Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I have these. They are long, thin and really handy for computer cables and many other uses.

VELCRO Brand ONE-WRAP Cable Ties | 100Pk | 8 x 1/2" Black Cord Organization Straps | Thin Pre-Cut Design | Wire Management for Organizing Home, Office and Data Centers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E1Y5O6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AWSQEb7Y64QZC

Thanks. I think 8” is the best I’m gonna find. It’s cheaper for me to get these wraps instead of getting shorter cables. I’ll see how they end up working.

thhh

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2020
I got myself the CalDigit USB-C dock, which supports TB3 and USB-C.

It’s actually strangely positioned next to the TS3+ in their lineup.

The USB-C dock is newer and cheaper and supports both standards.

mine just works perfect with my MBP 16 as well as my windows laptop!! Not sure why I would go for the more pricey TS3+ when I can have the other one.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Does anyone have any recommendations of a fairly decent bag/wallet/pouch to carry multiple dongles in?

I don't. I'm going to re-fit a bag that my Hydroflask came in when I get some velcro to sew onto it, but I know that Tom Bihn also makes some dongle bags that people like a lot.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Does anyone have any recommendations of a fairly decent bag/wallet/pouch to carry multiple dongles in?

I use cheap transaparent plastic pencil cases of various sizes for leads and dongles....so I can see what's inside without rooting around.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 279
Reactions: Zangoose

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
which one should I go for , the Kingston Nucleum or the Anker 7-1 usb c hub adapter ? for a MacBook Pro 2017
I don't trust amazon reviews

I have a HooToo but I don't like it, sometimes the wifi doesn't work properly when I use that adapter so I'm looking for something better and not too expensive

Last edited:
Reactions: calliex

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
Today would be a good day to grab a CalDigit TS3 Plus from B&H as they have it on sale for only $199,
$50 off Apple's price from their store and cheaper than Amazon who has it for $80 more.

CalDigit TS3 Plus 15-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Space Gray)

Not as good as that deal posted above (I didn't jump on it quickly enough) - but AMZ has it for $229 now, I noticed. That's better than the $249 or $279 I've been finding it at for the last couple months (ever since the above post), so I gave in and snagged one.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
which one should I go for , the Kingston Nucleum or the Anker 7-1 usb c hub adapter ? for a MacBook Pro 2017
I don't trust amazon reviews

I have a HooToo but I don't like it, sometimes the wifi doesn't work properly when I use that adapter so I'm looking for something better and not too expensive
Anker. Anker stuff is always awesome. I have the Anker 7-1 for my iPad Pro and it works great.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I’ve got some old hard drives laying around (mix of SSD and HDD), and I’m wondering where the best enclosures are lately. I once swore by OWC (MacSales). Is that still the best place?

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Anyone have this one?

Looking at options since I just got the new air. I can't decide on one that plugs into the side or a dongle type one.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Anyone have this one?

Looking at options since I just got the new air. I can't decide on one that plugs into the side or a dongle type one.
Depends on how many devices you need to connect.
That hub will turn your 2 usb ports to...
...3 usb ports! 50% increase!
(if those devices need power, you need one usb for power...)

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Depends on how many devices you need to connect.
That hub will turn your 2 usb ports to...
...3 usb ports! 50% increase!
(if those devices need power, you need one usb for power...)

Its mostly for other things as well, HDMI, the card reader etc. I ordered it from amazon and will try it out and see how it goes.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I only know of Thunderbolt externals like the Thunderbolt 3 10g Ethernet.
Okay,
to happily chat here, let me help you and save you from a hard trip to wikipedia for what has happened in last decade:
speeds are Gbit/s

usb35
usb3.1gen210
usb3.210
usb440
tb110
tb220
tb340
tb440
[automerge]1590830912[/automerge]
Its mostly for other things as well, HDMI, the card reader etc. I ordered it from amazon and will try it out and see how it goes.
Seems to be that almost all needs are like that: all different ports in one dongle.
I have a mac mini, so I already have all those other ports and a very good 5 year old usb3 card reader.

Seems to be that 10G is good selling point in all-in-one-dongles, but when it comes to pure usb hubs, nobody asks for 10G. Or people generally don't see the benefit of connecting 3 high speed devices to their computer. 2 is enough.

I guess there's not even a tb hub, for any price, that can connect 3 ssd's with 10G link and also give them power to operate. I find this amazing, when the components for that kind of usb hub cost something like $10.

Last edited:

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Okay,
to happily chat here, let me help you and save you from a hard trip to wikipedia for what has happened in last decade:
speeds are Gbit/s

usb35
usb3.1gen210
usb3.210
usb440
tb110
tb220
tb340
tb440
[automerge]1590830912[/automerge]

Seems to be that almost all needs are like that: all different ports in one dongle.
I have a mac mini, so I already have all those other ports and a very good 5 year old usb3 card reader.

Seems to be that 10G is good selling point in all-in-one-dongles, but when it comes to pure usb hubs, nobody asks for 10G. Or people generally don't see the benefit of connecting 3 high speed devices to their computer. 2 is enough.

I guess there's not even a tb hub, for any price, that can connect 3 ssd's with 10G link and also give them power to operate. I find this amazing, when the components for that kind of usb hub cost something like $10.

Yeah my MacBook Pro 2015 had such a good selection of ports. I don't use them often but when I do I need them. Mostly regular USB ones I use the most. It gets here next week so I can't wait to test it out and see how it works. Do you use any that you particularly like?

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USB4 is going to be such a ******** when it comes to people understanding what the hell they're supposed to buy. Except with cables, I think. I think all cables should be TB3-compatible if they're USB4 and 40gbit rated.

Reactions: malcbo

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah my MacBook Pro 2015 had such a good selection of ports. I don't use them often but when I do I need them. Mostly regular USB ones I use the most. It gets here next week so I can't wait to test it out and see how it works. Do you use any that you particularly like?
I have this:
and this:
an will buy this:
and this:
but more about 3.1gen2 hubs there:
Neverending quest for 10G usb-c hub?

WldWzl

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
I have been trying to find a USB-C hub that works for an entire day. I have an Anker one and one by Uni and with just two USB devices connected to it they start to drop out about half way through the day. Not sure if it is heat related or what.

Is there an option that works consistently? I just need two USB ports and an HDMI.

navier

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Germany
Can someone point me to an affordable USB-C or TB3 ethernet adapter that doesn't require drivers? I've gone through two on Amazon and both required a driver, which I'd like to avoid.
Did you find one? I have a Belkin one, but I it is not so stable... too many packets errors

WldWzl

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
Did you find one? I have a Belkin one, but I it is not so stable... too many packets errors

I am having a hard time finding a good adapter also, I have tried Anker, Aukey, and HooToo, all of them were too unreliable once they heated up.

Reactions: navier

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Yeah, the cheap dongles are a dime a dozen at work. The Apple ones usually work better and longer, but the best I've found is Thunderbolt docks. I've never seen a broken one, in fact. Of course, the sample size is smaller, but still...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.