Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpenc

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
Swan was considered a very high quality American PC maker in the early 90's. I bought a Swan 386sx/20 laptop in 1992 but was sad to learn it was made in Korea. It was, however, a reliable machine for the next 5 years.

Swan had a stellar reputation during the earlier days of mail-order PC's (c. late 80's early 90's).

I decided against Swan and bought a Northgate. A 486-DX50. Northgate was a higher quality brand back then. Until I plugged in the Teco monitor they decided to substitute for my Panasonic. We heard a loud snap at the dinner table. What was that? My Teco blew up. So much for my pro-Northgate feelings. The Teco went back (at their expense) and they Fed Ex'd a new Panasonic the very next day.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This was the Swan computer that came to my mind when I saw the title...
lost_apple_ii_3.jpg

i can't believe u'd actually look at a PCB board and solder.. by hand and expect it to work always

tateofpa

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
Penn State College
Does anyone recall this mail order company?

I bought my first mail order PC from them based on an ad in the old 2" thick Computer Shopper catalog.

I bought the turbo xt model complete with the turbo button to really kick it into high gear!

Did Swan morph into any worthwhile company?:)

In fact, I still have it!
I use to work in the tech support of Swan and Taylor was my boss a group of us ended up @ NEC in Mass. when they bought them out. Love working @ Swan had a blast, not so much for NEC, did a year and then came back to PA.

Reactions: nullport

nullport

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2019
I use to work in the tech support of Swan and Taylor was my boss a group of us ended up @ NEC in Mass. when they bought them out. Love working @ Swan had a blast, not so much for NEC, did a year and then came back to PA.
[doublepost=1549609550][/doublepost]I was also there at the end. I was one of those that didn't go to NEC/Packard Bell.

mostly.water

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2019
[doublepost=1549609550][/doublepost]I was also there at the end. I was one of those that didn't go to NEC/Packard Bell.

I worked there right up through the auction. It was surreal, wrapping pallets of equipment and parts, and taking them to the docks for the winning bidders. Afterward we threw a packing tape football around the huge, empty space. I had only been there a year, but I had hoped to make my way from the production line up to R&D eventually. It wasn't meant to be, unfortunately.

Ctrl+Alt+Del

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
I worked there up to about '93 or '94 on Research Drive, Cato Park. Excellent group of people, throughout. We treated the customers well (tech support, sales, everyone), and the customers appreciated the quality and service we provided. I bought a 486 VESA-Bus PC under our "employee discount" - it was still over $3,000 !!! When stuff started moving to Massachusetts, I wanted to stay in the State College area, and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to move to Raytheon, right up the road in Science Park.

GDRobins

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2021
I had a swan PC, I can't remember if it was an XT or a 386-25. It came with a lifetime warrenty. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.