Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I must say I am disappointed with MS offerings in 2019 other than SP7

As Q-6 notes, know your poison with the SPX and even the SL 15" but someone needs to start the ball rolling

We can see in some comments above experience have been marred by faulty display units lack of understanding and even putting it in to tablet mode

However what seems worse is assuming the Surface line of tablets and others are expected to behave ala IPads

For many opting for a full OS tablet is too get away from coffee table toys and embrace a form factor for convenience and not to mimic a mobile platform short comings over being able to swipe with mits the size of a bunch of bananas

It does not matter how smart or fast an Ipad is, it simply cannot run the wealth of professional software available on a full OS, if this is not key to you then enjoy a Mobile Platform OS.

That works both ways. It doesn't matter what "wealth of professional software" a tablet can run if it sucks as as a tablet. I think MS realizes this and that is why Windows 10X is coming.

Reactions: ErikGrim

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
That works both ways. It doesn't matter what "wealth of professional software" a tablet can run if it sucks as as a tablet. I think MS realizes this and that is why Windows 10X is coming.
Ohh but it does and that is why full OS tablets are not in the same mold as Mobile OS tablets and is exactly my point

I have seen it many times where users are stuck in one mindset. Too the point one new surface pro owner thought apps/progs were only available in the MS store

Your definition of a good tablet seems far removed from my one

That does not detract from an Ipad being useful to some, but not in my books especially as most good smart phones cover the majority of the functionality and specifically on watches even more. Which is typical Apple stinting one device to promote another purchase

MS 2 in 1's and tablets have brought and encouraged an extra dimension and functionality to many users who would otherwise be coerced in to buying multiple devices and play across OS's in the Apple ECO.

Reactions: Queen6

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Ohh but it does and that is why full OS tablets are not in the same mold as Mobile OS tablets and is exactly my point

I have seen it many times where users are stuck in one mindset. Too the point one new surface pro owner thought apps/progs were only available in the MS store

Your definition of a good tablet seems far removed from my one

Definitely. I prefer a tablet to work best primarily as a tablet with applications that are created for a tablet. Windows 10 and Windows 10 apps simply does not fit that bill. Hopefully 10X will do better in that regard.

That does not detract from an Ipad being useful to some, but not in my books especially as most good smart phones cover the majority of the functionality and specifically on watches even more. Which is typical Apple stinting one device to promote another purchase

Typical for every corporation ever, you mean. Did you see the MS commercial for Neo stinting for the Duo? But if smart phones cover the majority of the functionality then that is a criticism against an Surface Pro tablet as much as it is against iPad.

MS 2 in 1's and tablets have brought and encouraged an extra dimension and functionality to many users who would otherwise be coerced in to buying multiple devices and play across OS's in the Apple ECO.

So will MS be "coercing" users to buy Duo along with Neo next year? You make it sound like people are being forced to buy products. Sorry....people buy products they found value in. This is not some nefarious plot where people are tricked into purchases. Either way, seems MS is moving to multiple devices with more definitive purpose than 2-in-1s. Sounds like Apple's playbook and I'm excited to see it. I would rather have multiple devices that do what they are designed to do well.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I must say I am disappointed with MS offerings in 2019 other than SP7

As Q-6 notes, know your poison with the SPX and even the SL 15" but someone needs to start the ball rolling

We can see in some comments above experience have been marred by faulty display units lack of understanding and even putting it in to tablet mode

However what seems worse is assuming the Surface line of tablets and others are expected to behave ala IPads

For many opting for a full OS tablet is too get away from coffee table toys and embrace a form factor for convenience and not to mimic a mobile platform short comings over being able to swipe with mits the size of a bunch of bananas

It does not matter how smart or fast an Ipad is, it simply cannot run the wealth of professional software available on a full OS, if this is not key to you then enjoy a Mobile Platform OS.

Same here, I'd like the X to develop, equally I'd be real careful of the usage before I bought one. I'd view it like my UMPC as a device that's more capable than a mobile OS tablet, yet limited in capability, likely more so given the current state of Windows on ARM.

15" SL3 is a decent notebook, however overpriced for what it offers, even the new MBP offers better value and that's saying something...

Q-6

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Definitely. I prefer a tablet to work best primarily as a tablet with applications that are created for a tablet. Windows 10 and Windows 10 apps simply does not fit that bill. Hopefully 10X will do better in that regard.

Typical for every corporation ever, you mean. Did you see the MS commercial for Neo stinting for the Duo?

