying to or misleading consumers, that's NOT the fault of the port or technology. So don't blame USBC or USB Type C for scummy vendors trying to make a quick buck with substandard stuff.

If a company is fraudulently advertising a capability it doesn't have, you return it. File a complaint with the retailer. File a complaint with the FTC or appropriate governing body where you live. In the mean time, do your research and read the reviews before you make your purchase.
I completely disagree. It's not "only a port." The spec is humongous, and it defines all sorts of electrical and data requirements. If you think it's only a connector, then you must believe that black magic makes it all work.

USB.org writes these specs, and their specs have rules for what you can call a product.
If a product supports USB 2.0, you cannot call it a USB 3.0 product; wouldn't you agree? You can't use the USB SuperSpeed logo on a USB 2.0 device. They got that part straight.

But when it comes to "The Connector That Does Everything," they failed. They didn't write labeling and logo requirements, so it's very complicated to figure out what a USB Type-C product will and will not do. This isn't charity; we pay for these products and technology, and as consumers, we're entitled to be protected against scams and rip-offs. If I buy a product with USB Type-C, I should be able to easily find out exactly what it can do.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If you think it's only a connector, then you must believe that black magic makes it all work.

No need to be insulting. I mean, I could respond with saying you're acting like a ********, but that's not productive.

USB.org writes these specs, [...] when it comes to "The Connector That Does Everything," they failed. They didn't write labeling and logo requirements, so it's very complicated to figure out what a USB Type-C product will and will not do.

Yes of course USB.org f'd up.

The labeling and capability matrix could be much clearer and easier for everyday folks to understand and use.

This isn't the fault of a bit of metal and electronics though. The fault lies with the people who created a "universal connector" specification that doesn't bear labeling standards to clearly identify the differing implementations using the connector.

Note that I'm differentiating between the connector (bit of metal and electronics) and the labeling/implementation standards associated with it. That the latter are completely f'd up doesn't make either the port or technology invalid. Perhaps if you're unable to discern the difference between the two you might be confused as to what I previously wrote, but perhaps the above would clarify.

Last edited:

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
No need to be insulting. I mean, I could respond with saying you're acting like a ********, but that's not productive.

Yes of course USB.org f'd up.

The labeling and capability matrix could be much clearer and easier for everyday folks to understand and use.

This isn't the fault of a bit of metal and electronics though. The fault lies with the people who created a "universal connector" specification that doesn't bear labeling standards to clearly identify the differing implementations using the connector.

Note that I'm differentiating between the connector (bit of metal and electronics) and the labeling/implementation standards associated with it. That the latter are completely f'd up doesn't make either the port or technology invalid. Perhaps if you're unable to discern the difference between the two you might be confused as to what I previously wrote, but perhaps the above would clarify.
I think we are in agreement.

Reactions: deeddawg

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
This is why USB-C products are dime a dozen and mostly horrible, and TB3 products are hella expensive, but mostly excellent. USB-C are too easy to make, and TB3 are too hard to make.
I don't know enough about why to make a suggestion other than "something in the middle", though.

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
I’m looking for a rather simple docking station for my MBP.

Must have:
- 1 Gb ethernet
- 4 USB 3.1 (type A)
- Audio out
- Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C connected to host
- Power host with 85 W

Nice to have:
- 10 Gb ethernet
- (at least) 2 video ports (HDMI/DP/mDP)
- Additional TB3/USB-C port for daisy chaining

I will also have an eGPU connected to the MBP, running all displays from there.

There is a bunch of docks out there, but I assume some people here are using one that works flawlessly with macOS.

Thank you for your assistance!

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I’m looking for a rather simple docking station for my MBP.

Must have:
- 1 Gb ethernet
- 4 USB 3.1 (type A)
- Audio out
- Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C connected to host
- Power host with 85 W

Nice to have:
- 10 Gb ethernet
- (at least) 2 video ports (HDMI/DP/mDP)
- Additional TB3/USB-C port for daisy chaining

I will also have an eGPU connected to the MBP, running all displays from there.

There is a bunch of docks out there, but I assume some people here are using one that works flawlessly with macOS.

Thank you for your assistance!
I have never seen one with audio out. Anker in some circles seems to have a good reputation. I have been looking at docks for almost a year now. What bothers me is the negative reviews on most including anker. People says things like it get extremely hot, messes up my wifi, different ports quick working after a while, etc. Getting hot is serious.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
I've decided for my 12" MacBook, I don't like those all-in-on adapters with HDMI and USB and other stuff. For USB-A I use a simple adapter that I carry on my keychain, and for HDMI, I bought a separate 4K 60 Hz adapter that also has a charging port. The adapter is much smaller, and doesn't get hot. I don't need the charging port to run HDMI, but it allows me to charge the MacBook at the same time.

