Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Actually no, hence why vast majority of businesses are run on Windows. If anything it's macOS that's limited for professional use due to the lack of software options.

Windows crime is it's complexity and requirement to support legacy software. As much as I like OS X Apple has no real interest in promoting it professionally or advancing the OS.

Q-6
Well, I would not say Windows is too complex. I think Windows is pretty simple to use.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
For some it is, hence why they have problems. Personally I'm fine with W10

Q-6
Raises hand. I love, love, love some of the hardware. W10, not so much. At this time, it’s too much to learn for me. My problems were simple (eternal update times and my messing up mouse settings). My fears of seriously screwing up an expensive computer linger. I know I can ask, but real life is the other major issue preventing me from jumping in.

I do appreciate this sub forum because everyone continues to be so helpful.

I will try VLC as a substitute for iTunes and the TV app. Thinking I’ll give a Linux install a whirl too.

I absolutely loathe what’s become of iTunes —especially the TV app- and being forced to deal being online in order to see what movies are already installed on an iDevice.

I am glad I did not spend a lot on this 2017 MBA which is barely used right now. Perhaps it will become the Linux test machine.

At any rate, I do not hate W10, I am just not ready to jump. I suspect once I get an iTunes substitute going that should go a long way in determining what I do next.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Raises hand. I love, love, love some of the hardware. W10, not so much. At this time, it’s too much to learn for me. My problems were simple (eternal update times and my messing up mouse settings). My fears of seriously screwing up an expensive computer linger. I know I can ask, but real life is the other major issue preventing me from jumping in.

I will try VLC as a substitute for iTunes and the TV app. Thinking I’ll give a Linux install a whirl too.

I absolutely loathe what’s become of iTunes —especially the TV app- and being forced to deal being online in order to see what movies are already installed on an iDevice.

I am glad I did not spend a lot on this 2017 MBA which is barely used right now. Perhaps it will become the Linux test machine.

At any rate, I do not hate W10, I am just not ready to jump. I suspect once I get an iTunes substitute going that should goa long way in determining what I do next.

I use the W10's Films & TV app or MPC-HC X64 and Movist on OS X for local content. I don't purchase any films etc. from Apple as I want to be able to watch across multiple platforms and not be forced into a specific application such as iTunes.

I also blocked the MS video and music app in the firewall as it's none of Microsoft's business what I watch or listen to, same applies to Apple...

Q-6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I use the W10's Films & TV app or MPC-HC X64 and Movist on OS X for local content. I don't purchase any films etc. from Apple as I want to be able to watch across multiple platforms and not be forced into a specific application such as iTunes.

I also blocked the MS video and music app in the firewall as it's none of Microsoft's business what I watch or listen to, same applies to Apple...

Q-6
Great info as usual.

I have software that nixes the Apple only watching problem. On Macs, it doesn’t work post Sierra, but that’s fine.

I finally am working with VLC: still need iTunes on the main Mac to load movies into the directory I use with VLC’s file sharing on these iDevices, but so glad I do not need internet just to see what is on the device. As Celestial has stopped uploading Shaw Brothers movies to iTunes, I think my buying movies on iTunes is winding down.

Makes me feel good that I can circumvent Apple’s totalitarian BS. Makes want to try moving away from Mac more seriously.

Am definitely considering installing Linux. If I can find image editing & screenwriting software that works in Linux, awesome. After that, it’s just finding out if any drawing apps work with Linux too, so I can use a Wacom.

My needs for design software have tanked (No regrets supporting Affinity though).

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Are you sure you want to use Linux for image design? I bet, you will save lot of energy and sleep (efforts) if you use Mac for that instead.

Reactions: 0989382

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX

At any rate, I do not hate W10, I am just not ready to jump. I suspect once I get an iTunes substitute going that should go a long way in determining what I do next.
there is always Winamp lol. The first media player ever.

Reactions: kazmac

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Antivirus - are you saying you have none on your Mac? Why? Whilst there is still less chance of harm on a Mac there is still higher than none. macOS cannot protect you from files you download, sites you visit and so on, all of which have risks. Just because you don't see an issue does not mean there isn't one there.

Hibernate/sleep - No issues that I have experienced, not had to restart for the reasons you state.