So will MS be "coercing" users to buy Duo along with Neo next year? You make it sound like people are being forced to buy products. Sorry....people buy products they found value in. This is not some nefarious plot where people are tricked into purchases. Either way, seems MS is moving to multiple devices with more definitive purpose than 2-in-1s. Sounds like Apple's playbook and I'm excited to see it. I would rather have multiple devices that do what they are designed to do well.
I think it's best you stick to your definition of a what a tablet is and I will stick to my one :)

I don't buy a different car for every journey I take and I certainly do not buy a different device for every piece of software I use

I like shades of grey and not Apples more black and white.

The Neo should work with any phone and the Duo should work with any laptop, it will be interesting to see how far cross platform support and functionality is in 2020. I hope they do not squeeze out the GO as i would like to see an upgrade on that format.

However back on topic , SPX has some way to go yet to get me interested and the SP7 seems a safer bet currently

Reactions: Queen6

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I think it's best you stick to your definition of a what a tablet is and I will stick to my one :)

I don't buy a different car for every journey I take and I certainly do not buy a different device for every piece of software I use

What if your journey takes you to a bike trail? One size fits all has its own challenges.

I like shades of grey and not Apples more black and white.

Fair enough

The Neo should work with any phone and the Duo should work with any laptop, it will be interesting to see how far cross platform support and functionality is in 2020. I hope they do not squeeze out the GO as i would like to see an upgrade on that format.

However back on topic , SPX has some way to go yet to get me interested and the SP7 seems a safer bet currently

Yep. And the price difference between the two is very strange. SP7 is certainly the better purchase although I still wish it had thunderbolt 3 ports which would make it more appealing from a laptop perspective.

Reactions: gxxr

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Interesting write up but it seems like the exception rather than the rule. I have yet to come across anyone that has used it and not said "too early" don't buy it.

Reactions: ErikGrim

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Love mine and haven't and won't be returning it. Replaced a pro 5. I still have my desktop so the few compatibility concerns at this point don't bother me. Dropbox's response has been pathetic so I'll be shifting to Onedrive, good riddance.

For a one-and-only machine, I would agree with you.

Reactions: Queen6 and LeeW

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Good feedback. I am considering getting one of these for work use, instead of our usual Dell. Basic usage, email, office 365 and presentations. This seems like it work well for a travel laptop.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Love mine and haven't and won't be returning it. Replaced a pro 5. I still have my desktop so the few compatibility concerns at this point don't bother me. Dropbox's response has been pathetic so I'll be shifting to Onedrive, good riddance.

For a one-and-only machine, I would agree with you.
Dropbox doesn't work on it? Guess the Surface X is out of the picture for me. Unfortunately, that's a dealbreaker.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
It is a dealbreaker (unfortunately for dropbox). Lots of unhappy folks for whom this is the last straw:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It is a dealbreaker (unfortunately for dropbox). Lots of unhappy folks for whom this is the last straw:
That's actually kind of a big bummer. Doesn't look like Dropbox is announcing anything; I wonder if Microsoft has removed the necessary APIs to enable Explorer integration like on Win32/64.

Looks like my iPad Pro has better Dropbox support than the Surface X does at the moment.

While there's other options like OneDrive, Dropbox is the only one that currently works for me on my work PCs as well as my home/personal PCs. For whatever reason, my workplace's IT department has decided to block access to OneDrive -- I'm sure it's for HIPAA data security, but it severely limits my productivity for non-HIPAA data like teaching, making work schedules, etc. Dropbox, however, works fine on our IT managed PCs (at least for now!).

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Interesting write up but it seems like the exception rather than the rule. I have yet to come across anyone that has used it and not said "too early" don't buy it.
It's not an exception. Everybody I know who actually RESEARCHED it and knew its limitations going in, love it. It's the people who dont know it cant run anything like Adobe CC that are the ones saying its to early. Heck it can run more than my Surface RT can and when I bought it i wasnt dissapointed at all because I knew what I was getting into. If i am paying 100's of dollars on something I sure as heck am going to research it. It's like just going out and buying a tv thats expensive because it has no bezels and is 70ft wide but only does 1080p because you didnt do any research and now have a device that costs more than other tvs that can run 4k.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
It's like just going out and buying a tv thats expensive because it has no bezels and is 70ft wide but only does 1080p because you didnt do any research and now have a device that costs more than other tvs that can run 4k
So the Surface Pro X is like buying a 1080p TV in the age of 4K. Got it.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
So the Surface Pro X is like buying a 1080p TV in the age of 4K. Got it.
not what I meant at all. It's the lack of researching and knowing its limits before buying it so you arent buying an expensive 1080p tv but a 4k because you researched. That's all it is, all the people bought the X and were upset when they could't run something like Autocad on it but if they would have researched before they would know. The people that are happy about it, knew the limits of the mahchine and were happy. Honestly it's not their fault or microsoft's fault and they shouldnt have to research in the first place but because most staff at retail stores are 1) ignorant about the products they sell 2)sell them what the costumer wants just because it looks nicer without explaining anything about it. 3) just not engaging with the customer and asking them what they intend to do with it and sell them the machine they need instead of upselling them,

