Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrScottyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I use an iPhone and an iPad. I receive notifications for emails, Facebook, twitter and a bunch of other apps on both devices. I'm looking for a way to sync the notifications across both so that when I read the notification on one device, it's not still waiting on the other.

Is this possible?

Reactions: RayVra

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I use an iPhone and an iPad. I receive notifications for emails, Facebook, twitter and a bunch of other apps on both devices. I'm looking for a way to sync the notifications across both so that when I read the notification on one device, it's not still waiting on the other.

Is this possible?

I don't think it will remove the notification on the other device.

RayVra

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
San Diego
I agree, Apple needs to figure out a way to ensure that when a notification is removed on the iPhone that it is also removed on the iPad and vice versa. As it is, it is very ANNOYING…!!!

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I’m absolutely convinced that many years ago notifications did used to sync but I find it very annoying that they don’t.

Reactions: ziriko

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I’m absolutely convinced that many years ago notifications did used to sync but I find it very annoying that they don’t.

Depends on the app/service. Notifications are either local or push. Local, as the name implies, generated by/on the device. Push, service manages that on the backend and can put in the ability to clear across devices when user reacts, if programmed for that by the developer.

Quote from https://developer.apple.com/documentation/usernotifications/

You can generate notifications locally from your app or remotely from a server that you manage. For local notifications, the app creates the notification content and specifies a condition, like a time or location, that triggers the delivery of the notification. For remote notifications, your company’s server generates push notifications, and Apple Push Notification service (APNs) handles the delivery of those notifications to the user’s devices.

Use this framework to do the following:

• Define the types of notifications that your app supports.
  • Define any custom actions associated with your notification types.
  • Schedule local notifications for delivery.
  • Process already delivered notifications.
  • Respond to user-selected actions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.