Phone Integration - Not great, not bad. Really depends on what you want integrating?

PDF reader - PDF Expert, Adobe PDF reader, there are lots. More options than Mac.

Browser - MS Edge has been quite good, you can use any browser you want, trial and error.

There is nothing like Preview or PDF Expert on Windows. Nothing. I have searched and searched. Sure there may be more PDF choices but they all stink. Just as all PDF apps for Android stink compared to what is available with iOS. Apple and their developers know how to do PDF. And nothing else compares to the way Apple gear works together.

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
I have thrice tried a Windows laptop and went back to Apple. I like Windows 10, and you can get a lot of machine for the money, but for me it was two things. The smoothness of the trackpad on the Mac, and Preview. I frequently edit, highlight, and combine PDF's while I work. Nothing is as easy or intuitive (Or as affordable) as Preview. I will never purchase an Adobe subscription and pay a monthly fee just to edit PDF's. Until Windows gets that straight I will stay with Mac.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I have thrice tried a Windows laptop and went back to Apple. I like Windows 10, and you can get a lot of machine for the money, but for me it was two things. The smoothness of the trackpad on the Mac, and Preview. I frequently edit, highlight, and combine PDF's while I work. Nothing is as easy or intuitive (Or as affordable) as Preview. I will never purchase an Adobe subscription and pay a monthly fee just to edit PDF's. Until Windows gets that straight I will stay with Mac.
I don't know to much about PDF editing. Most i do with them really is download them to my surface and then mark them up or annotate with the pen on them. I at least can do the highlighting part lol.

I to used to be afraid of Windows trackpads but the one on my Surface Pro and Surface Book feel just as good and fluid and smooth as any apple trackpad i have used. The Surface line IMO is on par with Apple Trackpads. Some of the trackpads on other windows computers have come close but never matched. You might not have used one that is a windows precision trackpad, it makes all the difference than just the regular old OEM trackpads.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I have both types of computers.
Technically I have also Linux and Windows XP, but nvm that.
Windows have many issues you don't get with macOS. Having said that, I do use Windows OS more in every day "work" than macOS so it's not a fair comparison.
I have two main issues with Windows and two with Apple.

a) Windows have Microsoft behind them and the constant spying and bullying, especially since Windows 10, is just too much for me to want to use it as my main system. I can't absolutely CAN'T accept having patches pushed down my throat and constant nagging. I don't care if it's good for me or whatever else BS. It drives me crazy.
b) I have yet to find any Windows version which absolutely remembers every single Folder setting I have. I want folder X to be in "details" and sorted by "date modified"? Windows doesn't care, it will change them to whatever it feels fit. I will have for the billionth time have to reset the settings and have to manually add the sorting column and etc. HATE IT. Since Windows 95 the SAME FRAKING BS!

Apple/macOS,
a) I can accept higher prices compared to Windows machinesr, I can accept (even though I hate it) limited upgradability/repairability, but having no official store in the country (Greece), no "genius bar or whatever it is called, prices which are on purpose higher than anywhere else in the EU. No Apple Care. Depending on the store you might get extra protection from the store, but noone mentions Apple Care. Price deductions that never come here, like the recent reduced prices for memory and ssds. The constant complete and utter lack of any sign of respect for local customers, that is something that PISSES ME OFF.
For example, the same imac with vega 48, 8GB ram, 2TB SSD, top i9, in say Ireland it is 4559 euros. Here in Greece, 5668 euros. 1109 EXTRA euros for less support, less everything.
b) I don't remember.

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
I have both types of computers.
Technically I have also Linux and Windows XP, but nvm that.
Windows have many issues you don't get with macOS. Having said that, I do use Windows OS more in every day "work" than macOS so it's not a fair comparison.
I have two main issues with Windows and two with Apple.

a) Windows have Microsoft behind them and the constant spying and bullying, especially since Windows 10, is just too much for me to want to use it as my main system. I can't absolutely CAN'T accept having patches pushed down my throat and constant nagging. I don't care if it's good for me or whatever else BS. It drives me crazy.
b) I have yet to find any Windows version which absolutely remembers every single Folder setting I have. I want folder X to be in "details" and sorted by "date modified"? Windows doesn't care, it will change them to whatever it feels fit. I will have for the billionth time have to reset the settings and have to manually add the sorting column and etc. HATE IT. Since Windows 95 the SAME FRAKING BS!

