Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
So what're your thoughts on this one? This really has piqued my interest and I can see it as a replacement for my iPad and can double up quite successfully as a laptop. Moreso than the surface pro 7.

Big 13 inch screen, 3 by 2 aspect (which I love)
8 or 16GB DDR4
Up to 512GB SSD
LTE
Runs standard Windows 10, although I believe it comes with Pro as it is more aimed at business
Swap out the SSD with ease

But, the SQ1 chip, there must be limitations there, just not sure what they are yet. I suspect though it should be a good performer and push the battery to last more than than the pro.

This unit just seems a bit more like a proper tablet/laptop hybrid than the Surface Pro or in fact, the iPad will ever be.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's interesting but I reserve my urge until it's compatibility is known with W10

I don't buy IOS or Android mobile OS tablets anymore as I need a full OS with a KB/TP and Mouse

I had the SP4 when it first came out and liked it but decided I prefer a 15" for home use and a smaller device as a companion like the GO so the NEO and SL 15 has more appeal :)

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Having read a few articles I am already a bit concerned on compatibility, I don't know enough about it but key software like anti-virus won't work apparently, some basic windows functions we take for granted won't work. Will need to read more about it.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Your going to need to do some homework for the X as from what little I've read on the early Arm based W10 systems compatability is an issue and likely will be until the platform gains greater traction.

Microsoft getting into the game should help to accelerate adoption and improve compatibility. For now I'll stick with Intel, and see how Arm is fairing once Neo is launched. TBH this also fits neatly into my hardware update schedule.

Randomly:

Q-6

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Yeah, I would be looking at mid-2020 anyway, happy with the S940 and the iPad for now, if it was intel rather than arm I could have changed that but I am not keen on being an early adopter. There has to be a translator between Windows and the CPU and I would want to see how that fairs at someone elses expense :)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yeah, I would be looking at mid-2020 anyway, happy with the S940 and the iPad for now, if it was intel rather than arm I could have changed that but I am not keen on being an early adopter. There has to be a translator between Windows and the CPU and I would want to see how that fairs at someone elses expense :)
I do not think it's so much being a early adopter, it's knowing what software is or not available which is the same compromise many make with Mobile OS tablets already over full OS :)

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I do not think it's so much being a early adopter, it's knowing what software is or not available which is the same compromise many make with Mobile OS tablets already over full OS :)

Indeed, although with an intel chip it wouldn't be a consideration, everything would just work.

It's not just about the available software, adding an emulation layer between the chip and OS means potential performance issues amongst others. I have seen some reviews also suggesting some basic windows functionality is either missing or neutered in some way as a result. Windows RT springs to mind.

Will give it time, once it in the hands of people more will come out, but yeah, still feels like early adoption given new chips and emulation.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Many bring up the iPad Pro when talking about the Surface Pro X. Does the iPP (and iPads in general) have an ARM chip?

All I know is the heat dissipation with Apple's A chips are not there. There's no way I'd buy a Mac with one unless there was excellent cooling on board.

I know this is a different subject than the ARM chip not being compatible with Windows, just wondering.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All of Apples Ax chips are based on the Arm-64 architecture. Apple-designed and built of course.
Yes and the rumor of the MBPs moving to ARM is stronger then ever as well. So like MS, Apple maybe embracing ARM to a greater extent for general computing.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Many bring up the iPad Pro when talking about the Surface Pro X. Does the iPP (and iPads in general) have an ARM chip?

All I know is the heat dissipation with Apple's A chips are not there. There's no way I'd buy a Mac with one unless there was excellent cooling on board.

I know this is a different subject than the ARM chip not being compatible with Windows, just wondering.
I'd dispute that, at least on my older version of the iPad Pro. It can pretty well run indefinitely at it's stated clock speed, no need to throttle back to cool off... I can't find an equivalent test for the newer models, but I see no reason they wouldn't perform in a similar manner, as in both cases the newer chips are built on a smaller, cooler node...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yes and the rumor of the MBPs moving to ARM is stronger then ever as well. So like MS, Apple maybe embracing ARM to a greater extent for general computing.
Thanks
I'd dispute that, at least on my older version of the iPad Pro. It can pretty well run indefinitely at it's stated clock speed, no need to throttle back to cool off... I can't find an equivalent test for the newer models, but I see no reason they wouldn't perform in a similar manner, as in both cases the newer chips are built on a smaller, cooler node...

I appreciate that.

While I spit balling the bolded, all 8 of the iPads I've tried these past two years including the 2017 iPad Pro became unreasonably hot when the Arm chip was pushed.

Screen irresponsiveness set in after the Arm chip heated up and the back cover became almost too hot to touch. Once for downloading movies over WiFi at the Apple Store and in every other instance, I was using Procreate with the Apple 1st gen pencil.

This is my experience with all iPads except the 2018 iPad Pros and this new 2019 iPad.

I've heard this wasn't as bad an issue with the first gen iPad Pro, but needless to say I am very skittish with Apple's ARM chips (my 8+ occasionally shows touch irresponsiveness too).

