Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Hi

I am new to iPhone (iPhone 11, iOS 13) (had it for about a week) so please be gentle with me. :)

I used to be Android for years so all my life so far been android. However I felt like a change so I got myself a iPhone 11.

I set up my Gmail e-mail, google contacts, tasks and calendar all synced up without any issues.

Unfortunately I have noticed the following after I migrated to iPhone:
My wife sends me a meeting invite from her iPhone using my gmail address. The meeting invite immediately pops up in my iPhone calendar but not in my gmail calendar. I just prefer to use gmail calendar because when I open month view I can see all the events (in iPhone calendar, you just see dots).

I did a bit of research to it and can't figure it out...

Can you please help me out here?

Thank you.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Just tested on my iPhone 8 w/iOS 13 and event (invitation) shows up in both the stock Calendar app and the Google Calendar app.

For clarification...is your wife sending from a Google calendar?

I don't know of any setting at Google that would prevent the event from showing in their iOS app.

Have you tried a test by sending your Google account an invite from a third calendar?

mark47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Just tested on my iPhone 8 w/iOS 13 and event (invitation) shows up in both the stock Calendar app and the Google Calendar app.

For clarification...is your wife sending from a Google calendar?

I don't know of any setting at Google that would prevent the event from showing in their iOS app.

Have you tried a test by sending your Google account an invite from a third calendar?
Hi, she creates the invite in the iPhone calendar... So it works from iPhone calendar to iPhone calendar but not from iPhone calendar to google calendar...
[automerge]1575553629[/automerge]
There are also tons of 3rd party calendar apps that can do pretty much everything.
thx for your response. What would you recommend?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Not quite the same thing but this morning before reading your post, I created a new event on my Mac's native calendar and it's in my iOS calendar which uses my G Mail account. Also, last evening, I created an appointment on my iPhone and it's in my native iOS calendar. Both events are in my Google Calendar. I've checked the iPhone app as well as the Google Calendar via the web.

Under Settings>Accounts do you have your G Mail account listed with Mail, Contacts, Calendars all turned on?

mark47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Not quite the same thing but this morning before reading your post, I created a new event on my Mac's native calendar and it's in my iOS calendar which uses my G Mail account. Also, last evening, I created an appointment on my iPhone and it's in my native iOS calendar. Both events are in my Google Calendar. I've checked the iPhone app as well as the Google Calendar via the web.

Under Settings>Accounts do you have your G Mail account listed with Mail, Contacts, Calendars all turned on?
Hi Thank you for your response. Yes absolutely G mail account is listed and mail, contacts and calendars are all turned on. I've attached a screenshot...
gmail.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, she creates the invite in the iPhone calendar... So it works from iPhone calendar to iPhone calendar but not from iPhone calendar to google calendar...
It's possible that she simply creates an invite/event in her iPhone/iCloud calendar and that sends it just to your iPhone/iCloud calendar instead of actually going to your Google account (in particular if you are using your Google email address as your Apple ID).

mark47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
It's possible that she simply creates an invite/event in her iPhone/iCloud calendar and that sends it just to your iPhone/iCloud calendar instead of actually going to your Google account (in particular if you are using your Google email address as your Apple ID).
Hi, Thank you for your response. yes my Apple ID is my gmail e-mail address. Would it help if I change my Apple ID to something different (not my gmail e-mail address). Thank you

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, Thank you for your response. yes my Apple ID is my gmail e-mail address. Would it help if I change my Apple ID to something different (not my gmail e-mail address). Thank you
What likely would make a difference is if the event was being added to Google Calendar on your wife's side inviting your Google account since it seems to be made on an iPhone/iCloud calendar inviting your iPhone/iCloud account and not involving Google at all.

mark47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Have a look in Settings -> Calendar, what's the default calendar set to?
Hi, thanks for your response, the default calendar is my e-mail address but with @googlemail.com (not gmail.com) not sure whether it changes anything
[automerge]1575583877[/automerge]
For context, my Apple ID also uses my G Mail address. Have you tried contacting Apple Support?
I will be calling them tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: staggerlee41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.