Apple/macOS,
a) I can accept higher prices compared to Windows machinesr, I can accept (even though I hate it) limited upgradability/repairability, but having no official store in the country (Greece), no "genius bar or whatever it is called, prices which are on purpose higher than anywhere else in the EU. No Apple Care. Depending on the store you might get extra protection from the store, but noone mentions Apple Care. Price deductions that never come here, like the recent reduced prices for memory and ssds. The constant complete and utter lack of any sign of respect for local customers, that is something that PISSES ME OFF.
For example, the same imac with vega 48, 8GB ram, 2TB SSD, top i9, in say Ireland it is 4559 euros. Here in Greece, 5668 euros. 1109 EXTRA euros for less support, less everything.
b) I don't remember.

So basically you are willing to accept faults with Apple and make exceptions, but not with Windows. Got it.

Reactions: Mendota and Queen6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Are you sure you want to use Linux for image design? I bet, you will save lot of energy and sleep (efforts) if you use Mac for that instead.
If not Linux, then Windows*. Worse comes worse I’ll just write.:eek::D:D

*And finally start learning Affinity, when I go Windows...so it’s most likely Windows.

After all, I’ve just ditched drawing on the iPad for drawing traditionally -which for me is huge- because drawing on the iPad was the one of the things keeping me with Apple. As I’ve mentioned -too many times- the rampant touch disease and freeze ups while drawing on any iPad got to be too much.

Combine this with the TVapp, and Apple locking down everything including making internet access a must. We’re frequently kicked offline at home (thanks to neighbors) - I have to yell about it in order to get access again. And I dislike streaming.

I am so glad Apple stopped posting new Shaw Brothers movies to buy/rent now. It makes detaching from Apple even easier.

Will it be easy? No.

As I am proving to myself in going Lo-Fi to draw, it can be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
That's what you got? You clearly didn't get it then.

From what I can gather these two guys are incredible Apple-haters and any time Apple comes up you can read the resentment / hatefulness towards the brand and its products. I don't think they'll ever recognise the redeemable and downright amazing qualities of Apple. Whilst Apple is not perfect, there's a great case for supporting and loving the brand and its products too. These guys won't accept it.

Anytime a Mac / Apple solution is recommended they'll talk it down, point fingers at Apple for having problems and recommend avoiding it.

This is the Alternatives to Mac section, so it's the place for in-depth discussion of non-Apple hardware / software ~'solutions', of course. But, in saying that, there's no need for the anti-Apple agenda either. For most people, especially MacRumors users, they own or are considering a Mac and when it comes to Windows and Alternatives, Apple is still a very real consideration and/or option for them, so it's always involved. This is where the negative slamming of Apple begins.

While Apple has made some mistakes, these guys get incredibly defensive when the mistakes of say, Lenovo or Microsoft are mentioned and are quick to point at users 'not understanding' Windows or 'not being pro users' as justification. They talk about how happy they are to have left Apple and never look back, only thing is, when you have to repeatedly say it.. you know.

It's pretty indisputable that Macs are renowned for being incredibly easy to use, they house some Mac only software that for some people will never be matched, Apple looks after its customers, as of lately it actively listens to its customers for its new products, it has free education initiatives, physical stores (around the world), great support options and not-yet-matched device support for up to five years or more. To write them off as 'a disaster' is to discount this.

Most people here who use Windows are happy enough to forego all of this, and the Mac / Apple for specific strengths of non Apple products. Be it the user replaceable / upgradeable laptops Lenovo make, or the more tinker-friendly options Windows 10 allows end users versus the Mac. They don't care that they'll need to post off their machine for at least a week for repairs, that their built in speakers sound like trash, that battery life doesn't compare to a Mac. That's fine. More power to them. Some people have a limited number of features that they want to be outstanding, and couldn't care a less about the rest. I wish I could be like this, but Apple has me spoilt and my needs can accommodate where Apple is limited.