At any rate, I am not trying to derail the thread, I just know I will not have the patience to be an early adopter of Windows Arm chip (or a Mac running on Arm either). It's a shame because I love the idea of the Surface Pro X almost as much as the iPad Pros.

Reactions: Falhófnir

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
My goal is to have one device to replace both phone and laptop. It's either something like the Galaxy Note 10+ than can dock and transform to a laptop or something like the always on Surface Pro X with cellular option.

Reactions: Mendota

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Well, I returned my ipad pro 12.9 due to this thing. It looks very promising, given promised battery time, screen and the fact that you can run full suite of MSOffice and VSCode.

Only thing I was perplexed with, is why do they still have this surface connect port? It'll be a major dissapointment, if they'll remove charging through USB-C.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well, I returned my ipad pro 12.9 due to this thing. It looks very promising, given promised battery time, screen and the fact that you can run full suite of MSOffice and VSCode.

Only thing I was perplexed with, is why do they still have this surface connect port? It'll be a major dissapointment, if they'll remove charging through USB-C.
The surface connect port is multi functional with the Surface Hub and free's up the USB-C port from charging and you do not have to buy a multi charge USB-C adaptor ie more options :)

If its like the GO and other surface devices you can charge via the connect port or USB-C

Reactions: Mendota

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like it because its similar in nature to apple's magsafe port, that is a charging solution that will release if tugged on, i.e., the computer won't fall to the floor. It is superfluous with the advent of USB-C, but its something that I like

Queen6

macrumors G4

If the port is not capable of charging then Microsoft should not label it as USB C as that's intrinsic to the standard. There's no reason to suspect that the USB C port isn't capable of charging as Acer did the same with the Switch 5 line having a standard barrel port for charging and USB C with Power Delivery .

Huawei did initially in the first MateBook X have one port for charging and one for data, equally they rapidly dropped that scenario and I think they also renamed one of the ports. Basically early adoption at a lower price point.

IMO Acer and now Microsoft's choice is better as you can always use the proritary charger if you have need to use all the USB ports.

Q-6

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
If the port is not capable of charging then Microsoft should not label it as USB C as that's intrinsic to the standard.

I saw this:

Notably, the Surface Pro X doesn’t use its USB-C port for charging. While a USB-C charger will presumably fill up your tablet if you plug one in, you’ll still need to carry the Surface Connector for reliable power.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I saw this:

Notably, the Surface Pro X doesn’t use its USB-C port for charging. While a USB-C charger will presumably fill up your tablet if you plug one in, you’ll still need to carry the Surface Connector for reliable power.

TBH with the X I don't know, however it's technically possible as I own an Acer Switch 5 and it charges via either port. If the X is incapable of charging via USB C it's a miss step by MS, or potentially a limitation of the custom chip set.

Ultimately don't know as haven't looked at the X physically. Have seen the new Huawei Arm based MateBook E, seemed ok on a very casual look. Not for me as only a single USB C and more tablet than notebook focused, and TBH chipset (Snapdragon 850) is already outdated; 8CX etc. Prefer my UMCP (i7-8500Y) with 2in1 as it's a Yoga style 360 hinge, not the folio cover type which I tend to dislike, needing to have the cover just to set the computer upright on the table.

Switch 5 and MS Surface with kickstands being a far more elegant solution all round.

Q-6

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I suspect the article I got that from is doing a 'not been confirmed' type of statement, however, I agree if its USB-C it will charge. It is simply that Microsoft is not using it as the primary charging port. I am going to make a wild guess the reason for that is that they still have accessories such as a dock that uses the surface connect and if you bought one for a different device it will still work on the X. But you will probably be able to get a USB-C charger / dock in time.

Microsoft are not quite at the Apple stage of **** you, pay me for this new accessory which you need as your old one won't work.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Thr Surface Pro X is seriously ticking all the boxes for me. I know it’s overkill but I wish it had a 4K/HDR screen.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Thr Surface Pro X is seriously ticking all the boxes for me. I know it’s overkill but I wish it had a 4K/HDR screen.

Not interested in a 4k screen, I prefer the longer battery life, a 4k screen will take hours of it.

But agree, it ticks mostly everything for me, just want to have someone take a proper and look and see what the limitations are on the SQ1.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not interested in a 4k screen, I prefer the longer battery life, a 4k screen will take hours of it.

But agree, it ticks mostly everything for me, just want to have someone take a proper and look and see what the limitations are on the SQ1.

I remain concerned regarding SW and the X's chipset as compatibility is important, equally I'd like to see ARM progress and gain traction. Intel is far from EOL, but they do need serious completion to see movement, similar to Apple for lack of better words "lazy & greedy" more accurately controlled progression to benefit the shareholder at cost to the customer...

Agree smaller form factor displays 2K is more than adequate and on a mobile platform arguably battery life is the defining factor.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeW

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I saw this:

That's poorly written IMO

Probably as many have quite low power USB-C chargers on their phones where Samsung standard fast charger is similar output to my GO charger

Same for the pro it will only trickle charge if your USB-C charger is a low power unit compared to the one supplied :rolleyes:

Reactions: LeeW and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.