Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 53.0%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 20.1%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 47 15.5%

• Total voters

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Haven’t found many posts from current surface book users. My last MacBook purchase was a 2015 13” MBP. I’m looking for something new now and the keyboard issues on the new one coupled with the crappy hardware have me wanting to buy something outside of Apple for the first time in 15 years.

I have an iPad mini 2, and I use to love that thing. But after all the updates, it’s become unusable because there is so much lag on opening a tab or scrolling in safari there’s no point to use that thing any longer. Even turning a page in iBooks is glitchy.

I really like the features of the surface book. Just looking for feedback from a former Mac user on their experiences with the surface book. TIA

Whatever you decide on doing, the main thing is to not buy the 128 or 256gb SSD versions of either Surface Book 1 or 2. Their SSDs are excruciatingly slow and provide for a very laggy experience (I had mine for 12 months before I sold it and then bought my brother’s who also hated his for the same reasons). I had made a list of grievances in this thread over a year ago, the SSD issue was only 1 among many.

Others in this thread will swear by the 512 and 1tb versions (as those have higher rated SSDs), I have no experience with those ‘higher-end’ SKUs. But, at this stage, if I were you, I would question why you would be looking to investing in a new device that is now actually 2 years old and yet will pay top cash for.

I’m actually regretting having sold off my 2017 MBP a few months back - its all-round experience was vastly better than this overrated device.
[automerge]1573251658[/automerge]
Microsoft’s latest Surface hardware is now out in the world, and it’s clear that the biggest gamble that the company took with this year’s models — a move away from Intel’s market-dominating processors — hasn’t quite panned out.

Microsoft bet against Intel with its new Surfaces - and lost. - The Verge

Last edited:
Reactions: evoixdan

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
My 13" (along with many others) is having slow wifi speeds from sleep. Same freaking problem I had on the Dell XPS. It's not all roses and glitter on the Intel version either....

I've tried changing the adapters properties but it's still hit and miss. Sometimes it's fine and other time it comes out of sleep at a crawl...

Heh, yep. I’ve never relied on the wake feature on my SB at all... The whole session is rendered positively useless after waking. A shut down is required at all times.

Queen6

macrumors G4
My 1st Gen SB (i7, 256) was fine and remains to be now my daughter has it. Has never failed to wake from sleep or had any lag. My daughters compliant is that the original pen could be better and the GPU is weak which is fair enough, given the SB is not gaming centric.

Personally I'm sitting out MS for the Neo and the 15" SB3 hopefully with RTX 2060...

Q-6

Reactions: evoixdan

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
My 1st Gen SB (i7, 256) was fine and remains to be now my daughter has it. Has never failed to wake from sleep or had any lag. My daughters compliant is that the original pen could be better and the GPU is weak which is fair enough, given the SB is not gaming centric.

Personally I'm sitting out MS for the Neo and the 15" SB3 hopefully with RTX 2060...

Q-6
Mine (13") has been fine for the most part other than the slow Wifi out of sleep which is maddening..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, I've been testing the 15" AMD Surface Laptop, and I'm constantly shifting between "Woah", "Meh" and "Yikes".
From the reviews, i've read that appears to sum up everything :)

Battery life and general performance are kind of sluggish
Others have reported subpar battery performance and that's just not right, not for this class of machine. I guess to get to the documented long battery life Microsoft turned the brightness all the way down, not really real world usage.

So Microsoft made both the computer and the OS, doesn't it stand to reason that the computer would be largely stable?
Yep, but things happen, even Apple can struggle with hardware/software harmony, and they've been producing both since the first day of their existence.

afallnstar

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle
Just snagged a Surface Pro X to replace mt 12.9" iPad Pro Gen 3. So far it's amazing. I may snag an 11" iPad Pro for on the couch browsing, but for a productivity focused device, this Surface Pro X is amazing.