But they get incredibly moody when someone discusses the fact that, for most people, the well balanced approach taken by Apple where every single product is easy to use, easy to understand, won't let them down except for in extreme circumstances.. Let me demonstrate:

My friend with his gaming PC boasts about how his laptop can smoke my cousins 2015 MacBook Pro retina. On paper, it's got a better processor, more cores, power, double the Ram, still an SSD, etc - better on paper. For gaming, MacBook Pro will never compete. Ever. BUT, in reality, for my cousin (a typical user, who by no means needs a Mac at all, but has one) he sits there next to my friend, as they show each other stuff on their computers from YouTube videos to music, and here's how it goes: Firstly, you can still SEE the MBP display in the sunlight. To more than useable extent, the gaming laptop is barely visible. They play music, the MBP sounds clear, it's loud, no poor quality. The PC? Speakers are trash. Flat, whiny and not loud. The Mac doesn't have the charger plugged in, running out the door like the PC does. The Mac fans are running in the hot sun, but not possible to hear. The PC is like a jet turbine. So, for this bog standard user, who wins? The Mac, for this real life scenario where the computer is used socially, in the real world in a mobile setting and the 'inferior' Mac comes up better. The user had a better experience. This is what owning a Mac means to most people. So even if they're not a 'pro', the Mac still comes up better in many, many, many situations my friends.

Don't write them off as trash, because it can truly be argued the other way around. And I don't mean in a PC vs Mac wars thing, I mean using rational, logical and real world experiences. Not even being 'a fanboy'.

So, hope this helps balance out the anti-Apple agenda, as I keep seeing here.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nothing is as easy or intuitive (Or as affordable) as Preview.
No argument that Preview in many ways is the unsung hero of macOS

I will never purchase an Adobe subscription and pay a monthly fee just to edit PDF's. Until Windows gets that straight I will stay with Mac.
You do realize there are many, many pdf edditing applications on windows, so you don't have to buy an adobe subscription.

This is my own opinion, but I feel that the many built in abilities of macOS, such as preview were created/added simply because of the lack of apps. Back when Steve Jobs was promoting OS X 10.0, there were little to no native apps available. Again just my opinion, but Apple felt thy needed to show that the Mac could do the same as PCs so they included more so users wouldn't think it couldn't its just a computer with a new OS that can't do anything. Those features stuck around and Apple continued to add features like that while in large part windows relies on third parties to extend the power of windows.

Until Windows gets that straight I will stay with Mac.
You may prefer macOS, and that's fine, but there's nothing to get straight with windows, they do some things differently. If that difference annoys you or fails to meet your needs, then definitely stick with macOS. Other people prefer choices, and going with apple, choices are often apple's way or the high way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
From what I can gather these two guys are incredible Apple-haters and any time Apple comes up you can read the resentment / hatefulness towards the brand and its products. I don't think they'll ever recognise the redeemable and downright amazing qualities of Apple. Whilst Apple is not perfect, there's a great case for supporting and loving the brand and its products too. These guys won't accept it.

Anytime a Mac / Apple solution is recommended they'll talk it down, point fingers at Apple for having problems and recommend avoiding it.

This is the Alternatives to Mac section, so it's the place for in-depth discussion of non-Apple hardware / software ~'solutions', of course. But, in saying that, there's no need for the anti-Apple agenda either. For most people, especially MacRumors users, they own or are considering a Mac and when it comes to Windows and Alternatives, Apple is still a very real consideration and/or option for them, so it's always involved. This is where the negative slamming of Apple begins.

While Apple has made some mistakes, these guys get incredibly defensive when the mistakes of say, Lenovo or Microsoft are mentioned and are quick to point at users 'not understanding' Windows or 'not being pro users' as justification. They talk about how happy they are to have left Apple and never look back, only thing is, when you have to repeatedly say it.. you know.

It's pretty indisputable that Macs are renowned for being incredibly easy to use, they house some Mac only software that for some people will never be matched, Apple looks after its customers, as of lately it actively listens to its customers for its new products, it has free education initiatives, physical stores (around the world), great support options and not-yet-matched device support for up to five years or more. To write them off as 'a disaster' is to discount this.