The one I bought is from Cable Matters (via Amazon):

http://www.cablematters.com/pc-893-...sung-galaxy-s8-thunderbolt-3-compatible.aspx#

View attachment 773454

Works great with my 2017 Core m3 12" MacBook. Apparently some adapters don't like the 2017 models, but this one works perfectly.

Here is Exposé at 4K 60 Hz on the 12" MacBook:

I am sorry to dig up your old post, but do you think this version could also work with a MB12 2017? This is the only version i can get in my country. https://www.cablematters.com/pc-899...r-delivery-thunderbolt-3-port-compatible.aspx Is there any alternative with DP 4k/60hz and power? Maybe not from Cable Matters. Thanks for your help.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Probably should work with MacBook, at 4Kp60.

The one I have for 4Kp60 has HDMI and power delivery but no other ports.

I know, i hoped that you might have tested others. So i roll the dice and order one. I will report about the results. Thank you.

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
NC
I need a dock with the following:
4 - USB 3.1 outlets
Dual Monitor Capability (4k would be nice but could live with 2k or even 1080)
Charging
Ethernet would be nice but not necessarily mandatory

I don't want to spend a bundle on a TB3 dock from CalDigit. That's beyond what I would need, imho.

I would also like a decent dongle with USB 3.1 and a HDMI port for when I travel to the beach.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I am sorry to dig up your old post, but do you think this version could also work with a MB12 2017? This is the only version i can get in my country. https://www.cablematters.com/pc-899...r-delivery-thunderbolt-3-port-compatible.aspx Is there any alternative with DP 4k/60hz and power? Maybe not from Cable Matters. Thanks for your help.
CM has several in that "family" of hubs. They're likely all good choices. Mine is very well made.

My desktop monitor has DP, VGA, & DVI-I inputs and the DVI is in use by my desktop computer. Since it is a 2k monitor, I opted for the VGA version since its VGA at 2k/60hz allows it to have USB 3.1 ports. I've used it with my Surface Go for 8-12 hours at a stretch with a PD charger, monitor, ethernet cable, and Logitech mouse dongle attached to the hub and it barely gets warm, unlike some that you could fry an egg on.

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Thoughts choosing between these two for my new MBP? I want a solution to plug in monitor, USB-A keyboard, and power with one plug. My 4K monitor has DisplayPort and HDMI. Will I notice any performance differences between HDMI and DisplayPort? USB-2.0 vs. 3.0 seems not to be a big deal as I have 3 other 3.2 ports on the computer for occasional connection of storage peripherals.

Also open to other suggestions.

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-899...r-delivery-thunderbolt-3-port-compatible.aspx

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-873...r-delivery-thunderbolt-3-port-compatible.aspx

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
The HDMI version only supports 4K@30Hz, while the DisplayPort version supports 4K@60Hz. This explains why the DP version gives you USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 ports.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
A quick question on simultaneous external drives (apologies if answered before): Will a hub manage to connect two external 5400rpm drives via USBA on any USBC machine, irrespective of specs? I currently have a 2019 MBP 4-port unit, and have connected two external drives simultaneously and transferred files between them without issue using a Satechi Hyperdrive, with and without power delivery connected (there is no external power on this hub). Am I correct to assume that it will do the same on a 12" Macbook 2017, or does the 2019 have 'better' USBC ports? Many thanks!

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
FYI Cable Matters hub with Display Port, Ethernet USB 2.0 works like a charm. 4K/60hz and charging without problems with a MB 12“.

Reactions: chewbaka

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
I just wanted to mention to watch out for excessively hot hubs. I picked up a neat little USB-C hub with HDMI, 87w power pass through, a few USB-A 3.1 ports, SDCard slot, Ethernet. It was like $30 on Amazon, they aren’t for sale anymore. It works great - except it gets uncomfortably hot when I’m running power through it. I mean like, kind of burning hot. I ended up just plugging in power separately, just to be on the safe side, and even then it’s still a bit warm.

Anyways, I would advise looking for hubs that at least claim they run cooler than older models.

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Can someone suggest a hub similar to this one (https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Certi...sb+c+hub&qid=1564953290&s=electronics&sr=1-19), but that has power pass through? I basically want something that will give me at least one extra usb-c port and at least one (pref 2) usb 3 port(s). HDMI would be nice but not a dealbreaker. I;ve spent the last hour looking for something like this and wading through all this stuff is work.

I think this is close to what you want.
https://www.cablematters.com/pc-873...r-delivery-thunderbolt-3-port-compatible.aspx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.