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Everybody I know who actually RESEARCHED it and knew its limitations going in

No, it is actually more than that. Performance issues are cited as the primary reason. Compatibility is up there, of course but in relation to the most basic compatibility of software. Don't assume that it is a lack of research just because it fits your narrative.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
No, it is actually more than that. Performance issues are cited as the primary reason. Compatibility is up there, of course but in relation to the most basic compatibility of software. Don't assume that it is a lack of research just because it fits your narrative.
and if people did their research they would realize its using an ARM processor and realize they arent going to get something equivalent to an AMD/Intel processor. From the people I know and most of the reviews I have ready said it has great performance as long as you stay away from anything emulated, which people using this device should do. Once again people doing research would have known they take a hit on performance when running x86 apps emulated. Same with OS X when it transitioned from power PC to intel and had to emulate PPC apps using rosetta, or even when running OS9 Apps in OS X.

Reactions: cis4life

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
and if people did their research they would realize its using an ARM processor and realize they arent going to get something equivalent to an AMD/Intel processor. From the people I know and most of the reviews I have ready said it has great performance as long as you stay away from anything emulated, which people using this device should do. Once again people doing research would have known they take a hit on performance when running x86 apps emulated. Same with OS X when it transitioned from power PC to intel and had to emulate PPC apps using rosetta, or even when running OS9 Apps in OS X.

One could research what sex is like but until you actually try it, you don't really know, now do you? ?

Seriously, I get what you are saying, but some are just not going to understand the limitations of the X until they try it. The fact that Surface Pro X costs $100 more than the 7 may be throwing some folks off a bit.

Either way, no amount of research is going to replicate experiencing a product first hand.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I recently got the Surface Pro X with the Signature Keyboard and Pen and also got the iPad 12.9 Pro today. I have always used an iPad since Gen 1 and have been using the 11 Pro since it came out.

Main use would be for work (travel a lot) and personal for browsing, MS Office, presentations and email. So far, I really like the Surface Pro X despite being an Apple Fanboy. Love the kickstand and super slim design. I wish the Apple would copy the kickstand. Also, like the fact that the Surface keyboard has a trackpad and can have real mouse capabilities.

Early iPad Pro 12.9 impressions are that is seems huge compared to the Surface Pro X and much bigger than my 11 Pro. Biggest plus is the Apple ecosystem, which I am really tied into and also that my text/imessages are available. Display also seems slightly better in color and depth.

Will continue really testing the next week and also test the LTE capabilities as traveling to Canada this weekend.

MS did do a great job on the Surface Pro X, at least those are my thoughts so far.

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
A couple more updates. The Surface Pro X has amazingly fast charging. Apple needs to copy this too.

Also, both my son and I think the iPad Pro needs a major refresh on design. The 12.9 looks outdated compared to the Surface Pro X.

I am so tied up into Apple's ecosystem, I doubt I could change. We shall see. Will post more updates as I compare the two more indepth. :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
@GDF thanks for the comparisons.

I liked the 11" iPP, but my ongoing issues with touch and pencil irresponsiveness finally pushed me away recently.

Curious to see how the SPX evolves.

Looking forward to more updates on your SPX usage.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The Surface X is quite interesting to me, but there's apparently a few software incompatibilities that are deal-killers for me currently. Dropbox integration with the file explorer is the main one.

If Apple can do macOS on ARM without these same kind of software incompatibilities, that would be awesome.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Does anyone have an update on what they think of the Surface Pro X? Have any of the software updates made this a machine to recommend?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Does anyone have an update on what they think of the Surface Pro X? Have any of the software updates made this a machine to recommend?
Dave as you know until recently you though all Win10 apps/progs were all in the MS store :) and not the 100000's elsewhere ie the biggest library available

Here's a link on some users postings on works/does not work doubt there will be many you or I use

Issues with reading, send msg or calls etc is an Iphone issue not the SPX, you should be fine with Samsung Android device your thinking about

Dropbox may be a shame for some but many now have up to 6 family members with 1TB free each on onedrive with secure folders, PC back-up and works across all platforms and devices

I doubt for your usage there would be issues, but I thought you were going down SB3 route :)

Reactions: Dave245
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.