Most people here who use Windows are happy enough to forego all of this, and the Mac / Apple for specific strengths of non Apple products. Be it the user replaceable / upgradeable laptops Lenovo make, or the more tinker-friendly options Windows 10 allows end users versus the Mac. They don't care that they'll need to post off their machine for at least a week for repairs, that their built in speakers sound like trash, that battery life doesn't compare to a Mac. That's fine. More power to them. Some people have a limited number of features that they want to be outstanding, and couldn't care a less about the rest. I wish I could be like this, but Apple has me spoilt and my needs can accommodate where Apple is limited.

But they get incredibly moody when someone discusses the fact that, for most people, the well balanced approach taken by Apple where every single product is easy to use, easy to understand, won't let them down except for in extreme circumstances.. Let me demonstrate:

My friend with his gaming PC boasts about how his laptop can smoke my cousins 2015 MacBook Pro retina. On paper, it's got a better processor, more cores, power, double the Ram, still an SSD, etc - better on paper. For gaming, MacBook Pro will never compete. Ever. BUT, in reality, for my cousin (a typical user, who by no means needs a Mac at all, but has one) he sits there next to my friend, as they show each other stuff on their computers from YouTube videos to music, and here's how it goes: Firstly, you can still SEE the MBP display in the sunlight. To more than useable extent, the gaming laptop is barely visible. They play music, the MBP sounds clear, it's loud, no poor quality. The PC? Speakers are trash. Flat, whiny and not loud. The Mac doesn't have the charger plugged in, running out the door like the PC does. The Mac fans are running in the hot sun, but not possible to hear. The PC is like a jet turbine. So, for this bog standard user, who wins? The Mac, for this real life scenario where the computer is used socially, in the real world in a mobile setting and the 'inferior' Mac comes up better. The user had a better experience. This is what owning a Mac means to most people. So even if they're not a 'pro', the Mac still comes up better in many, many, many situations my friends.

Don't write them off as trash, because it can truly be argued the other way around. And I don't mean in a PC vs Mac wars thing, I mean using rational, logical and real world experiences. Not even being 'a fanboy'.

So, hope this helps balance out the anti-Apple agenda, as I keep seeing here.

I think it’s awesome that folks can juggle more than OS.

I have nothing against people who still love Apple, I having been trying to detach since 2017 and am finally moving in that direction.

I adored Apple for many years, but am running into too many problems with hardware, software and my work flow to want to keep buying Apple tech, when they’re doing things that make me mad at prices that no longer are worth it to me.

I politely disagree re: anti-Apple. If one can back up their usage case as to how Apple no longer works for them, I think it’s good to hear that too.

Apple’s products no longer get out of my way and let me create. I have to think about the tech more than what I want to think about, and their laziness, hubris & greed just turns me off. Nothing I would love more than rocking a Mac with a great keyboard, an OS like Snow Leopard and just having fun creating. I know that probably will not happen now.

For me, use what is best for the person. If that’s Apple, a PC, Android, Linux or iOS, great.

I am learning to move past my fear of letting go of Apple. Proving to myself I can and will create without them.

I am grateful I have a safe space at this forum to discuss and learn about alternatives, and see how folks are adjusting or not.

I am also glad you are here, but I hope you can understand it’s not always an agenda too. :)

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018

I have nothing against people who still love Apple, I having been trying to detach since 2017 and am finally moving in that direction.

I adored Apple for many years, but am running into too many problems with hardware, software and my work flow to want to keep buying Apple tech, when they’re doing things that make me mad at prices that no longer are worth it to me.

I politely disagree re: anti-Apple. If one can back up their usage case as to how Apple no longer works for them, I think it’s good to hear that too.

Apple’s products no longer get out of my way and let me create. I have to think about the tech more than what I want to think about, and their laziness, hubris & greed just turns me off. Nothing I would love more than rocking a Mac with a great keyboard, an OS like Snow Leopard and just having fun creating. I know that probably will not happen now.

For me, use what is best for the person. If that’s Apple, a PC, Android, Linux or iOS, great.

I am learning to move past my fear of letting go of Apple. Proving to myself I can and will create without them.

I am grateful I have a safe space at this forum to discuss and learn about alternatives, and see how folks are adjusting or not.