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Are there any decent laptops anymore that don’t have constant issues?

just checked out a bunch of reviews on the Razer blade 15. BSOD is still a constant thing? Are you kidding me.
I’d rather have no gaming ability on my laptop and rock a lousy new MBP with a crappy keyboard than deal with constant BSOD when you’re running off the battery Life or deal with slow SSD speeds on a $2000 laptop.
Can’t believe Apple is still the most reliable option after all this time.

So depressing. I really don’t want to give Apple another dime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014

just checked out a bunch of reviews on the Razer blade 15. BSOD is still a constant thing? Are you kidding me.
I’d rather have no gaming ability on my laptop and rock a lousy new MBP with a crappy keyboard than deal with constant BSOD when you’re running off the battery Life or deal with slow SSD speeds on a $2000 laptop.

It is (depressing). I love my Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen and will continue to use it. But, I admit, I’m 1% away from buying an MBP again and am 0.5% away from selling the SB2. Sick of the issues after two SB2’s. Only had one problem with the MBP (2017 13”) which was a failed SSD, but then had no issues whatsoever with the replacement (neither has my buyer - she’s been using it for a few months now with no issues at all).

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

How so? the MacBook keyboard has reliable issue's and razer Is not the only laptop out there.

Check out the ThinkPad.they are the most reliable

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe

From your post one could almost get the impression that there are only 2 brands in the world: PC and Apple.

In reality there are dozens of brands and models (with virtually no issues) to choose from on the PC side. With MBP's you are stuck with one brand. If this one brand makes products with issues (like keyboards) you have nowhere else to go.

The situation is not as bleak or as black and white as you envision it.

Reactions: Never mind

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
From your post one could almost get the impression that there are only 2 brands in the world: PC and Apple.

In reality there are dozens of brands and models (with virtually no issues) to choose from on the PC side. With MBP's you are stuck with one brand. If this one brand makes products with issues (like keyboards) you have nowhere else to go.

The situation is not as bleak or as black and white as you envision it.

Please share these “dozens of brands and models” you believe are comparable to the razer blade 15, surface book 2 15 or MBP 15 with Vega 20 GPU.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Please share these “dozens of brands and models” you believe are comparable to the razer blade 15, surface book 2 15 or MBP 15 with Vega 20 GPU.

You moved the goalposts. Your original claim was: "Are there any decent laptops anymore that don’t have constant issues?". I simply responded to that. You did not state that they all had to be comparable to a certain type and model. You just added that now. But that does not change a thing. As said: there are a lot of comparable laptops without 'constant issues' manufactured by Lenovo, HP, Asus, Acer etc.

Reactions: Never mind

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
You moved the goalposts. Your original claim was: "Are there any decent laptops anymore that don’t have constant issues?". I simply responded to that. You did not state that they all had to be comparable to a certain type and model. You just added that now. But that does not change a thing. As said: there are a lot of comparable laptops without 'constant issues' manufactured by Lenovo, HP, Asus, Acer etc.

If I’m talking about a high end laptop like the blade 15 or maxed out surface pro 2, clearly I’m talking about a specific class of laptop. Of course there are dozens of decent laptops if all you want to do is browse this website or stream Netflix but if someone posts complaining about high end laptops, one would think that’s what they were referring to. I didn’t realize I needed to put training wheels on for this conversation.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Okay so yesterday my Surface Laptop 3 13" was returned. I could not for the life of my get Wifi to cooperate. MS said they thought it was defective and wanted to exchange it....

In a twist, I snagged the 15" Surface Laptop 3 but I got the business version that comes with 10 Pro installed and the 10th gen intel i7 chip.....

I'll post a review on the 15" with the intel chip after I've had some time to play with it...

I was able to get the bizz version as the joint I retired from has a relationship with several places, Microsoft included, that gives me access to discounts and other options that don't normally exist for others..

I briefly played with it yesterday and no wifi disconnects from sleep. I understand since I got the intel version of the 15" that it has the same WiFi but I figured I'd try and see....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.