I am also glad you are here, but I hope you can understand it’s not always an agenda too. :)

I really appreciate that reply. Thanks for not blowing up at it. My original message wasn't intended as provocative but just to sort of highlight something I keep seeing on here. I fully get your perspective and I agree, it's good to hear both sides of the coin for sure

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
No argument that Preview in many ways is the unsung hero of macOS

You do realize there are many, many pdf edditing applications on windows, so you don't have to buy an adobe subscription.

This is my own opinion, but I feel that the many built in abilities of macOS, such as preview were created/added simply because of the lack of apps. Back when Steve Jobs was promoting OS X 10.0, there were little to no native apps available. Again just my opinion, but Apple felt thy needed to show that the Mac could do the same as PCs so they included more so users wouldn't think it couldn't its just a computer with a new OS that can't do anything. Those features stuck around and Apple continued to add features like that while in large part windows relies on third parties to extend the power of windows.

You may prefer macOS, and that's fine, but there's nothing to get straight with windows, they do some things differently. If that difference annoys you or fails to meet your needs, then definitely stick with macOS. Other people prefer choices, and going with apple, choices are often apple's way or the high way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have tried several programs free, paid and even browser based for viewing or editing PDFs but none of them are as easy to use as preview. I referenced Adobe and singled them out because I feel they come the closest to Preview, but the cost of a subscription is prohibitive... in my opinion.

To respond to your comment as far a Windows getting it straight, my point is Windows should have an integrated PDF program as part of the OS. If they do it differently that’s fine. I can adapt. But to have to rely on outside programs to do a basic task ( in my opinion), that seems to be an overlooked issue? Or is handling PDFs not an important part of computing?

Who knows. Either way I’m not knocking Windows, but for me some things work better on MacOS. If I were a big gamer I’d feel the opposite. I use both OSs regularly.

[doublepost=1564511879][/doublepost]

I have a good friend who produces video content for several sports related networks. He used to be all Apple and FCP. He moved to Adobe and PCs for similar reasons. I was totally shocked when he told me. Since then he said he is happy with the switch and is very productive. He also said many companies and networks he deals with also have moved away from Apple and use PCs and Adobe for editing.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I have tried several programs free, paid and even browser based for viewing or editing PDFs but none of them are as easy to use as preview. I referenced Adobe and singled them out because I feel they come the closest to Preview, but the cost of a subscription is prohibitive... in my opinion.

To respond to your comment as far a Windows getting it straight, my point is Windows should have an integrated PDF program as part of the OS. If they do it differently that’s fine. I can adapt. But to have to rely on outside programs to do a basic task ( in my opinion), that seems to be an overlooked issue? Or is handling PDFs not an important part of computing?

Who knows. Either way I’m not knocking Windows, but for me some things work better on MacOS. If I were a big gamer I’d feel the opposite. I use both OSs regularly.

[doublepost=1564511879][/doublepost]

I have a good friend who produces video content for several sports related networks. He used to be all Apple and FCP. He moved to Adobe and PCs for similar reasons. I was totally shocked when he told me. Since then he said he is happy with the switch and is very productive. He also said many companies and networks he deals with also have moved away from Apple and use PCs and Adobe for editing.

I had this issue too. Comparing a number of paid (non subscription) PDF apps to compare and none of them looked very intuitive, though they did have the feature set. The best one looked like a Chinese copy of the current MS Office interface on Windows, actually! Lol But you were talking around £100 per decent package, if not more. It's aspects like this that make the Mac actually less expensive when you compare capability out of the box over a Windows PC sadly.

I think Microsoft is going to bring a PDF Editor out for Windows soon, because as the Mac gets more and more popular people will talk and suddenly things like this will be common knowledge, weighing in on consumer choice.

Adobe is really only suitable for large organisations now, definitely not home users who need a one off reasonably priced software package. So despite its benefits it was out of my consideration, and is probably out of yours too?

I was disappointed that the kind of software like PDF Element on Mac wasn't present on Windows. Nothing feels as lovingly made as apps like this, or as intuitive. That's the kind of thing Windows will never catch up to, not unless things change soon. Maybe they will. Who knows? But you know what a lot of us know... sometimes it's hard to beat the Mac no matter how many people boast about how much better Windows is.

Reactions: ApplesandOranges

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Well, I am back in the W10 groove.

When I was at the MS store and Best Buy last week, I had an a-ha moment about W10 machines, namely the keyboards. I rarely use the right shift key, and several W10 laptops have condensed, extended keyboards. I am somewhat familiar with extended keyboards thanks to my iMac's Logitech upstairs. Once I psychologically shifted as far as where my fingers needed to go, I had a easier time of considering options.

Long post short, I am typing this on an Asus Vivobook s15 (the higher specc'd silver 15") and it's fine. Typing on it is a joy (1.4 mm of travel) - I am flying on it. It's a nice laptop for general tasks. I am not expecting it to do much else, though I might eventually hook up a Wacom to it and try drawing from that.

Asus' version of the touchbar is their screenpad (2.0). I can see where this could be helpful once I am used to working on this laptop.

Minor Quibbles:

It does run a little warm under the keyboard sometimes, but I expect these things. Frankly for the price I paid, not going to complain. The silver color is really nice, except for the silver keys on the keyboard. This defeats the purpose of the backlighting and so I am not sure this will work in dark rooms. The speakers are also down firing which is a dumb choice, but these seem to handle my noisy death metal pretty well.

Superficially, I wish the alternative lid colors were available for the higher specc'd 15", but that's just me wanting something other than a silver computer.

Those things taken into consideration,

I already prefer this to the MBA I just sold, and this Asus is vastly superior to the Acer I got rid off (the display and keyboard are much, much better).

I'll eventually move some files over from the iMac and see how that goes.

I am happy I took another leap into W10 (yes, I've lost count too). I think it's smarter that I went with a starter laptop. And I got my Asus. :)

Some additional thoughts.

> I figured out how to turn the backlight off so the silver keys are fine in regular light.

> This machine hates being put to sleep. It freaked out both times I tried that (The laptop logged out instead, then the camera and Windows Hello was frantically looking for me to log back in). My Asus is scared to go to sleep! :p

> I do not like being logged into Microsoft all the time. I might create a password and buy the student/home edition of Office rather than using Office 365 (especially since I only use Word). So I lose the clingy Windows Hello... :D

> Microsoft Edge is crap on this machine.:confused: It acts a lot like Safari on the iPads, it scrolls and stutters a lot. I cannot read casually as the browser just acts like it’s possessed. I tried multiple web sites. Edge worked beautifully on the Surface Laptop 2. So I’ve downloaded Firefox...

Anyway, upwards and onwards.

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Well, I am back in the W10 groove.

When I was at the MS store and Best Buy last week, I had an a-ha moment about W10 machines, namely the keyboards. I rarely use the right shift key, and several W10 laptops have condensed, extended keyboards. I am somewhat familiar with extended keyboards thanks to my iMac's Logitech upstairs. Once I psychologically shifted as far as where my fingers needed to go, I had a easier time of considering options.

Long post short, I am typing this on an Asus Vivobook s15 (the higher specc'd silver 15") and it's fine. Typing on it is a joy (1.4 mm of travel) - I am flying on it. It's a nice laptop for general tasks. I am not expecting it to do much else, though I might eventually hook up a Wacom to it and try drawing from that.

Asus' version of the touchbar is their screenpad (2.0). I can see where this could be helpful once I am used to working on this laptop.

Minor Quibbles:

It does run a little warm under the keyboard sometimes, but I expect these things. Frankly for the price I paid, not going to complain. The silver color is really nice, except for the silver keys on the keyboard. This defeats the purpose of the backlighting and so I am not sure this will work in dark rooms. The speakers are also down firing which is a dumb choice, but these seem to handle my noisy death metal pretty well.

Superficially, I wish the alternative lid colors were available for the higher specc'd 15", but that's just me wanting something other than a silver computer.

Those things taken into consideration,

I already prefer this to the MBA I just sold, and this Asus is vastly superior to the Acer I got rid off (the display and keyboard are much, much better).

I'll eventually move some files over from the iMac and see how that goes.

I am happy I took another leap into W10 (yes, I've lost count too). I think it's smarter that I went with a starter laptop. And I got my Asus. :)

Some additional thoughts.

> I figured out how to turn the backlight off so the silver keys are fine in regular light.

> This machine hates being put to sleep. It freaked out both times I tried that (The laptop logged out instead, then the camera and Windows Hello was frantically looking for me to log back in). My Asus is scared to go to sleep! :p

> I do not like being logged into Microsoft all the time. I might create a password and buy the student/home edition of Office rather than using Office 365 (especially since I only use Word). So I lose the clingy Windows Hello... :D

> Microsoft Edge is crap on this machine.:confused: It acts a lot like Safari on the iPads, it scrolls and stutters a lot. I cannot read casually as the browser just acts like it’s possessed. I tried multiple web sites. Edge worked beautifully on the Surface Laptop 2. So I’ve downloaded Firefox...

Anyway, upwards and onwards.

Kazmac,

Congratulations on this purchase. You have been on quite a journey searching for a good PC and going back and forth between the two operating systems. I fully appreciate it is somewhat daunting to contemplate switching from Apple to the competition and even more daunting to actually make the switch. If I may offer some unsolicited advice which may protect your finances and peace of mind: take your time to really explore Windows and this pc. You will encounter things that will cause frustration and possibly anger. Take a deep breath, research the issue or go for a walk or watch a film and then go back to the new pc with a fresh perspective. Give this transition a few weeks. If you can then tell yourself that you really gave the change your full effort then there is no harm in admitting that Apple is the place for you. But you may be surprised and find that things are working well and that T. Cook will have to look to someone else to pad his retirement fund.

Good luck!

Reactions: kazmac

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have been thinking quite long time to switch from Mac due to its high price. I am avid apple users anyway with 2 iMac, 4 macbook, 6 iphone and ipad. But I am still uncomfortable with Windows:

- Isn't that annoying to have antivirus that keep watching what you are doing, and ask for updates (only to make them 'smarter' catching the virus)?
- How reliable is hibernate/sleep in windows? I used windows laptop at my work and it needs to restart once a week after sleep/hibernate/resume during the week.
- How reliable / comfortable its integration with my phone. I used Notes in laptop and need to get them synced to my phone as I will read/continue writing with my phone
- PDF reader? Mac has Preview (which is quite good and lite) and PDF Expert (which also quite good, fast and lite). How about windows?
- Browser? Should I use IE or Ms. Edge (which I still confuse, their difference), or Chrome (with trade-off in battery)? Mac has Safari which will do most of browsing needs efficiently.

On the other side, I saw many positive on windows:
- some laptops are built very good, even really good and worth the money (i.e. asus zenbook)
- windows 10 is now more stable
- Ms. Office is much more polished than in Mac
- There are some applications available only on Windows

Should I switch? or should I wait?

What software do you need to run?

If it is "general internet", "some games" and Office 365 (in a browser), then Linux may actually do it these days.

Try Pop! OS

Yes you'll have to give up some apps and learn others, but free, open source, much better performance in general (browsing/networking noticeably much faster than windows, lower memory use, less background crap going on)...

Except for my Macbook and the iDevices, i'm 100% Linux/FreeNAS at home now.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Kazmac,

Congratulations on this purchase. You have been on quite a journey searching for a good PC and going back and forth between the two operating systems. I fully appreciate it is somewhat daunting to contemplate switching from Apple to the competition and even more daunting to actually make the switch. If I may offer some unsolicited advice which may protect your finances and peace of mind: take your time to really explore Windows and this pc. You will encounter things that will cause frustration and possibly anger. Take a deep breath, research the issue or go for a walk or watch a film and then go back to the new pc with a fresh perspective. Give this transition a few weeks. If you can then tell yourself that you really gave the change your full effort then there is no harm in admitting that Apple is the place for you. But you may be surprised and find that things are working well and that T. Cook will have to look to someone else to pad his retirement fund.

Good luck!

I thank you for being one of many who has kindly put up with my PC drama, but the Asus died last night...

Wouldn’t turn back on.:rolleyes: It was charged. I tried pulling it in, nope. On the phone with Amazon tech and Asurion for several hours.

Tried again this morning and still dead. :confused:Returning it.

Not angry at all. These things happen (and it’s happened so many times over the past 3 years, I am numb to it).

Just find it almost hilarious at this point.

I was taking the differences in my stride (and used a wired mouse), and being a lot more patient.

Very good advice (as usual).

:oops:Thanks everyone, just going to ride the fumes of my iMac and regroup.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.